Mixed feelings on Falkens. We used them on the KoH spec cars that Dave Cole had built. There were six cars, 5 of them suffered flats during qualifying, we literally ran out of tires for the cars during the two days of racing they were involved in.

The next year we ran the NORRA race (think Baja 1000, but stages over 4 days). We ran the same KoH spec cars, not 1 flat on any of the cars for the whole race (broke a LOT of other stuff though). In some cases they were the same tire that had been run at KoH.

Mixed feelings on Falkens. We used them on the KoH spec cars that Dave Cole had built. There were six cars, 5 of them suffered flats during qualifying, we literally ran out of tires for the cars during the two days of racing they were involved in.

The next year we ran the NORRA race (think Baja 1000, but stages over 4 days). We ran the same KoH spec cars, not 1 flat on any of the cars for the whole race (broke a LOT of other stuff though). In some cases they were the same tire that had been run at KoH.
These are the new tires. The old ones were not good. They redesigned them and rebuilt them. I couldn't be happier with mine. I know the guys over at Yotamasters run them too and had the exact same opinion you did on the old ones but love the new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20160819_173752-01.jpeg

With the stock control arms and fender flares left turns were almost impossible, luckily it is only a mile from home. It also helps that there was slave labor to remove the flares, even if a mid project nap was needed
20160819_175104-01.jpeg

The flares only solve part of the clearance issues. I can now turn past the fenders, but this puts me even farther unto the control arms. Luckily I was able to pick up a solution from @cjcoffroad
20160819_183844-01.jpeg

I have to say, the build on these control arms is crazy. Certainly an upgrade from stock, with added clearance, and a bit longer to shift the axle forward

Looks good. I had not seen the Falken MT version yet. Are you going back with an aftermarket flare?
[emoji22] means he doesn't read my build thread lol.

Looking good Cris. Those things are interesting looking.

Looks good. I had not seen the Falken MT version yet. Are you going back with an aftermarket flare?
Falken has had the AT for a few years, but the MT is new this year, and has been back ordered most of the time they have been out.

As for the flare, I may go aftermarket at some point but there is no plan to right now. I had been thinking of taking them off for a while just for a cleaner line on the body. The tires sit in the wheel well pretty well so I will see how much debris is thrown at the truck. Might just do some small mudflaps or leave it as is

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Looks good Cris. If I wasn't sitting here waiting on a phone call I'd be there. Sorry.

It is not huge, but it got a wash before MRV
20160825_111058-01.jpeg

and I got the chance to get the new Falken Wildpeak MT in the Dirt

20160825_175432-01.jpeg

20160825_180107-01.jpeg

20160827_095156-01.jpeg

So far I am very happy with the tires, seem to have lots of traction and are nice and quiet on the highway. I did still have a bit of clearance issues though. The fronts clear, but not by much and since I had to go down to @CJCOffroad today anyways I had them trim the pinch weld a touch just to give it a little safety room. As for the rears after talking to CJC, I am just going to let the rear self clearance a little bit (which it has already started)

I also got the chance to talk to Cole and Cody a bit about my future plans for the truck so I can budget and have a goal for the suspension. This is still going to take some time, but this is what it is looking like right now

sPod is most likely the next mod followed closely by a set of Boogie Rated bump stops for the front end.

upload_2016-8-31_19-49-19.png

I don't get into the factory bump stops too often but when I do it feels like it hit a block wall. This should slow that axle down a bit and soften the impact

BR-BSDHD-2T.jpg

The next step will be done as a set to make it easier to install. It will consist of the Dynatrac Ball Joints I had originally planned on getting the Carli Ball joints, but I have been reassured that the Dynatracs are a quality piece, they are rebuildable on the truck and are approx $300 less expensive than the Carli version.
upload_2016-8-31_19-55-18.png

The other part of this phase will be the upgraded steering from Synergy Manufacturing. The early 3rd Gen Dodge came with what is referred to as the "Y" style steering which is known to have some alignment issues and in some cases was covered under a recall. I have the later "Y" style steering so I was not covered under the recall. Most people will upgrade to the "T" style that Dodge started using halfway through 2008. The cost difference between an upgrade kit and a full aftermarket steering setup is not much, but the quality difference is huge. The Synergy system uses a Drag Link made from 1-1/2" solid 1018 bar and a 1-1/2" x .188 wall 4130 Chromoly and Heat Treated Drag link both with double adjuster sleeves so it can be fine tuned with out removing them from the truck.
upload_2016-8-31_20-5-47.png
upload_2016-8-31_20-6-3.png

The "final" step will be a set of King 2.5" pintop shocks. I currently have a set of Thuren Overland shocks, and while they are far better than stock, they still leave a lot of room for improvement.

I am debating a new set of leaf springs but not sure if the improvement is worth the cost. The stock Power Wagon springs are actually regarded as pretty high quality and are far superior to the standard Dodge leafs. A set of Carli springs (made by Deaver) or Atlas springs are both upgrades and would allow the removal of the factory 2" block but I am not yet convinced that the way I use the truck would utilize the performance upgrade.

obviously, this list is going to take me a while to get through and there are things that don't fit the suspension list like the high clearance rear bumper from Mercenary Offroad to match my front bumper, or the Walker Evans Beadlock rims I have been eyeballing, but it is a rough idea of where I am headed.
upload_2016-8-31_20-13-37.png

Last edited:
Love where your plans are going. The dynatracs should be a great choice for ball joints. I will say I am very happy with my carli ball joints.. expensive yes, but worth it. On a side note, please let me know when you buy the beadlocks as I would love to buy your factory rims so I have an 8" wide wheel as opposed to a 7"..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom