Big Bend National Park

Thanks for the link.

We did Old Ore Rd about a year ago and with any road which is mostly desert sand, it can change quickly with a little rain. I think the article accurately describes the road but if he would have aired down and removed his jacks, the rating would have dropped a couple notches.

Looks like I may be near here on my way to Desert Rendezvous... hmmm

EB62F418-5082-445E-B485-45B9E80436A8.jpeg

Looks like I may be near here on my way to Desert Rendezvous... hmmm
Then you owe it to yourself to stop in for a few days. Old Ore, Black Gap and River Road are good drives with a good variation in scenery. The pavement is pretty scenic too! Maverick will be the perfect place to experience miles and miles of washboard. Big Bend Ranch SP is just down the road......., so many trails, so little time.

Then you owe it to yourself to stop in for a few days.

In a perfect world that would be the case - a few days. Right now I'm trying to squeeze a one nighter in there on a detour from I-10.

So if a guy had ONE day or night in Big Bend or it's environs, where to spend it?

In a perfect world that would be the case - a few days. Right now I'm trying to squeeze a one nighter in there on a detour from I-10.

So if a guy had ONE day or night in Big Bend or it's environs, where to spend it?

I'd do River Rd west to east, then Old Ore south to north. Here are the details. From I-10, turn south on Hwy 90 in Van Horn and follow it to Marfa. If time permits, take farm road 2810 (on Google maps) southwest towards Ruidosa. That turns into Pinto Canyon Rd and is a great drive, half paved, half gravel. But, if you're really short on time take Hwy 67 south to Presidio then east on 170 past the entrance to BBSP on thru Terlingua and enter the NP on 118. Then you can do washboards down Maverick or go a little further to Ross Maxwell Scenic Dr down to Castolon. I'd do Ross Maxwell personally and it is faster. Just before Castolon, River Rd turns east and goes about 50 miles across the park coming out about a mile west of the south end of Old Ore Rd. There are campsites all thru there but they require reservations which traditionally have been day of only but I hear they are changing to online advance reservations this year. I think the sites off Old Ore are more scenic but YMMV. You can research where you want to stop and sightsee as there will be many more things to see than one day will allow.

One more thing, if you're camped and the wind starts to howl overnight, close all your vents/windows. Why you ask? It will cover everything and everyone in a light coating of dust!

One more thing, if you're camped and the wind starts to howl overnight, close all your vents/windows. Why you ask? It will cover everything and everyone in a light coating of dust!

Yes sir, I’ve been in the desert a time or two ;)

Oh, man, that IS awesome, always wanted to go there, but never made it during my "trucking daze"---however, I DID make it to Guadalupe Mountains Nat'l Park as well as Mt. Livermore (second highest peak in TX), and those outdoor venues are also magnificent. Many folks don't realize that TX has mountain ranges which push 9000' in elevation, they think of eastern Texas which is relatively flat. Those are some nice cliffs in that canyon in your pics, are ya gonna do some rafting or canoeing on that river? Rig some sort of shuttle? Some close-up pics of those cliffs taken from the water would be spectacular, no doubt. Anyway, enjoy your trip, this is a good time of year to be in that part of the country... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom