California Camping

Dan, just throwing it out there.....

Don't know what your timeline is, but I have a Yosemite reservation July 30 - August 2 with room for 2 more people and 1 more vehicle. It's in a "campground" lol, but Yosemite is worth dealing with that. I will be hiking half dome and out and about for the most part, but you are welcome to share the site. PM me if you want the info.

That's a cool offer right there. It definitely is worth camping in Yosemite if you can. While you are shoulder to shoulder with the masses, having a base in the park makes seeing the various sights much easier. Touring the valley on bicycle or foot is cool, since it is mostly flat.

If I am there during that time of year, I'm totally game for it. It is a wonderful invitation. My parents who are house sitting for me for two months will prolly want me back by the end of June. If finances allow for it and if I can stay out longer. I would really enjoy being able to camp there. Thank You cali_camper! That is a very kind gesture and excellent offer. I will do my best to try and make it happen. Dan

do you have any specific areas you want to try and hit, maybe we can recommend some neary by places that will not need reservations

do you have any specific areas you want to try and hit, maybe we can recommend some neary by places that will not need reservations

Yes, where do you want to go?

I seldom have a fixed schedule so don't make reservations, but I always find something no problem. Start looking well before 4PM and you should be fine. The coast is an exception, but you said the east side of the state? Lassen NF, around Lake Tahoe, Stanislaus NF, Death Valley, Sierras/Inyos are all awesome.

National parks have the sights but suck for camping. State parks are better than national parks. County parks are the best, seriously - run by locals and less greedy than the big parks. Lots of dispersed camping in CA, but less BLM land than neighboring states.

Check out http://freecampsites.net/ and http://www.campsitephotos.com/ too. I’ve found lots of good spots through those sites, or on my way to one I found there.

I know I don't post here often, but I have no idea what PRK is!

OK no wonder I didn't get it, thanks for the info. CA is a beautiful place and politics notwithstanding, lots of us live here and love it. If you're looking for places to camp, narrow it down a little and I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions from the group. Have an awesome trip.

Last weekend I did an overnight in the Mojave National Preserve. There were a few open spots in the Hole in the Wall campground, The state campground at Mitchell caverns is closed indefinitely and the Mid Hills campground was about 1/4 full. Mid Hills is mostly used for Mojave Road basecamps but it is the only one that has any trees at all. (Unfortunately a lot of those trees burned over in 2005 and will be a very long time coming back.) There is some very good hiking. I don't believe they take reservations. But there are lots of informal camp sites in many locations where camping is allowed. There is no entry fee. Since it is a National Preserve and not a National Park, they don't get nearly as analretentive about campsites.

http://www.nps.gov/moja/index.htm

Last weekend I did an overnight in the Mojave National Preserve. There were a few open spots in the Hole in the Wall campground, The state campground at Mitchell caverns is closed indefinitely and the Mid Hills campground was about 1/4 full. Mid Hills is mostly used for Mojave Road basecamps but it is the only one that has any trees at all. (Unfortunately a lot of those trees burned over in 2005 and will be a very long time coming back.) There is some very good hiking. I don't believe they take reservations. But there are lots of informal camp sites in many locations where camping is allowed. There is no entry fee. Since it is a National Preserve and not a National Park, they don't get nearly as analretentive about campsites.

http://www.nps.gov/moja/index.htm
Thanks for that!

Back
Top Bottom