Bucket List Trip to Australia

Mojoe Outfitters

Adventurist
I am in the planning stages for a one month trip to Australia in October (Australian Spring). It's been on my bucket list for a long time. In my previous life as a corporate douche bag, I traveled to Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane on business a lot. When I had occasion to spend a weekend there, I would rent a car and travel out into the wild areas. I have to say that less than 30 miles outside these cities, the wilderness is pristine. Not many people know that the population of the entire continent of Australia is about the same as that found in LA and Orange Counties (combined). There are wild beaches and primordial forests everywhere on the east coast of the continent.

So here's the simple game plan: Fly in to Sydney, rent a camper van ("Caravan" in the land of OZ) and spend one month driving up the east coast to Cairns exploring where ever the wind takes me. Best of all, I will be able to spend some quality time with the Australian people who are some of the nicest and most fun people on the planet. This is a huge commitment in both time and money. I am currently looking for an adventurous wing man or wing woman to come along on the adventure of a lifetime. Know anybody?

Also, if anyone has friends or relatives who live along this route who might be willing to take in a crazy American for dinner and a shower please let me know!

Cam

#jealous

Good on you Cam. This sounds like a great trip. I know @Jonathan Hanson knows a few people there, and as mentioned above Luke at Drifta is a GREAT guy to know. I'd shoot him an email introduction, I bet they would appreciate the utility of the MOJO down under!

Can't wait to hear the trip report!

Me and my wife did the same style of trip in New Zealand about four years ago, and it was absolutely the best money I've spent. If I could swing the cost I would join you in a heartbeat. (full disclosure: there's no way I would be able to go back to Australia and leave my wife behind :rollingpin)

x2 on the :rollingpin but this thread did make me look up ticket prices to Sydney... one nice benefit to being near O'Hare is tickets are cheaper than I thought it would be.

:stir

x2 on the :rollingpin but this thread did make me look up ticket prices to Sydney... one nice benefit to being near O'Hare is tickets are cheaper than I thought it would be.

:stir

I plan to purchase "Premium Economy" tickets on Qantas. I'm a big guy and I am at the age where I can choose not to be a sardine! PE round trip tickets from LAX are about $3000. The one way rental of a Toyota HiAce Hightop campervan (sleeps 4) from Sydney to Cairns (one way) for one month is about $2,225 with full insurance.

Total cost per day for flights and van rental for one month: $81.45 (If I go alone). Food, pubs, gas and showers extra!

Cam

Very inexpensive!

I just booked a fully kitted 79 series in Namibia for a self drive safari for 3X that. It does include 5 nights in lodges/hotel and all camping/park fees.

Me and my wife did the same style of trip in New Zealand about four years ago, and it was absolutely the best money I've spent. If I could swing the cost I would join you in a heartbeat. (full disclosure: there's no way I would be able to go back to Australia and leave my wife behind :rollingpin)

Well swing it and bring her!

Cam

If you haven't already, go to the RV Geeks website. They did a very similar trip and did a series of videos about the camper rental process and the trip itself.

Good on ya mate! A few years ago my wife and I did something very similar. We managed to get a month and a half off. Flew into Sydney and spent a few days. Flew to Adelaide. Rented a camper van and drove up the Stewart hwy to Darwin. Took the Gahn back down. One of the best trips we ever had. This year, at the same time you are going we are planning on heading back and doing the west coast and the Gibb. You are going to have an awesome time.

I plan to purchase "Premium Economy" tickets on Qantas. I'm a big guy and I am at the age where I can choose not to be a sardine! PE round trip tickets from LAX are about $3000. The one way rental of a Toyota HiAce Hightop campervan (sleeps 4) from Sydney to Cairns (one way) for one month is about $2,225 with full insurance.

Total cost per day for flights and van rental for one month: $81.45 (If I go alone). Food, pubs, gas and showers extra!

Cam
Nice! Go ahead and stop calling it “gas” though unless the van is propane.

I enjoyed my short time there. Some of the best seafood I ever had was in Gladstone (or maybe it was Rockhampton. The beer was good too).

That's a real bargain on the camper van! I think you're smart to concentrate on one side of the country rather than trying to take it all in. The Red Center is worth a trip on its own . . . next time.

Nice! Go ahead and stop calling it “gas” though unless the van is propane.

I enjoyed my short time there. Some of the best seafood I ever had was in Gladstone (or maybe it was Rockhampton. The beer was good too).
Gladstone = seafood; Rockhampton = steak. Cheers... :D

We are Australian and have lived a few places between Sydney and Cairns. Email us usa@hardkorrlighting.com and we can see if we can help you out.
The main thing to consider with a trip up the Eastern side of Australia is if your prefer beaches or mountains? The most popular route is along the A1 but there are inland highways that will give you a completely different view of Australia. If you go closer to the coast there's more towns and not as remote. If you are getting a 4wd Fraser island is a must stop. But you could easily do a week there. Another great island that is Bribie island. It's connected by bridge so much easier to get there.
Just send us an email and we can talk more :)

We are Australian and have lived a few places between Sydney and Cairns. Email us usa@hardkorrlighting.com and we can see if we can help you out.
The main thing to consider with a trip up the Eastern side of Australia is if your prefer beaches or mountains? The most popular route is along the A1 but there are inland highways that will give you a completely different view of Australia. If you go closer to the coast there's more towns and not as remote. If you are getting a 4wd Fraser island is a must stop. But you could easily do a week there. Another great island that is Bribie island. It's connected by bridge so much easier to get there.
Just send us an email and we can talk more :)

That’s awesome!

I’m planning a family trip as well. I’ll be in touch amigo!

Back
Top Bottom