Dropped off the truck at CJC Offroad last night for the steering and ball joint install. The steering is a pretty straight forward bolt on, but I did not have time to mess with the ball joints and did not really want to mess with them even if I had the time. Really looking forward to the upgrades.

Sent via carrier pigeon
AS much as I like to wrench on my jeep, sometimes it makes sense to drop it off with the guys who do it for a living. I see your mileage at over 200,000. I see a lot of Dodge's for sale with over 150k and I wonder about picking one up... any idea of expected longevity?

AS much as I like to wrench on my jeep, sometimes it makes sense to drop it off with the guys who do it for a living. I see your mileage at over 200,000. I see a lot of Dodge's for sale with over 150k and I wonder about picking one up... any idea of expected longevity?
You hear lots of complaints about transmission issues. This is my second Dodge, the first was purchased new and sold with 185k miles, this one was purchased with 72k and is now at about 203k. I take it in for regular transmission service and so far both have been solid. The only issues I have had are both with this truck. The TIPM (totally integrated power module) and the fuel pump, but over a combined 300k plus miles I can't complain.

Sent via carrier pigeon

So, there has been a little delay at CJC and a change in ball joints. Instead of the EMF balljoints the truck will be getting a prototype set of ball joints for testing from an undisclosed manufacturer. Should be ready for pick up on Wednesday

Sent via carrier pigeon

Last edited:
So, there has been a little delay at CJC and a change in ball joints. Instead of the EMF balljoinys the truck will be getting a prototype set of ball joints for testing from an undisclosed manufacturer. Should be ready for pick up on Wednesday

Sent via carrier pigeon
Ooohhh ahhh undisclosed?? When are you gping to tell us???

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

As soon as I am released from the NDA
Quit being so mysterious...

latest

I have to say, this steering is huge

5fdf8bd2db3360268997cd2ed6583362.jpg

And it handles way better

6073a1c17df0e52ff67fd693a6d688b5.jpg

As for the balljoints, they look like heavy duty ball joints, you can't really see much assembled. I am to keep them well greased and keep an eye on them, but CJC was impressed with them. They are going to check them periodically and swap them out for the final version when they are ready

Sent via carrier pigeon

Steering geometry looks pretty good to the eyeball. Drag link and track bar appear parallel which should eliminate bump steer. I'd try it without the steering damper just to see how it does. One way or another I think you're going to end up punching a hole in the damper or tearing it off. If the steering geometry works as well as it looks, the damper shouldn't really be needed except for comfort.

Steering geometry looks pretty good to the eyeball. Drag link and track bar appear parallel which should eliminate bump steer. I'd try it without the steering damper just to see how it does. One way or another I think you're going to end up punching a hole in the damper or tearing it off. If the steering geometry works as well as it looks, the damper shouldn't really be needed except for comfort.
The factory skid plate damper is not on the truck in that pic, it protects pretty well. It will go back on, just want to give it some quick spray paint once it stops raining. As for removing the damper, I might give it a try just to see how it feels

Sent via carrier pigeon

I took my truck to the dealer the other day to have them do the airbag recall and the steering recall. They inspected the steering and said it was all good to go. Kinda dissapointed because had they told me it needed repaired I was going to probably go with the synergy....

Hey BlkWagon! It says you live in chino? I think I've seen your rig around there. I live in Chino Hills by the state park
I do live in Chino, and I grew up in Chino Hills. I will have to keep an eye out for you around town

Sent via carrier pigeon

Back
Top Bottom