CALIFORNIA

Dispersed camping closures in Sequoia National Forest...

https://kernvalleysun.com/dispersed-camping-limited/

Pack it in, pack it out people or we are going to lose even more.
Shameful... and it's not isolated here either. It seems to me that littering has increased overall as I've observed in my advanced age and it seems to be seeing a significant increase over the last several years. I don't get what is wrong with people...

But one thing that I do recall is a significant media effort to decrease littering, which I think had positive results, but seems to be ignored now. Who, at least the older among us, can forget this poignant ad campaign below...

CodyLitterAd.jpg

^^^^"Iron Eyes Cody", remember the commercials well. He was actually an Italian-American...from the useless trivia file in my melon.

Pack it in, pack it out people or we are going to lose even more.

Yes, please. This also includes finding a 21st century way to deal with your literal crap.

This is what one of the Yellow Post sites up on Thomas Mountain looked like the last time I was up there:
eCqAXuMcJjqEFLeb2ueVJD26TNl1lpLGW6vGwbLMWBGktUSJ-r6pOjGA9p2XXTsA8Z4wDRmJwxv5trTv6byH6Z20p-oso1Ms6xHS8KDZDGDhC8jfjBOp5YWpgb1l0_KOaSz8w6Ao0Y_0Ag3mjv8SwrEg6f7_MmbqZQQHGAYXEzX40hXg4c0GYUKq-Vq-SfaqOFADil9DaWqPw3uG0AvEu_W3do1a_vEHXEEmHPXiZ8jxZHiDllXmH5NiSgVF6-eqa3tTZRpLRatyh-IZcQAGm2rgbj8lRgtl-dFFsmCnB5ym-gs4sDC6Ikq-XVEm9Ge6k3FsiwicvtudOKKLVgb79WCY9okmWNbIXKEqF3oDEQsd6YG73TEpmoigJApe1YCjsFr2Y96QPBdYSZgc23_gFNJ_kGqoWGLTsYk3YzXtsf-j0sGaGie-tsnVyKts7nicF4Sz2nqM5-Fh6c_WE-gEFX831aUP0KjrKaTeBdnuV1y9wbsDMBLN8e5PrHU3hCW5M0Jud-Tf7RSfbxDBuM0Cio9fhoIwa_Ar7AeHiEjKyPsmt2qLvHic3CRM4w0_kgpAfQNHhucyEnu7n0KxuIVv4MMhr2icxaJJvzXH7xd5xc2t2vqOi5QhHkvhCd1auWXDxxX0Gd3gX-9vKm_jcV0abHAB00P-5G5dEA=w500
0t_5QwEZdaF6Wo-Wxp9nS96X5fZYEyFbBusgUBa3Ej9RvISBIPY3QgMvCVuYfq9gwTAaSjuDZDcQy8Wbz8VbFuP_YMLRTB9v92ATBPhbnYipH3RAO5WPhBt-v7c1qcmfOcoYwaQ4ZnItxJsPOvolHMKhuu7txiJMa2qOXMSvkD-FK6zS4eOU-kulTIeI6g-dtpcOxHQdymHHf2PZ2_RwmimqM5D1RB-ZRw06U33Ud0hpJDeeTMF6IHiPfXo1bd2p8LSBF7CVvN1Iq1xkTX7PHJPT39gimPu_ONrCVGeN2YDgGFY6ONWcJapE8Ebq6ZP0wo5AvWZwZ0uHHNqnj6F1DfUZJhQQsJBJf62YfTBWJos_yIHDl8gFFDKVmpMtvbXNOxizxo02x77OR-caBHIiAOEAX_phY58W-8eDl9c0Lh8pGJPPQ538N-DRk1AMQkOy4gTMkmn4PqmihGdpm51-QvkfQ5W8hKUb06Vq7yF_sHnVZmnsIYeYPZ3KJZ6eoQj-UG5yiVqVH3-BRkMsY3kr26aOmTG-8TD4-njpM705OX87RMk05upuTbRucHtglegLG0uHNfCk8Eu7NxixaT3sVkesYrv_r21Ef4G-mtukRVgYmI2WSE6MOWQxW_CGEu_YwMTB4VWMBZeQZB2FcLVF7wqmHnkeQvg5Ug=w500

Literally every tree or rock that was "out of view" of the camping area within about a 200' radius had piles of human waste and TP behind them. In many of the places it was clear that it had been (halfheartedly) buried and dug up by animals. I know a lot of us are old enough that we grew up camping at a time when one could dig a cat hole and call it good, but the fact is that many of the best areas are visited so frequently now that this just isn't practical anymore.

We have a porta-potti in our van, and if we didn't, it would at least be WAG bags and a privy tent. And if I couldn't make that work, then it'd be a "groover" and a trashbag full of kitty litter. Please, for the benefit of all of us, encourage everyone you know who spends time outdoors to pack it all out. One way or the other.

@Herbie you nailed it. This is a BIG problem. Trash is one thing (and bad enough) but people seem to feel less guilt about TP etc. These same people that probably pick up dog poop seem unable to do the same for themselves.

One thing I really LOVE about this community is the self sufficiency aspect. Our folks just don’t leave trash or poo on the trail.

Looking for a camping area near Mojave

I will be exploring the Owens Valley in September, starting in the city of Mojave and traveling north.

As I have not lived in SoCal for 20 years, I am asking for suggestions of an area to camp near Mojave. There will just be a few of us, and it only for 1 night.

I don't remember where I used to camp, and I am sure the area has changed since I was last there.

Thank you.

Red Rock Canyon is convenient and cheap. It's right off the 14 between Mojave and Ridgecrest.
Interesting cliff formations that look especially nice at night with a fire going.

Nearby is the Burro Schmidt tunnel and Bickel Camp. Both of these are well worth the trip IMO.

Red Rock Canyon is convenient and cheap. It's right off the 14 between Mojave and Ridgecrest.
Interesting cliff formations that look especially nice at night with a fire going.

Nearby is the Burro Schmidt tunnel and Bickel Camp. Both of these are well worth the trip IMO.

Great!

I will add Bickel Camp to my list of places to see.

Who wants to share a place or area in the SoCal Desert? Please not the usual suspects. Mojave Road etc.

Well, "Anza Borrego Desert State Park" sounds like a flippant answer - a lot of people have been there, but the reality is that it's the largest state park in California and you probably haven't seen it "all". I've been visiting the park since I was about six years old and I'm still able to find a new experience at least once a year. (Plus revisiting old favorites now that I have a kid.)

Snow is coming to the western Sierras! We'll be out in the Ponderosa area outside of Porterville this weekend to enjoy it!

Anyone want to share your favorite late-fall SoCal destinations? We may be able to have the whole family take Thanksgiving week (or a significant part of it) for a trip, and thinking it might be nice to use that time to get farther from home than Anza Borrego.

Other desert destinations seem right, based on anticipated temperatures (no heater in our rig, yet, so sub-freezing nights can be loooong), but I may be able to talk the ladies into something adventurous!

Anyone want to share your favorite late-fall SoCal destinations? We may be able to have the whole family take Thanksgiving week (or a significant part of it) for a trip, and thinking it might be nice to use that time to get farther from home than Anza Borrego.

Other desert destinations seem right, based on anticipated temperatures (no heater in our rig, yet, so sub-freezing nights can be loooong), but I may be able to talk the ladies into something adventurous!

The last 3 Thanksgiving weekends we have camped in Alabama Hills, then done a day trip up to the Hot Springs near Mammoth or explored some of the many dirt roads in the area. All 3 years there has already been a fair amount of snow in Mammoth, but the weather in the valleys has still been pretty mild.

Last edited:
Did you know there is a campground open all winter in the Grant Grove area of Kings Canyon National Park?

Azalea Campground has 20 sites that are first-come-first-served!

For those planning to camp there, please be prepared with the recreation.gov Scan and Pay app, this will be needed for payment. Cell service is very limited, recommend downloading the app at home before driving up.

Instructions for payment will be posted on the Azalea Campground bulletin board, don't worry about cell signal, the app works fine offline.

Having trouble with the app? Don't worry, stop by the Big Stump Entrance Station for assistance with payment.

Did you know there is a campground open all winter in the Grant Grove area of Kings Canyon National Park?

Azalea Campground has 20 sites that are first-come-first-served!

For those planning to camp there, please be prepared with the recreation.gov Scan and Pay app, this will be needed for payment. Cell service is very limited, recommend downloading the app at home before driving up.

Instructions for payment will be posted on the Azalea Campground bulletin board, don't worry about cell signal, the app works fine offline.

Having trouble with the app? Don't worry, stop by the Big Stump Entrance Station for assistance with payment.
I have tent camped here with snow on the ground. Very cold dawn at that elevation but beautiful in winter. The best deal is to grab a hot breakfast at the restaurant by the visitors center. Not roughing it but definitely good hospitality.

Pro tip for Veterans - you can get the Military Lifetime Pass for National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands but… if you are a Veteran with any rating of service connected disability you get a free Lifetime Access Pass. Same benefits as the Military Lifetime Pass but also a 50% discount on most campgrounds. So $14 a night at Azalea is a steal.

Back
Top Bottom