Cell Phone Booster

Becuase I lived on the road fulltime, and work a full-time remote job, internet was very important to me.

We have a grandfathered Verizon Unlimited account, and a mifi.

I also own both the 4G-X and 4G-M WeBoost (formerly Wilson electronics) boosters. We use the 4G-M inside our Power Wagon and the 4G-X inside our Airstream.

Both work exceptionally well. That being said, I replaced the antennas on both setups. On the truck I have a 10-inch Surecall magnetic.

And on the Airstream, I have a 9-inch omni surecall antenna. This works about 90% of the time just fine. When I really need to tune things, I switch to my WeBoost directional antenna.

We used to have one of the Wilson (now weboost) craddle boosters. While they work, I wouldn't advise using them if you need to run them all the time. Ours burned up do to heat, and ruined a battery and mifi in the process.

13483313_1571217256507969_8245501955133185408_o.jpg

If you are wondering what the second omni is, that one is for wifi.

Becuase I lived on the road fulltime, and work a full-time remote job, internet was very important to me.

We have a grandfathered Verizon Unlimited account, and a mifi.

I also own both the 4G-X and 4G-M WeBoost (formerly Wilson electronics) boosters. We use the 4G-M inside our Power Wagon and the 4G-X inside our Airstream.

Both work exceptionally well. That being said, I replaced the antennas on both setups. On the truck I have a 10-inch Surecall magnetic.

And on the Airstream, I have a 9-inch omni surecall antenna. This works about 90% of the time just fine. When I really need to tune things, I switch to my WeBoost directional antenna.

We used to have one of the Wilson (now weboost) craddle boosters. While they work, I wouldn't advise using them if you need to run them all the time. Ours burned up do to heat, and ruined a battery and mifi in the process.

13483313_1571217256507969_8245501955133185408_o.jpg

Thanks @BoldAdventure
If you are wondering what the second omni is, that one is for wifi.
What's the difference between the X and the M models and why a different model for truck vs airstream? Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm also wondering, if I have it set up in my camper will it work just as well for my truck since it's a truck camper? Which model of the We 4G would be better for my rig, the X or M? Lastly, where would it work best, in the truck or camper?
IMG_6998.JPG

I just learned today that Verizon will not allow use of a cell phone booster while on a prepaid phone plan, even if it's a Verizon prepaid plan.

I forgot to mention. We've been places where we have 3G on 1X or no service using the booster. And often times LTE when we'd be on 3G. So it seems to be a lifeline to an extent. But it can only extend/boost so far. But it does make a noticeable improvement.

What's the difference between the X and the M models and why a different model for truck vs airstream? Thanks.

They're mostly the same in these regards to boosting 3G & 4G LTE Data, both are for up to 4 devices and both work on all US & Canadian carriers (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Rogers, Bell, Telus, etc.). And both upto +50 dB gain .

The Drive 4G-X has maximum uplink power legally allowed by the FCC. Also, the price is different between the two.

weBoost Drive 4G-M (470108) Upload & Download Specs:
drive4gm-maxpower.png

weBoost Drive 4G-X (470510) Upload & Download Specs:
drive4gx-maxpower.png

We had an original Wilison cradle, and then bought the Drive 4G-M for our truck. I noticed the truck booster performed better, and when the cradle burned up and killed our first mifi, I ended up buying the Drive 4G-X just for the extra power.

I'm also wondering, if I have it set up in my camper will it work just as well for my truck since it's a truck camper? Which model of the We 4G would be better for my rig, the X or M? Lastly, where would it work best, in the truck or camper?
View attachment 29755

That would depend where you keep your mifi or phone. The problem I would see is that the booster uses a flat bar antenna for inside the vehicle or popup. And your device needs to be about 2 feet from it. And it needs some separation from the external antenna.

I have mounts for both my phone, and the wifes and always stick the mifi on the dash if we're working while driving from the road. So mine is on the dash.
inside-antenna.jpg

koomus-setup-02.jpg

But being in a truck camper, I guess it would just depend how well the signal could get from your truck to camper. I would probably stick an antenna on the camper though. Higher up.

The one that comes standard is just a small 3-inch magnetic one. That's why I usually replace with external one with something better.

As far as registering or notifying your carrier. I've never done it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And I've been running around for two years with these things powered on.

I will say this though, I turn them off when in urban environments.

@BoldAdventure , thank you so very much for that information! I'm wondering how it would work with a prepaid cell plan on an iPhone 6? Especially if you've never registered it with a carrier. What would happen if you were in urban environments with it on?

@BoldAdventure , thank you so very much for that information! I'm wondering how it would work with a prepaid cell plan on an iPhone 6? Especially if you've never registered it with a carrier. What would happen if you were in urban environments with it on?
The Wilson (WeBoost) system is carrier independent, in that it simply operates in certain frequency ranges for input and amplified (gain) output, the network identifiers for your carrier are still being transmitted by your phone. What happens is that carriers expect a certain signal strength on certain towers and can/will flag certain wireless device identifiers as suspect/unapproved.

I run a previous generation of the same Wilson repeater in the van and swear by it. If I'm stationary and can get a device to sniff out a bar of 1x then I can usually get a few bars of 3G with it. If it'll sniff out a bar of 3G then I can usually get 4 bars of 4G, which is nice when trying to get some work done on the road (or trying to look up answers to the important questions a 7 year old asks while on a road trip).

@WUZombies forgive my ignorance but what does this mean?
"What happens is that carriers expect a certain signal strength on certain towers and can/will flag certain wireless device identifiers as suspect/unapproved.

"Or at least what will happen if they discover an unapproved device? and thanks

@WUZombies forgive my ignorance but what does this mean?
"What happens is that carriers expect a certain signal strength on certain towers and can/will flag certain wireless device identifiers as suspect/unapproved.

"Or at least what will happen if they discover an unapproved device? and thanks
Your cellphone has a unique numerical ID that the network recognizes, if that ID is flagged by the carrier for some reason it may not allow access to the network. So if they flag you for operating outside of the conditions of the user agreement you could lose your service.

Meh... probably nothing Dan.

But rest assured there is a Verizon Service Team always available to take care of any unauthorized use issues. :D

377640_4179786385286_1610984994_n.jpg

Let's drag this thread out of mothballs. Looking to add a booster to my setup to better allow for mobile working. I'm not expecting miracles, obviously if there's no signal then there's no signal, but it would be nice to catch some of those calls I'd otherwise miss. In doing research the two big players seem to still be WeBoost and SureCall. WeBoost has the standing of Wilson Electronics behind them and years of antenna design know how. SureCall is a newer company I think, but they seem to pack some great technology into their boosters for a lower price. I know @Twin Magnolias is running a booster, who else has some experience with the new offerings out there?

The biggest issue with the current generation of cell boosters is they are SISO (single-in/single-out). My phone (iPhone 11 Pro) is 4x4 MIMO meaning it has 4-in/4-out. This is how the phone handles high data bandwidth. Basically splits the data stream into four small streams. So on-grid you have a high-speed data connection making working remote off cellular easy. The issue with a cell booster on the fringe of the grid is it may not always help you since it can boost a single signal, but it does nothing to boost the bandwidth of that signal. In certain situations you may find yourself worse-off using a cell booster than you are with a multiple weaker signals. Now, for a phone call, that's kind of a moot point. You don't need multiple signals for a quality phone connection. That is, if you're standing still. Where you'll run into issues with a phone call over a cell booster is when you are moving and you don't get a good "hand off" from one tower to the next. Basically what happens is that single boosted signal is "locked" to a given tower and that booster will do all it can to maintain that signal and when it finally drops to move to a new tower it drops your call.

So... long story short... conventional consumer grade cell phone boosters aren't a great option for someone wanting to reliably work from the road if they need high speed data.

Let's drag this thread out of mothballs. Looking to add a booster to my setup to better allow for mobile working. I'm not expecting miracles, obviously if there's no signal then there's no signal, but it would be nice to catch some of those calls I'd otherwise miss. In doing research the two big players seem to still be WeBoost and SureCall. WeBoost has the standing of Wilson Electronics behind them and years of antenna design know how. SureCall is a newer company I think, but they seem to pack some great technology into their boosters for a lower price. I know @Twin Magnolias is running a booster, who else has some experience with the new offerings out there?

OK I ahve posted this before but here goes again. (And I will go further)

As long as you realize its a BOOSTER your fine. It will help with marginal signals. More or less the bigger the antenna the better you can pick up smaller signals.

Now here is where I will go further. Can you use voip? If so Mofi makes cell routers. A good antenna and a cell router is WAY better than a WeBoost. Again bigger antenna.

I just a tall antenna, but many people use the "shark fin" style as well (I can find the part number if you need) I didn't care for GPS etc so mine is cell only.

4g router (5g is available now I believe)
51203099844_7f4a6845d5_b.jpg

Overcomplicated antenna, but I wanted to avoid manually putting it up each time so its on a pneumatic ram. It works pretty well in the down position also. Antenna is a dual cell only, about 3" around and 30" tall. Made to clamp to a pole, but I make this mount.
51004545370_c9a4ddc196_b.jpg

51004545265_9aafea3fdc_b.jpg

Cell phone.
51080083967_d3f5054e14_b.jpg

On the wifi
51080083972_f0dbf5c55d_b.jpg

If I park in a spot that I didn't previously get signal on my phone unless I walked a few hundred feet etc this thing picks it up very well.

I'm not hip enough to have a job that will let me #vanlife it where I can work from ultra cool remote locations. As such, I don't need the internet capabilities of my cell phone when I'm out camping or playing in the woods. We bought the WeBoost 4G-OTR as another form of communications when we go to Wyoming next month.

I've only used my cell booster in two capacities:
1) My daily commute is through the foothills of Northeast Georgia, and I lose decent coverage along several parts of that drive. If I NEED to call the Mrs. I can flip on the booster and have enough bars to make a call. You have to have some signal and it only gives me maybe another bar or two of signal. I also have to have the interior antenna relatively close to the cell phone.

2) My son's Hapkido dojang is in a hole that has next to no signal. While I'm sitting in the parking lot waiting on him, I can flip on the booster and get enough of a boost to stream music, or mindlessly scroll on the InstaFaceSpace. However, I prefer to sit on the tailgate and read a book.

Our home sits in one of those cell phone holes. My wife just ordered a booster for the house so we can see if we can do away with the landline. We'll see. It would allow us to do away with yet one more monthly bill... a key for our lifestyle.

Our home sits in one of those cell phone holes. My wife just ordered a booster for the house so we can see if we can do away with the landline. We'll see. It would allow us to do away with yet one more monthly bill... a key for our lifestyle.

Which one did you get? We have a WeBoost at the BROG shop. Works well for calls. Doesn't help much with data bandwidth though.

Which one did you get? We have a WeBoost at the BROG shop. Works well for calls. Doesn't help much with data bandwidth though.
We got the HiBoost Mini. Ann says she has it figured out, so I expect we'll get it mounted and tested in the coming week. This is primarily for phones for us, so if we can get good enough reception from it to do away with landline that will work out in our favor. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom