Greg

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Portals :)

200 mile range :(
  • 120 kWh Battery Pack
  • 200 Mile EPA Range (est)
  • 70.2 MPGe (est)
  • Level 1 and 2 Charging: J1772 Port (110v & 220v)
  • Level 3 Charging: CCS Port (DC Fast)
  • Regenerative Braking
  • 10 hour Level 2 (220v) Charging Time
  • 75 minute Level 3 (DC Fast) Charging Time

img.png

Every bit of this would be covered in solar panels.
img (1).png

https://www.bollingermotors.com/#specs

Interesting...I'll wait to see the DOT version with air bags, real bumpers and all of the other mandated items.

Interesting...I'll wait to see the DOT version with air bags, real bumpers and all of the other mandated items.

For what constitutes as a front bumper on my Tacoma I think they already have that covered. Their FAQ states they won't have airbags but will use seat belts and exceed federal regulation safety standards. Also noticed something else. Look what's on the front.

I have to admit. Part of me likes it simply because it looks like a Defender.
img.jpg

Maybe useful on a ranch or to run up to the Lowe's but I can't see the utility in vehicles like this, especially for those who like to travel. Run at highway speeds or off-road and you'll further decrease your range then you get to sit for hours while it recharges? No thanks. As much as I like utilitarian vehicles including old Series Rovers and I freely admit to being somewhat of a Luddite, that thing is ugly.

...but the next time I have the need to transport 16' 2x4's I'll know which vehicle will be needed for the job!

I found it amusing that the ability to transport 16' of lumber is their "highlight".:cool:

Maybe I am the odd one out. I like it. The B2 (non pickup) anyway. Yes not "overland" range friendly, but for an around the town work truck, short trips play truck? Hell yes. Flat body panels designed to be easily replaced? Yes. L3 charger at 75 mins is not terrible. Get lunch?

Either way, I am sure it will be $$$$$$ but I think its cool either way. I would DD it :D

Interesting timing on this, and a potential answer on limited range.

Over on one of the teardrop building forums, a new guy joined who drives an electric RAV4. He has built a utility trailer that has a complete second RAV4 (actually a Tesla) battery pack running on it, which doubles his range. He plans to build a teardrop on top of it.

An off-road EV could utilize an off road trailer packed with a similar battery for extended range.

Interesting timing on this, and a potential answer on limited range.

Over on one of the teardrop building forums, a new guy joined who drives an electric RAV4. He has built a utility trailer that has a complete second RAV4 (actually a Tesla) battery pack running on it, which doubles his range. He plans to build a teardrop on top of it.

An off-road EV could utilize an off road trailer packed with a similar battery for extended range.

That is an interesting idea! Adds a fair bit of weight to be towed though, and a rather large amperage connection!

Eventually the technology will get to the point that something like this is practical.

I don't think they are quite there yet, but I like that people are starting to get serious about concepts and R&D.

I read an article years ago about someone who home-built one on a Land Rover Series SWB. He filled that back with batteries and put a huge honking electric motor in place of the gas one he took out. Original manual transmission, gears, etc... Range and speed were very limited, but the offroad driving experience sounded great. The electric motors make all of the torque available at 0 RPM, and cannot stall like a gas motor. Think about the precision you would get. A manual transmission with more control than an automatic (no torque converter to make it mushy). And as much as I like the rumble of a V8, cruising the boondocks with no engine noise would be kinda cool too. And that's just if you do a retrofit to a conventional drive train. Imagine putting the motors on the wheels and being able to control each wheel individually. Not just speed, but true 4-wheel steer. There would be a hell of an unsprung weight issue, but you could drive sideways or spin in a circle.

I like old cars a lot more than new ones, but this stuff has a lot of appeal.

But for longer trips, I would tool around in this thing any day of the week... I like the style of it and the concept of no more gas (he says as gas continues to go up)... Solar panel charging should be fairly easy to pull off I would think, so it was charging anytime there is sun.

Maybe I am the odd one out. I like it. The B2 (non pickup) anyway. Yes not "overland" range friendly, but for an around the town work truck, short trips play truck? Hell yes. Flat body panels designed to be easily replaced? Yes. L3 charger at 75 mins is not terrible. Get lunch?

Either way, I am sure it will be $$$$$$ but I think its cool either way. I would DD it :D
Shut up and take my money... It has EVERYTHING you'd want in a 4WD vehicle. It may not have range - yet, but it's merely time before technology will catch up or for some clever fellow, as cited above, to add a trailer as a "power bowser." As far as the looks... well, let's just say I'm walking with a limp right now.

One thing they've yet to address (after I spent an hour scouring the website and watching all the videos) are power demanding accessories typically put in recreational vehicles, for example, a fridge. Although the manufacturer doesn't believe a roof-top solar panel would provide an adequate, sustainment-level charge, this is a case where the addition of a house battery and solar charging system would be valuable to power accessories and not drain power from the main bank. I also have my concerns about winch power consumption - that can suck a lot of energy depending upon the system.

Maybe useful on a ranch or to run up to the Lowe's but I can't see the utility in vehicles like this, especially for those who like to travel. Run at highway speeds or off-road and you'll further decrease your range then you get to sit for hours while it recharges? No thanks. As much as I like utilitarian vehicles including old Series Rovers and I freely admit to being somewhat of a Luddite, that thing is ugly.

That's why there's a ":(" when I mentioned range. Not for us. Yet.

The DC "fast" charging is 75min but most likely the battery won't be fully discharged so it'll be less time. Something like this for around town deliveries? USPS, UPS, FedEx in urban areas? No engine idling while they're parked at the mailbox or dropping off a package.

One thing they've yet to address (after I spent an hour scouring the website and watching all the videos) are power demanding accessories typically put in recreational vehicles, for example, a fridge. Although the manufacturer doesn't believe a roof-top solar panel would provide an adequate, sustainment-level charge, this is a case where the addition of a house battery and solar charging system would be valuable to power accessories and not drain power from the main bank. I also have my concerns about winch power consumption - that can suck a lot of energy depending upon the system.

If I could I'd afford it I'd order it with no glass on the roof. The will have to offer that option. That interior will melt sitting in the sun. Then I'd just add my own solar as a separate circuit.

Why I think this one is different. The owner of this company basically is making it to work as a farm vehicle. It's going to be far cheaper than any Tesla. Those straight panels and glass are easy to make.

I wonder how the cold affects those batteries? Not something I'd thought of before watching that video.

You'll lose range as battery efficiency decreases. Last I heard Tesla was just going to preheat the batteries.

Why I think this one is different. The owner of this company basically is making it to work as a farm vehicle. It's going to be far cheaper than any Tesla. Those straight panels and glass are easy to make.

But you have to admit those mountain trails and the others they took in the woods (from the videos) were pretty benign. Hell my daughters 2WD RAV4 for could have driven (and did in RMNP to the summit) those FS roads in Colorado. What they need is some serious off road testing, not the slick scenic view music videos they post on the website and YouTube. I do concur this has the potential to be much lower in price than the Tesla, you and I know that, and hopefully the leadership sets a realistic price and warranty program. The sticky part is the amount of hands-on labor for all the CNC work and machining. Will that ultimately be out-sourced to save in labor costs making a more attractive MSRP for sales or will they keep everything in the US, where everything will be infinitely more expensive?

I doubt they're at the point of willing to risk damage to their prototypes. They will need them, along with the slick videos, to get investors. It would be nice to see them out at next year's Expo West. Maybe get some I4WDTA instructors behind the wheel and at least get a feel for it's capabilities. Put the review up on AAV.

Back
Top Bottom