Big Bear over the weekend with Goose Gear

richard310

Adventurist
Author
Hitched onto a trip with GooseGear over to Big Bear this past weekend for a short getaway. I was extremely happy as Deanna finally had time to join in. We hit the road Saturday morning to meet up Brian and the gang who had arrived the day before. We found camp at Yellow Post 29: A nice little settlement atop a small hill along the ridge at the end of FS-2N11. Many rock croppings for climbing and windbreaks, and plenty of shade. We then dropped off a few items to mark camp, and headed down into Big Bear to check out the lake and relax a bit before heading back up. The lake levels were low with mucky and smelly shorelines; the north side of the lake was dry as a bone. After hanging out on the lake edge, we headed back up to do some light trail run and exploring as neither of us had been in that particular area. Ends up there was a mountain bike race being planned that weekend, and many mountain bikers were already riding the course. Encountered a small photoshoot on the way back to camp as well. I don't recall the roads we took but 2N10 was the main road in and out. After some breathtaking views and smooth fire roads, we headed back into camp and setup for dinner and a peaceful night. Sunday was a bit of a late morning, but luckily we didn't need to rush out. We were debating whether or not to run Clarks Grade, but time and a deadline wouldn't allow for it. We decided to take HWY-38 back home. On the way out of camp, we actually were driving the actual mountain bike course, encountering participants either coming head-on or flying past us on the trails. Felt a bit awkward but we had to get out. Overall a wonderful trip to get away from work for a night. Thanks for having us again Brian!

Checking out the mucky shoreline:

Exploring the area off of 2N10 (turned into a light photo session):

Wonderful views:

The gang:

One of many closed gates... quite saddening as we had to turn around a few times.

On the way down the valley, HWY-38 on the opposite ridgeline

Flowers were in full bloom, made for a colorful drive.

Back at camp checking out the immediate area, climbing on rocks, and enjoying the sunset:

Of course, the obligatory shot :)

A few night shots to what the D80 can muster up with the small DX sensor...

One of many overhead commercial airliners

Packing up on a leisurely Sunday morning and taking the opportunity for some photo-ops:

Until next time :)

Wish I could have made it, I love Big Bear. Thanks for sharing the trip, hope to make the next one

Looks like a perfect weekend guys! As always, amazing photos and narrative Richard - thanks for sharing! I think a Clark's Grade run is in order for Mountain Rendezvous!

:map

Shhhh, Don't tell everyone about Yellow post #29 I love that spot!

Great pictures!

Attachments

• IMG_3475.jpg
    IMG_3475.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
Great stuff Richard! Looks like a good time! I really wish I had more time to get into my own backyard and camp...

Looks like a perfect weekend guys! As always, amazing photos and narrative Richard - thanks for sharing! I think a Clark's Grade run is in order for Mountain Rendezvous!

:map
Clarks grade was part of the run I led for MRV last year. Made for a good day

Thanks guys. Its nice to have a spot not too far from home, but it's still a 2-3hour drive. Wish you guys could have made it up as YP-29 is a great camp area. Pinned for next time!

Clark's Grade is definitely in order for MRV :)

It was a nice a trip, a little cold the first night (33 degrees) in the tent, but it was still toasty in my 0 degree rated Teton sleeping bag. If only I could get my head in it!

Back
Top Bottom