best way to study for Ham Radio Technician License?

I just picked an exam date with plenty of time to study. Devoted one section per day and took the practice exam for that section plus whatever section I did the day before and so on and so forth until I got everything right. This way, I can get a feel for how I'm doing before moving on. On the final section I did the entire tech practice exam. Look for review materials that allow you to show the correct answer by itself so as not to confuse yourself. Feel free to read and understand why it is the correct answer. You will also find that some cases the answer is self-explanatory.

The most important thing is getting you on the air, where you can participate in certain nets, field day, etc. And if you have any desire later on to take on a ham related project, say a go box, an antenna, or say a node, maybe even your own repeater, then you can always go more in depth. I would suggest finding a good elmer willing to mentor you on these things unless you want to go it alone.

On the subject of cheap radios, I've always wanted to try them but I've had a lot of luck w/ used Kenwoods, Yeasus and Icoms mostly through the qrz.com classifieds, that I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Getting a cheap radio to start with is not a bad idea until you really know what features you want and need. Like in my case since I do aprs, all my ht's and mobile have built in tnc's. A good used older ht is the older Kenwood TH-d7ag you usually see them go for less than a buck fifty ($150). Just my two cents. Good luck to you.

Our club (Rising Sun 4x4 Club of Colorado) is very active in the HAM community and we've put together a great section of our forum dedicated to amateur radio. I'm sure you'll find this useful, I refer back to it from time to time. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=20

HAM is one of those things that you learn AFTER you get your license. Folks in the community are very willing to help and teach. I barely turn my CB on anymore unless I have to. There is simply no comparison between the two forms of communication, HAM is far superior in every category.

I downloaded the free PDF study guide from http://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2014-no-nonsense-tech-study-guide-v20.pdf

It took me two evenings to read through the study guide while taking notes. I then went to http://hamstudy.org and started studying flash cards. The flash cards track your progress and show you questions you get wrong until you build aptitude. The site works on mobile browser and tracks progress across multiple devices. I took the exam after studying for a week and got a 33/35 on the exam.

The biggest advantage of flash cards over simply taking practice test is your are guaranteed to see all the questions in the pool. Statistically, you would have to make about 1,000 practice test to see all the questions.

This is an old thread but in case anyone else is looking at taking the test, I just passed my Tech exam yesterday. Like others have said the Gordon West book is a great study tool. It tells you why the answer is correct and not just giving you the answer. I want to learn about amateur radio, not just pass all the test and still not have a clue..........There are a total of 426 possible test questions, out of those you are given a test with 35 from several different test pools. QRZ.com is a great place to take the test, create a log in and it tracks all the time you take the test. It also gives you the area you missed and you can retake just that section and questions.

I am researching now what radio to get. There are some local clubs and I am looking forward to learning from them. Good luck!

I actually have an article in the works about this topic. Might just run it here since the launch is still a ways out.

Long story short, I installed a free app on my phone and did test questions on smoke breaks for a couple months. (I wasn't in a hurry at first.) Once I started studying in earnest, it took about a week to get all the questions.

I aced the test in less than 5 minutes.

For the record, I'm in the camp that doesn't care about antenna rigging, EME, and whatnot. Just need a license to use a walkie talkie. I learn new stuff as it interests me.

I used hamstudy.org when I prepped for my test last year. Just spent about 20-30 minutes a day studying for a month or so, and I only missed two questions on the tech exam. Then missed two too many get my general the same day. Big thing I liked about hamstudy was that each question had explanations for why an answer was correct. Better than some of the other sites that simply encourage memorization of the answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an old thread but in case anyone else is looking at taking the test, I just passed my Tech exam yesterday. Like others have said the Gordon West book is a great study tool. It tells you why the answer is correct and not just giving you the answer. I want to learn about amateur radio, not just pass all the test and still not have a clue..........There are a total of 426 possible test questions, out of those you are given a test with 35 from several different test pools. QRZ.com is a great place to take the test, create a log in and it tracks all the time you take the test. It also gives you the area you missed and you can retake just that section and questions.

I am researching now what radio to get. There are some local clubs and I am looking forward to learning from them. Good luck!
Grab a couple of Baofengs as throw down handhelds, it doesn't hurt as bad if one bricks on you or gets lost as the higher end radios.

My wife and I passed the Technician and General tests by November after starting last Summer. We are currently studying for the Extra test which is extremely hard. I plan to get a decent mobile rig this Spring.

Back
Top Bottom