Black Series Campers??

^^^^Specific concerns about the quality? Made in USA travel trailers designed for the street come with a 1 year warranty, and the best structural warranty I've seen is 3 years.
I've got no vested interest in this company, but a 5 year structural warranty is pretty impressive considering their intended use. I will say that I think the dual shock set up is a bit gimmicky, one quality shock should be adequate for damping.

Truthfully it is the wood framing.

That light wood always gets damp or wet and degrades. When that happens you get de lamination of the outer shell. Suspect but they did not say that it probably has a rubber roof which is where most of the water gets in.

It should last the five years of the warranty but if you buy it with a 15 year payment plan. No way will the trailer last as long as the payments. It really is just a regular RV with a "Look kit" and off road suspension.

All the above is the random opinion of some lunatic on the internet. Feel free to disagree and post up the corrections and counter arguments.

FWIW, there are better quality, KNOWN companies here in the US that make trailers. I’d buy from Turtleback or AT in a New York minute.

Just my .02

Don't forget that company that has been around for 91 years with %70 of their trailers still on the road.

Aluminum inter and exterior walls with aluminum spars. Torsion bar suspension. Got to love Ol' Wally Byam and his Airstream trailers.

It really is just a regular RV with a "Look kit" and off road suspension.

We also gave these a look at Expo West...and your words hit the mark. They just had a cheaper feel and look in all of the fit & finish areas.

Heard a wise man once say...once you start raising the bottom line, you're back at the bottom.

That light wood always gets damp or wet and degrades. When that happens you get de lamination of the outer shell. Suspect but they did not say that it probably has a rubber roof which is where most of the water gets in.

It should last the five years of the warranty but if you buy it with a 15 year payment plan. No way will the trailer last as long as the payments. It really is just a regular RV with a "Look kit" and off road suspension.

All the above is the random opinion of some lunatic on the internet. Feel free to disagree and post up the corrections and counter arguments.

That's a fair assessment IMO. I didn't catch that they were wood framed. I read the "aluminum composite panels" part of the construction and thought they were aluminum framed.

Last edited:

Haha! I really appreciate the last part were you said you are a random opinionated lunatic.

Here comes the corrections you said were welcomed.

First off, I have no idea were the wood comes from?
It is not a Wood construction.
The studs are RHS aluminum frame.
The interior and exterior walls are aluminum composite.
No plywood laminate or wood paneling in the walls.
The roof is fiber glass not rubber.

I am a dealer for the Black Series and have been in the business for over 11 years and I have been more impressed with the build quality than any other trailer I have ever seen.

They are not perfect and they have had some quality control problems but I feel like they have been working very hard to correct them.

I think these trailers actually have a chance to out live the the term of the loan.

Haha! I really appreciate the last part were you said you are a random opinionated lunatic.

I am a dealer for the Black Series and have been in the business for over 11 years and I have been more impressed with the build quality than any other trailer I have ever seen.

They are not perfect and they have had some quality control problems but I feel like they have been working very hard to correct them.

I think these trailers actually have a chance to out live the the term of the loan.

So you’re a dealer for Black Series Campers?

Actually the wood thing came from reading about the trailers. I just went back and either they changed it or I was Wrong as I just read aluminum spars. That is good. Alum. composite panels... Huh? Can you explain that one for me? I'm used to my Airstream where alum is just sheets of alum.

Actually the wood thing came from reading about the trailers. I just went back and either they changed it or I was Wrong as I just read aluminum spars. That is good. Alum. composite panels... Huh? Can you explain that one for me? I'm used to my Airstream where alum is just sheets of alum.

Honestly I'm not a hundred percent familiar with how Airstream does it. I think since their curved they bend the aluminum and probably use a thicker aluminum.

Since Black Series is flat aluminum composite is more rigid but a little lighter.

I attached a screenshot of a site that I googled that explains it a little better I could.
Screenshot_20190312-213449.png

By the way. I love Airstream and think they are a great product. I wanted to become an Airstream dealer in Utah but another dealer beat me to it.

I like the concept of this camper, IMO it would be a good one for "Flat Landing" or main National Forest dirt roads only, but what concern me is...…….I couldn't take this down the the secondary National Forest roads\trails or off camber roads, switch back mountain dirt roads Sally & I go in the Ozarks because of it's length, weight, & height to get deep into the remote offroad road areas for more solitude & better scenery. I like "some" modern conveniences, it's too much of an RV IMO than a Adventure Trailer.

Dave I love AT's stuff, I have some of their accessories, heater on my trailer, I still need to order the Scepter Water Can Holders. Great company to deal with, customer service is "top notch" IMO. Their stuff is rugged & made to last.

Looking seriously at these. I've got the Airstream 22FB and while it's light, tows great, and has an awesome layout, it's not going off road even a little. I scrape the back end badly just pulling out of my not very steep driveway. It came with a garbage battery, tires, and coupler. There are quite a few serious problems with it. (Not knocking Airstream, this is simply not the trailer Wally took around the world.)

The HQ15 is about the same cost, size, and it has the same amenities. But it comes with more of everything I want - power, water, protection, and clearance. I think this would have been a better choice for me had it been available.

Maybe next year when these have had some more time. (And hopefully they will ditch the shiny wood and bowl sinks.)

We will be bringing our 2020 Black Series Dominator to Desert Rendezvous next week. Had it on two trips so far (Mojave Road then a local campground) and we like it a lot.

Since I started this thread can I ask a question of the dealer?

Why are the dates on the frames tracing back to the early 2000's? Am I missing something or reading the stamp incorrectly?

Couple questions if you don't mind. Have you had it on many trips and how did it work out?

Would you mind posting a few interior pics?

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom