Cold Meals

Greg

Adventurist
Senior Staff
We've all arrived at campsite late and decide cooking wasn't an option. I'm curious as to what everyone has done. See if I've missed anything.

What I've done in the past:
  • The Gran Torino special. Jerky and beer.
  • Cold cut sandwiches.
  • Salad, any type.
  • Of course you've got your trail bars. Kind, etc.
  • Trail mix and mixed nuts
  • Junk food of course
  • And of course the liquid meals
There's got to be more than this.

Last edited:
We've all arrived at campsite late and decide cooking wasn't an option. I'm curious as to what everyone has done. See if I've missed anything.

What I've done in the past:
  • The Gran Torino special. Jerky and beer.
  • Cold cut sandwiches.
  • Salad, any type.
  • Of course you've got your trail bars. Kind, etc.
  • Trail mix and mixed nuts
  • Junk food of course
  • And of course the liquid meals
There's got to be more than this.
Anything straight from the can. Spaghetti-Os with meatballs is pretty awesome.

Mountain House dehydrated meals. Hillshire small meal Salami cheese and crackers. I call them lunchables for adults.

Salami or summer sausage and cheese.

We managed a night in the tent earlier this week, and Susanne made some chimichuri (spelling?). That and some bread to dip it in with sliced avocados and sliced tomatoes and onions works out real good.

I actually try to menu plan for at least one "fark it" meal on most trips: The meal where you've either arrived late to camp, or hiked too long and are bushed, or some buddies showed up and loaded you full of guacamole and chips at 4pm and you don't have much of an appetite after dark, but the kiddo needs to eat.

Previous fark-it meals:
Barilla Ready-Pasta (heat & eat)
Plain quesadillas
Miso packets in hot(ish) water
Crackers, Cheese, salami, Apples, Carrot sticks
Fried chicken, cold from the fridge (pre-made at home or store-bought)
Pre-made pasta salad (this recipe, in particular, travels very well and has no mayo so it doesn't get gross in the fridge or after sitting out for a bit)

Hillshire small meal Salami cheese and crackers. I call them lunchables for adults.
Salami or summer sausage and cheese.

Great idea. Packs well too.

We managed a night in the tent earlier this week, and Susanne made some chimichuri (spelling?). That and some bread to dip it in with sliced avocados and sliced tomatoes and onions works out real good.

Now you got me thinking. Hummus and naan. Or you can pre-mix some olive oil and herbs for cooking or simply just dipping bread into for a fark it meal.

When I was young and had limited time I would get into camp after dark. Now I don't have to. Makes trips much nicer.

Screenshot_20200621-003606_Chrome.jpg

Plus two pieces of bread (or a tortilla) and a mayo packet swiped from a fast food joint.

Beef summer sausage, Ritz crackers, and a good smoked Gouda

Bacon wrapped figs (prepared at home)

Sliced apples and a nice sharp Cheddar

Pita chips and hummus

Cold fried chicken is good

Pizza. It’s hard to beat cold pizza ;)

A favorite meal of mine can be eaten hot or cold, breakfast/lunch/dinner, and can be prepared in advance at home and pre-portioned.

1 (or 2) Beef Polska kielbasa
Diced pre-cooked bacon (optional)
1 bag of Ore Ida potatoes (potatoes O’Brian with onions and bell peppers)
1 can of corn
1 can of green beans
You choice of shredded cheese

1. Slice up the sausage and brown it in a pan.

2. Fry the potatoes in another pan (use oil). Season to taste (I like Slap Yo Mama Cajun seasoning, or SPG/salt, pepper and garlic). Cover.

3. When potatoes are done, add the veggies and cover.

4. Once it’s all happy, add the sausage. Stir.
Add the cheese,

Voila!

Oh this is good! Tuna creations are a backpacking go to for us. Slap on tortilla, cream cheese done. I like the hot buffalo (but it's not hot....) the individual packets of cream cheese (Costco usually has them) last for a disturbingly long time. Even un refrigerated.

Hot smoked cheddar also lasts forever. The smoking must take some of the oils out as it doesn't get funky like a regular cheddar.

Cheese and salami is a good one. Knife, headlamp, dinner. Can't argue with cold pizza either.

Canned beef, yeah it's good.... Wife is Russian and the Russian grocery store has some really good ones. Whip up pasta (cook at home) and it's good.

Cold phad tahi is really good too.

Oh this is good! Tuna creations are a backpacking go to for us. Slap on tortilla, cream cheese done. I like the hot buffalo (but it's not hot....) the individual packets of cream cheese (Costco usually has them) last for a disturbingly long time. Even un refrigerated.

Hot smoked cheddar also lasts forever. The smoking must take some of the oils out as it doesn't get funky like a regular cheddar.

Cheese and salami is a good one. Knife, headlamp, dinner. Can't argue with cold pizza either.

Canned beef, yeah it's good.... Wife is Russian and the Russian grocery store has some really good ones. Whip up pasta (cook at home) and it's good.

Cold phad tahi is really good too.

Where do you get hot smoked cheddar?

Well precooked, you can slow cook some chicken or beef in salsa and then shred it and portion it out in vacuum bags. Pack some pico and some other fixings. Then make tacos.

Of course there's always a bowl of Captain Crunch.

There's a few packets of oatmeal in my carbs box that I carry with me. If firing up a jet boil to boil some water is too much trouble then maybe I should just crawl into the sleeping bag.

Back
Top Bottom