"Circle The Wagons". Or is it to Early to plan?

I'll be heading out from Austin, TX, area on Monday May 8. Camping two nights in NM then on to AZ. Not sure if I'll get to Flagstaff Wed or Thur. Campground doesn't open until Thursday at 1pm. Pre party is Wednesday eve. First day of driving is mostly I-10 to Las Cruces. After that up to Chaco Culture (Gallo campground). After that it's a tossup, several places I'd like to see on the way to Flagstaff. Picked up the event + camping not the full experience. I've been on a couple of sites and haven't seen anyone else leaving from Central Texas so will be going alone with the company of my dog Tank.

Haven't been on this site much, pretty new here so don't know anyone. I'll enjoy perusing the campground areas looking at rigs and talking with folks.

You may have seen this announcement on social media...

IMG_7968.jpg

Join us at Overland Expo as we celebrate the upcoming adventures of ExpeditionOverland in South America! There will be top shelf beer courtesy of Ninkasi as well as PRIZES! Tickets for the big party giveaway will be available at our booth (7D/8D) as well as at the Equipt booth (15) and ExpeditionOverland booth (14) on Friday and Saturday when you like/follow each companies Facebook page. We hope you can join us Saturday night at Overland Expo West - it's going to be awesome!

I'm planning on departing So-Cal either after work Wednesday night, or first thing Thursday morning to arrive early for 1200 check in. Anyone want to caravan?

Gallo campground is nice
I told my wife there probably isn't cell signal out there, she seemed distressed. We have Verizon, judging by their map Chaco Culture / Gallo is a dead zone. I told her I'd give her updates on my trip and activated location sharing on Google maps so we can see each other. She'll be able to see my last reported location (as long as there's cell signal). It isn't SPOT or Delorme InReach.

@Not Dave When you go there, assuming you have not been before, You will drive quite a ways, then even further. If water is running in the washes, it is recomended not to cross them. We will be staying there on our way home.

Kevin

Last edited:
@Not Dave When you go there, assuming you have not been before, You will drive quite a ways, then even further. If water is running in the washes, it is recomended not to cross them. We will be staying there on our way home.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin. Just looked at the forecast and now it shows a 30% chance of AM showers (in Nageezi, NM). I'll be there in the afternoon/evening so hopefully there won't be any.

Turns out I'm not going on this trip after all. Family emergency, I'll be flying to CA tomorrow instead of driving to NM & AZ. Maybe next year. Hope you all have a great time and the weather is perfect.

Back
Top Bottom