Buying a Topper/Shell/Cap Question

4x4x4doors

Adventurist
Whatever you call it (I've found they have several different names which makes searches more fun!)
What has been your experience on negotiations?
Private party selling one used? - Definitely negotiable
Dealer selling one used? - Maybe negotiable
Dealer selling a new one already in his inventory? - Possibly negotiable? Looking for input.
Dealer selling a new one to be made? - Seems to be negotiable for options to be included but the basic price seems pretty fixed.

Does that agree with your experience?
I'm looking now at a new one that the dealer identifies as a "factory second". Dealer has been somewhat difficult to pin down on exactly what that means. It seems as though that means it was built at the factory but for some reason (logistics, not quality) is unsold and available to sell. Should I expect to negotiate on price since options -other than bolt ons seem to be past available?

Sounds about right to me. I will say that, other than simple things like Yakima/Thule tracks or LED interior lights, you should get what you want from the start. I really, really wish I'd gotten sliding windoors but ARE wants like $400 each for them now; I also wish I'd gotten the drop down front window to make cleaning easier.

That pretty much lines up with my experience.

Fiberglass shell? Get the interior carpet liner. I didn't. I was thinking the interior will be easier to clean with a hose. While that may be true the interior is unfinished fiberglass with every brush against the interior is a chance to get fiberglass fibers on ya.

Last edited:
Factory seconds are the factory rejects. There's some minor fault in manufacturing and rather than discard the product they're sold at a reduced rate. e.g. This model is suppose to come with tinted glass but regular glass was used. If you are buying a factory second ask what made it fail the quality control inspection and if it still gets a full warranty.

You just bought a new truck, that I assume you plan to keep for many, many years. Why not splurge and get the shell you really want, not settle for what you can find. Sure, it will be a little more costly, but in the long run I'm sure you will enjoy it more.

I really didn't like the first shell I had on my Tacoma, and really, really like the replacement I have now. It was costly to buy and sell the first shell, and buy the second one. But every time I am in it, I am reminded how good of a decision it was.

Frenchie has a similar one (actually, mine is similar to his!) and he likes his as well.

So, not what you asked, but there is my answer. ;)

Less than 4 weeks until our trip - you'd better hurry up!

Ive bought several shells from dealers, they seem to remove most or all from trucks they get in to sell. Ive found some pretty nice shells for very good prices. I just got on the phone and called all the new and used dealers within sane driving distance, had my measurements ready, and started calling. I guess today you could email.

One I found for a 79 Toyota was steel and had sides that opened. Very handy. It never occured to look for one like that, but it was one of the better shells I had for travel and camping, and having a dog.

Back
Top Bottom