Bucket List Trips

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
My list of trips I want to take is too long, and I’m sure that I’m overlooking some opportunities due to my limited knowledge of North America. There’s just so much to see and do here. So that got me wondering what everyone else had on their bucket list for trips?

So, what’s in your top ten bucket list for trips in North America and why?

No doubt someone here has been to them and can chime in with a few tips or even some epic stories.

:coffee

Had a backpacking route mapped through Yosemite that got cancelled due to my father’s health (ended up passing during that time). Never made it back out. There are many places I want to go, but this is probably the bucket one. Would probably expand it now with a bit of vehicular wandering too.

The TAT on a motorcycle. 6000 miles on mostly dirt.

https://www.transamtrail.com/

trans-am_map3.gif

Quite a few BDRs I'd like to do to, but the TAT is the bucket list trip.

L'anse aux Meadows in Newfoundland. The actual, proven site where the vikings landed in North America.

Plus, the ferry trip there would be a hoot.

And, if I saw the northern lights while I was there, that would be perfect!

We did the ALCAN back in 1960 in a 1956 Chevy wagon, returning to Scott AFB from then Ladd AFB, now Ft Wainright near Fairbanks, Alaska. Man, I wish I could remember more from that trip... :tango

I’ve been looking at doing some human powered trips this summer. Topping the list is one of the least visited of our National Parks, Isle Royale. Only accessible by boat or seaplane, we’re planning 4 nights backpacking here in July.

FDBFCB87-5C6D-4488-9B2A-D6359C6B0822.png

Looks like a good plan for an adventure!

Don't forget to increase Nori's life insurance policy. :D

We did the ALCAN back in 1960 in a 1956 Chevy wagon, returning to Scott AFB from then Ladd AFB, now Ft Wainright near Fairbanks, Alaska. Man, I wish I could remember more from that trip... :tango

1960 was a little early for "memory problems", wasn't it? I thought it was 66-68 where the phrase "If you can remember the sixties, you didn't really experience them!" started to come into force?

I have heard that the Al-Can is now completely paved. Supposedly, the Dalton Highway in AK and the Dempster Highway in the Northwest Territories are still wild gravel roads like the Al-Can used to be.

I've heard the same thing. It's still on my list, I figure I can find plenty of trouble to get out of once I get to Alaska.

from the tip of Alaska to the tip of Chili. On road, Off road doesn't really matter. Just being able to do a trip like that would be amazing. The logistics though..........oy. The TAT trail looks pretty cool though. Just checked out the website.

I have heard that the Al-Can is now completely paved. Supposedly, the Dalton Highway in AK and the Dempster Highway in the Northwest Territories are still wild gravel roads like the Al-Can used to be.

It's been completely paved for a long a$$ time now. I've driven that old lady round trip 5 times. First time was 1991, from Alaska (Kodiak) down to San Diego in my 1973 Ford F-250 HiBoy. The only exceptions to it being completely paved are the 10-30 mile sections of construction where they route you off the road and onto a kickass dirt 2-track they've created alongside the original road.

But...it's still an epic adventure, and one I'm so lucky to have been able to enjoy so many times.

Back
Top Bottom