Brown Mountain OHV trails NC

lclippard

Adventurist
3D2C5AF1-75EE-4AE9-90F2-3346EEBC7EF6.jpeg
What do you do when you have just finished a grueling weekend competing in August heat and humidity, then a full work week, and the wife says she needs some dirt time? You stay outside repairing your Jeep Friday night till 2am, so you can go on a day trip on Saturday. That’s what.

36hrsofuwharrie took its pound of flesh in the form of broken rear shock mounts on my XJ. So I had to repair those so the Jeep wouldn’t bounce me to death driving.

Saturday rolls around, Jeep repaired, gear cleaned and organized, cooler packed, wife dressed and ready, dogs dying for a ride. Taking both XJs so we can pick up a buddy on the way.

In route to Cody’s house, a front brake caliper decides to remain in the “no go” position and starts smoking like a signal to neighboring tribes. So, one HiLift, some tools and a wife willing to drive to the parts store, and I repaired the failure and continued on.

Brown Mountain OHV system offers primarily dirt bike and 4wheeler trails, but offers about 5 miles of trail to 4x4 vehicles. This is the first time I’ve been this year and the trail seemed a lot tougher than this time last year. We wheeled a good portion of the trail and stopped along the creek to let the dogs splash for a few. The one site we stopped at had quite a bit of trash strewn about, so we gathered it up and packed it out. It’s a shame that people can’t just bring it out when they take it in. And please people, don’t build new rings and start fires in random places when there are firepits inside the prepared campsites..

All in all it was a good day trip, breakdowns notwithstanding. The pups definitely needed a nap afterwards.

Stay safe people, See you on the trails!
30148FDB-5ADA-4C7C-BB7A-5F2B30F8BA01.jpeg
BB24E1E0-F0B2-4975-BBA4-9CC280A0E098.jpeg
7E073037-3C96-4818-8AAE-65BA45FA3468.jpeg
2C78DE40-28F3-429F-AFAE-4E9AEDF5ABF2.jpeg
0B2924AB-5173-4447-8883-B48856644CEB.jpeg
D90876E4-F755-4997-89A5-212CC14CDD87.jpeg
BA2F5135-8B10-411C-86CA-ACB44A1928DD.jpeg

Cool. I enjoy Brown Mountain, it’s a beautiful area that I wish had more miles of trails. The difficulty changes pretty heavily from year to year it seems. If it’s starting to become a little more on the fun/challenging side, they’ll come through and fix that with a bulldozer soon enough.

Brown Mountain is on my list to visit this fall. Looks like a good place and there are some other camping areas around there I need to check out.
Thanks for the report!

-Andy

Cool. I enjoy Brown Mountain, it’s a beautiful area that I wish had more miles of trails. The difficulty changes pretty heavily from year to year it seems. If it’s starting to become a little more on the fun/challenging side, they’ll come through and fix that with a bulldozer soon enough.

Yes, this is unfortunately true. It was a good bit rougher with more rock showing through the surface. Also, the mud puddle up on the right side of the trail has been filled in already. If they would allow Jeeps on more trails it would increase the traffic through the area for sure.

Brown Mountain is on my list to visit this fall. Looks like a good place and there are some other camping areas around there I need to check out.
Thanks for the report!

-Andy

No problem. We really enjoy it as well. It’s not too technical and provides a couple hours of wheeling, with other family friendly activities nearby. Wilson creek is a great place to be.

Back
Top Bottom