Corona Virus, general conversation

I was in a large grocery store today and there were considerably more than 60 or 70 people there. In some aisles with 15 or 20 people it was impossible to keep "social distance."

This is hard to believe, the governor of Arizona has the National Guard assigned to stocking shelves in grocery stores.

Do you live in New Jersey? In many states, social distancing and maximum crowds are merely "strongly encouraged". Jersey has apparently chosen to make them both mandatory and legally enforceable.

I was in a large grocery store today and there were considerably more than 60 or 70 people there. In some aisles with 15 or 20 people it was impossible to keep "social distance."
Do you live in New Jersey? In many states, social distancing and maximum crowds are merely "strongly encouraged". Jersey has apparently chosen to make them both mandatory and legally enforceable.
Even after the all governor's call with the pres and vice-pres the other night, which prompted all the new statewide orders, there seems to be a disparaging difference in how states are putting things into effect and how they say they can enforce it.

I understand each state may have need to modify an 'order' for their state based on population density, number of populated areas, etc, though wonder that there isn't a bit more consistency in approach.

In the state of Maine's new statewide order, typical large chain groceries are limited to 75 people in store, and the below:

MaineEO-200331-DnE.jpg

With larger stores like Lowe's, Target, Walmart etc having their own restrictions. Actually the whole order is all very well spelled out.

The grocery down the street already had plexi shields up at checkouts, and the marine supply store I go to has taped lines on the floor at the end of each aisle and a 6' line taped at the help/info desk.

Violators to all subject to a $1000 fine and six months in jail.

That said, Maine ranks third in the nation as far as folks engaged in outdoor activities. All the orders I've seen, for cities or the state, still allow travel
if limited to those from the same household, and encourage folks to get out and walk the dog, bike, hike, in safe areas, meaning no rock climbing, etc.

Interesting times!

Last edited:
We found out just now, my wife will not be able to get her test results. No one will. The form and the sample were separated

I am not sure if this info from Johns Hopkins has been shared yet, but it breaks down some of the science to a point that even I can understand it.
Johns Hopkins University sent this excellent summary:
* The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code. (mutation) and convert them into aggressor and multiplier cells.
* Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.
* The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub so much: for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam). By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.
* HEAT melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 25 degrees Celsius for washing hands, clothes and everything. In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.

just a note.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/johns-hopkins-covid-summary/

misattributed. half of that stuff is referenced from random social media posts.

• fat is still fat in the presence of a surfactant, it does nothing to actually remove viruses from their lipids surrounding them
  • heat doesn't melt the fat, it actually denatures the proteins causing the rna structure to breakdown
  • coronaviruses are a subset of rna viruses
  • ad infinitum

just as a couple of examples.

NEW YORK — In a move that could ease the passage of bodies from refrigerated morgues to cemeteries, Gov. Andrew Cuomo is considering
allowing out-of-state funeral directors to work in New York under the license of an existing practitioner, a state official told POLITICO.

The potential executive order would dovetail with an existing effort by the state's Funeral Directors Association to recruit upstate funeral directors to New York City to help their overwhelmed colleagues.

Overburdened funeral homes are running out of space to process bodies, with the lockdown forcing them to abbreviate mourning rituals — an idea no one seems to relish.

Updated yesterday but I haven’t seen it posted yet here. The CDC has updated guidance in wearing facial covering. Previously they said no. Now, yes, but not necessarily a mask. Leave medical grade masks for medical use, and use bandannas, scarves, tshirts, etc

The change here is less about protecting you from breathing something in, and more about keeping asymptomatic, infected individuals from expelling something for you to breath in. More here. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html

Right now, the best thing any of us can do is to stay home.

E41791D4-A53D-4972-B5C1-7810012D47C1.jpeg

jackasses_0816-800.jpg

edited to add: It was brought to my attention that:

From Snopes:

However much truth that parable may hold, it isn’t directly applicable to this picture, which has nothing to do with World War II, or landmines, or any danger the donkey might have posed had it been allowed to run free.​
The picture actually dates from 1958, during the Algerian War (i.e., a war for independence waged against French forces in Colonial Algeria). And it depicts a starving donkey that was rescued by a member of the French Foreign Legion who carried it back to his base, where the animal was nursed back to health, given the name “Bambi,” and adopted as a unit mascot — as described by author Douglas Porch in his 1991 history of the Legion.​
.​

Last edited:
just a note.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/johns-hopkins-covid-summary/

misattributed. half of that stuff is referenced from random social media posts.

• fat is still fat in the presence of a surfactant, it does nothing to actually remove viruses from their lipids surrounding them
  • heat doesn't melt the fat, it actually denatures the proteins causing the rna structure to breakdown
  • coronaviruses are a subset of rna viruses
  • ad infinitum

just as a couple of examples.
Thanks for this.

Some time ago a local government official was talking about washing his hands. There were no pastel ladened church services, egg hunts, or large ham dinners with friends and family. Something big was happening.

Happy Easter AA crew.

Back
Top Bottom