Bubba rope and soft shackles

I plan on using mine today to pull some trees when I take care of a bunch of leaning pines on the property.........

There are still a few instances where steel screw pin bow shackles reign supreme - rough sharp edges and recovery points that aren’t radiused for synthetic use. Or where the rigging will drag the ground.

But 90% of the time the soft shackle is my go to. Light, fast, and so easy to use.

Just keep that knot on top! ;)

933466DC-2557-43DE-8191-B09B70CCEC44.jpeg

There are still a few instances where steel screw pin bow shackles reign supreme - rough sharp edges and recovery points that aren’t radiused for synthetic use. Or where the rigging will drag the ground.

But 90% of the time the soft shackle is my go to. Light, fast, and so easy to use.

Just keep that knot on top! ;)

View attachment 51131
Yeah that's one thing I learned at your class at DRV, knot up. Having never used soft shackles before, I glad I attended your class.

since we can't go out at least we can exchange ideas here.
I have questions about soft rigging, soft shackles in particular.

I recently used bubba rope and soft shackles for the first time. rigged like this. You can see the knot was up on the loadside of rigging.:
up load.jpg

Since starting to use soft rigging I have polished several of my old rigging to make it safer for the soft stuff. I used some old paint I had around to identify which ones were done. That pin is wired because I never take it off, it is loose.

shackle.jpg

Would it make any difference if it was rigged with the shackle knot at the other end (anchor)?

View attachment 51176

Some nerd may disagree, but either way is good so long as the knot is on top. The whole point here of having the knot on top is to ensure that you have the soft shackle fully and firmly closed.

And you can visualize it - look at your layout as you are winching and you should see knots on top.

:)

Those specific ones are from safe-Extract. They are the long ones and have a tag with the minimum breaking strength and show how to connect them except the picture is actually upside down from the recommended rigging.

20200407_061233[1].jpg

I know that but to some one that has not been taught the correct way to use it by looking at the picture when reading the specs. they would assume that is the way attach it.
I'm making these posts to educate......

Back
Top Bottom