Cot in Tent

Stuart

Adventurist
Founding Member
I have always used an air mattress/sleeping pad in the tents I've used. I acquired an OzTent and have thought of using my cot inside but don't want to damage the floor with the six Half-Dollar sized feet. Those of you that use cots in tents, what do you use to protect the floors of your tents?

Thanks.

I've used my Slumberjack cot in Barlows Kodiak tent a number of times, with no damage!

Use a sturdy tarp and maybe something between the tent and the cot? :)

hotdog

Those of you that use cots in tents, what do you use to protect the floors of your tents?

My brother-in-law James (jim65wagon) uses coasters, you know the things your suppose to put beneath your condensation laden glass on when at the wife's dining room table, under the legs of their cots. They don't take up much packing space and work real well.

My brother-in-law James (jim65wagon) uses coasters, you know the things your suppose to put beneath your condensation laden glass on when at the wife's dining room table, under the legs of their cots. They don't take up much packing space and work real well.

Great idea

I had thought about those furniture sliding disks, but that would be just as hard of a surface as the cot feet only bigger. Coasters on the other hand would have some give on both sides, assuming I get the right kind. Thanks.

Haggis said:
I had thought about those furniture sliding disks, but that would be just as hard of a surface as the cot feet only bigger. Coasters on the other hand would have some give on both sides, assuming I get the right kind. Thanks.

What we use are furniture caster cups.

These are Graingers but we got our from Lowes, or WalMart....I'm old and don't remember that far back

Realistically any of the sliders would work, as long as the offer a larger surface area than the cot feet. The hardwood floor ones have the felt bottoms. The carpet sliders should have rounded edges which would eliminate anything cutting into the floor,

I would think that you could cut up one of the (formerly) cheap sleeping pads that you can buy in most camping sections and stick it under the legs. A hidden benefit to this is that you can use them in your chair or on the ground to help insulate your bum or back from cold air.

I would think that you could cut up one of the (formerly) cheap sleeping pads that you can buy in most camping sections and stick it under the legs. A hidden benefit to this is that you can use them in your chair or on the ground to help insulate your bum or back from cold air.

Great idea!

Hey Stuart. On our cheaper tents, ala Rei stuff I get the 4x4 carpet samples from Home Depot. They are the greatest price ever to.....FREE!!!

Dad used to use a USGI cot. I remember he used to use tennis balls on the ends of the legs for just that reason. Cut a slice in the ball, and squeeze it open like PacMan. slip it over the leg and viola!

Not if you used the felt ones.

x2 on the Slumberjack cot on the floor of a Springbar tent - no issues or worries. Sand and rock tested.

Dad used to use a USGI cot. I remember he used to use tennis balls on the ends of the legs for just that reason. Cut a slice in the ball, and squeeze it open like PacMan. slip it over the leg and viola!

This is what I use - works great!

838851994_MG8eU-XL.jpg

611_crop.jpg

Every now and then I walk into a thrift store just to see what's available, and today I decided to walk into the AmVets Thrift Store off Pacific Highway, just for the heck of it... didn't even make it inside before I saw something interesting outside, where the store employees exhibit merchandise on the sidewalk. I think what I saw, and there were several of them, were some kind of rollup yoga pads? Maybe some other kind of exercise pad? At first, I thought they were sleeping pads, which I use (doubled or tripled up) beneath the fartsack in my tent, but these looked slightly different, though possibly useful as sleeping pads, 10-4? Probably not tough enough to withstand direct pressure from the end of a cot leg, but maybe useful for those cots with rounded horizontal aluminum "feet"---the tubular kind of feet which stretch across beneath the cot at each end and in the center. For those campers whose cot legs end in narrow feet, I reckon the carpet samples, tennis balls, or the right kind of coasters would do the trick, though coasters are relatively small in diameter, and a big guy throwing himself down on the cot might displace the legs, or coasters, or whatever... Going back to those rollup yoga pads or whatever the hell they were, some of them looked pretty nice, maybe not as large as my current sleeping pads, but still adequate and possibly more comfortable than the sleeping pads. Nothing like a little insulation between your body and the "cold prairie" beneath your tent, LOL... I'm shamelessly borrowing that phrase from that "OPEN RANGE" flick, which was a good movie. Anyway, I bought some burly field shorts instead, I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for good thick baggy field shorts for hiking and climbing: I use a pop rivet gun and stainless steel washers to take in the waist of the huge oversized shorts I buy, which works very well and costs WAY less than a cobbler or seamstress. I wear a web belt in the field all the time, so nobody can see my "alterations" (LOL). Back on topic (somewhat), I now know where there are some nice yoga pads or whatever the hell those were, so I'll go back and take more time to unroll each one and examine the lot... today, I stopped in on the fly, because I also wanted to visit West Marine and price some gear, which I did before hitting my final stop (grocery store). I still think that, with the right folding cot design, one of those pads might serve well to cushion the "feet" or cot legs, especially those rounded hoop kind, right? Just my $.02, let me move on here, but not before I THANK ALL VETERANS FOR THEIR SERVICE TO THIS COUNTRY!!! :flag

Oh, yeah, Hilldweller, I forgot to mention that those tent shots of yours don't quite fit the image of an "unsophisticated rustic" (LOL)... if THAT'S unsophisticated, I need to hurry up and move to the country, 10-4??? :lol

And to clarify another statement for other readers, when I said "web belt" I meant a small uniform web belt, the kind I always wear which anyone can buy at a surplus store, NOT the large load-carrying web belt also associated with military uniforms, 10-4???

Last edited:
x2 on the Slumberjack cot on the floor of a Springbar tent - no issues or worries. Sand and rock tested.

x3 on this until I sold the Springbar for a Globetrotter. I also used a thermarest on the cot for a little add'l insulation on cooler/cold nights. Cots aren't as bad as an uninsulated air mattress, but cold air circulates under the cot and the thermarest was great insulation and just a little added padding on the cot too!

Back
Top Bottom