Corona Virus, general conversation

Wife is doing much better. Still has an occasional coughing fit. We are glad she getting better. No one else is ill. We think our daughter may have had it a month before she did. We will find out someday when an accurate anti-body test is available.

That’s great news :thumbsup

Sat on 5 hours of conference calls yesterday putting a positive spin on furloughs and being told that with unemployment benefits and the CARES act my direct reports and I will actually make more money than if we were working!

Research reveals that this is not true at all... :mad:

Sat on 5 hours of conference calls yesterday putting a positive spin on furloughs and being told that with unemployment benefits and the CARES act my direct reports and I will actually make more money than if we were working!

Research reveals that this is not true at all... :mad:
Only people that work in states like Florida, with low wages and really shitty unemployment benefits may earn more than if they were working.

Last edited:
My observations from the data I've been following:

# of new cases over the last 5 days:

4/09 = 34,393
4/10 = 34,239
4/11 = 30,108
4/12 = 27,518
4/13 = 26,559

Subtle downward trend, but I'll take it. Number of deaths-per-day is also trending downward.

Source: https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en?

My observations from the data I've been following:

# of new cases over the last 5 days:

4/09 = 34,393
4/10 = 34,239
4/11 = 30,108
4/12 = 27,518
4/13 = 26,559

Subtle downward trend, but I'll take it. Number of deaths-per-day is also trending downward.

Source: https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en?

I have read in the news there has been some struggle to get testing materials. Unfortunately these numbers do not likely, and never had, reflect the true extent of the pandemic, but it is all we have.

I have read in the news there has been some struggle to get testing materials. Unfortunately these numbers do not likely, and never had, reflect the true extent of the pandemic, but it is all we have.

Agreed, but some data is better than no data. Plus, there's been more testing now, even with shortages, then there was months ago.

A family member fell ill in CA.

Within 48 hours of presenting to the PCM, they were able to be tested and diagnosed as NOT having COVID-19 at a local civilian hospital.

Pretty damn impressed with how long the turn around was on testing. We're getting better at dealing with this.

I called this as happening two weeks ago...

https://news.yahoo.com/navy-removes-126-hospital-ship-143854416.html

Created two more "cruise ships" full of infected people by using hospital ships.

I wouldn't buy into the sensationalism too much here. Shit happens, and this is the reality in ANY hospital setting ashore or afloat. Infection is a thing, and a risk that cannot be entirely avoided. Better to be there and doing something than to have remained in port and been unresponsive during a time of need. Anyone who chooses to work in the medical field understands, and accepts, the risks associated with tending to the sick and injured.

Cacth 22 for the USN my friend.

In regard to testing, our local/regional health system has not had any trouble testing as many people who present with symptoms enough to have either the emergency dept or their primary care doc. The key being that not just anyone can ask for a test, it has to be a physician order. We have plenty on hand for the population we serve.

A friends Mother, who's in a nursing home, was showing symptoms. At the hospital she tested positive for COVID-19. She's doing okay. Well enough to not keep her in the hospital so they wanted to discharge her. The nursing home on the other hand is asking that they don't because they have no way to keep her isolated. My friend, and her Mother, are caught in the middle.

It also hit me that almost all nursing home in the US follow the same model and given the number of nursing homes that are COVID-19 hot spots in the US the inability to isolate residents/patients is a serious flaw in the system.

Texas light sweet crude May futures fell, trading as much as -35$/barrel, yes negative. The Oklahoma storage facility is almost full. This oil is used primarily for Gasoline, Kerosene and Diesel. I doubt this price will stay negative for too long as this is very desirable crude, Crude and distillate storage is filling up fast world wide.

Other futures are still in the black, for now.

The May futures contract for oil expires soon. You are obligated to take physical delivery of the oil should you own the contract upon expiration. There is nowhere to store such oil.

So, if you don't have anywhere to store the oil you're willing to pay someone to relieve you of your responsibility to take physical delivery of your oil (actually the financial obligation that attaches to oil in storage).

Actual physical delivery of the oil doesn't happen since the oil is in pipelines, terminals etc.

The June contract was down about $2 a barrel today.

Let’s see what happens before we read too much into it, but clearly two things are guaranteed now:

Someone gets screwed.

Someone gets rich.

Watch as the stay at home orders lift and gas prices go right back where they were or higher.

While lower prices at the pump feel good, this cannot be good for the overall economy. I don't know much about it but it sure does not seem good.

June futures are starting to drop. Refineries have permission to keep producing "winter blend" fuels for now. Even as states start to ease travel restrictions, demand for fuel in light vehicles will stay low. Although a few states rely on crude oil production and refining, the US can absorb the economic loss as a whole. Countries depend on crude oil sales will not limit production for long.

Back
Top Bottom