"Come Up"

bob91yj

Adventurist
Founding Member
I'm a "recycler" so to speak...for those that don't know me, my wife and I have lived in a travel trailer for over 3 years now (still loving the lifestyle), anyway, I've discovered that weekend campers throw away an amazing amount of usable camping gear. I was walking my dogs tonight, walked past a trash can, what looked to be an almost new battery powered lantern sitting there, I couldn't resist, took it home to see what the issue was...

I took the bottom off of the battery compartment, 8-D cell batteries, one had corroded...dumped the batteries in my battery trash bin (dispose of them at work, auto dealership), got a can of Coke from the neighbor, poured it over the corroded terminals, hit it with a hose, looks like new. A couple of minutes with a blow dryer, 8 new batteries, damn thing is just like new! Looked it up on line, $50 at Wally World. It's now hanging under my awning/patio, perfect fit.

Not the greatest "find", but I'll take it, I'm sure there are plenty of others out there, what's your story?

I know some weekend warriors who fly in.. they buy all they need at wally world when they arrive and dump it or give it away when it;s time to fly out.. cheaper than flying it home... or flying your good gear out and back.

9E9184D6-3EAE-4000-ABF1-BDA5B30EE4BE.jpeg

Come up lantern is hanging in the middle of the awning. Trailer life version of a man cave!

I don't remember having so many battery problems 20 years ago, have they changed the chemistry to make them explode so often? I've started removing my batteries in between uses to avoid that exact circumstance.

I don't remember having so many battery problems 20 years ago, have they changed the chemistry to make them explode so often? I've started removing my batteries in between uses to avoid that exact circumstance.

Totally agree.

Totally agree.

I was thinking the same thing the other day as I was trying to knock a AA battery out of a MiniMag light that I'd converted to LED. It was an Energizer too, not a Harbor Freight or something.

Back
Top Bottom