Best Time of Year to Camp in Big Bend NP?

Fergie

Adventurist
Founding Member
Hey all,

My boy did a presentation on TX for school(1st grader), and now wants to check out Big Bend NP and go camping there.

Established CGs in the NPs aren't my thing, and it looks like Big Bend has a lot of back country to explore, so I'm turning to the expert travelers here for advice.

When is the best time of year to view the area? We're cold weather inclined, so I was thinking springtime. Also, what are some of the decent backcountry routes to take?

I'll be making the drive from Flagstaff to Silver City on one day, then on to BB the next. I'd like to travel farther out, and then work our way back in towards AZ if possible.

What does everyone recommend?

Your advice and guidance is appreciated.

Gavin

The Big Bend Region of TX offers three different areas to explore.
Black Gap WMA https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/wma/find_a_wma/list/?id=2&activity=camping
Big Bend National Park (BBNP) https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/roadsidecamps.htm
Big Bend Ranch State Park (BBRSP) https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_p4501_2059.pdf
Each one of these has their own web site for maps and rules/regulations and closures for hunting.
I prefer the cooler off seasons, October-February. BBNP does offer Primitive Roadside camping in designated locations. Check the rules on reservation of these. All of the backroads are scenic and can be challenging during the monsoon season.
Take as much time as you can with you to explore any of these three, even with a vehicle. BBNP has multiple facilities throughout the park. BBRSP has next to no facilities and is very remote, expect zero cellular coverage. Be prepared for this, (read nav). BGWMA has no facilities that I know of yet.
BBRSP pulls me back every time, I have not found a bad spot in this park yet....I really enjoy it!
Each will provide weeks of exploration and magnificent night skies!!

Kids and I are slated to hit the road for BBNP the 3rd week of February. No real specific itinerary, just planning on spending a few days here and there, and then a leisurely drive back through NM.

Was thinking Carlsbad, White Sands, and some areas around Silver City and the Gila Cliff Dwellings.

Anyone care to weigh in with specific suggestion for BBNP area or other spots in Southern and Western NM?

Thanks!

Hey all,

My boy did a presentation on TX for school(1st grader), and now wants to check out Big Bend NP and go camping there.

Established CGs in the NPs aren't my thing, and it looks like Big Bend has a lot of back country to explore, so I'm turning to the expert travelers here for advice.

When is the best time of year to view the area? We're cold weather inclined, so I was thinking springtime. Also, what are some of the decent backcountry routes to take?

I'll be making the drive from Flagstaff to Silver City on one day, then on to BB the next. I'd like to travel farther out, and then work our way back in towards AZ if possible.

What does everyone recommend?

Your advice and guidance is appreciated.

Gavin
Just returned from BIBE last week. Rio Grande Village, Cottonwood and Chisos Campgrounds full every night. All the backcountry sites were full every night. By 9am the RV's are like sharks circling the campsites for someone to pull out. Backcountry sites are 1st come 1st serve and you have to obtain permits at Panther Junction or Chisos Basin VC. By April the temps will be over 100 everyday.
For a 1st grader, a Mule Ears hike (to the spring) is great, hiking to the entrance of Boquillas Canyon is great and you can swim in the Rio Grande too. Windows hike in Chisos could be difficult.
Blue Bonnets in bloom now, the Ocotillos will be blooming in late March and early April

Kids and I are slated to hit the road for BBNP the 3rd week of February. No real specific itinerary, just planning on spending a few days here and there, and then a leisurely drive back through NM.

Was thinking Carlsbad, White Sands, and some areas around Silver City and the Gila Cliff Dwellings.

Anyone care to weigh in with specific suggestion for BBNP area or other spots in Southern and Western NM?

Thanks!
Good choices. City of Rocks State Park (near Silver City) is fantastic for kids! See my reply to the OP about BIBE experience and hikes for kids

Thanks!

I’ve not been to Big Bend yet, but CARLSBAD CAVERNS is EPIC!!!

Just returned from BIBE last week. Rio Grande Village, Cottonwood and Chisos Campgrounds full every night. All the backcountry sites were full every night. By 9am the RV's are like sharks circling the campsites for someone to pull out. Backcountry sites are 1st come 1st serve and you have to obtain permits at Panther Junction or Chisos Basin VC. By April the temps will be over 100 everyday.
For a 1st grader, a Mule Ears hike (to the spring) is great, hiking to the entrance of Boquillas Canyon is great and you can swim in the Rio Grande too. Windows hike in Chisos could be difficult.
Blue Bonnets in bloom now, the Ocotillos will be blooming in late March and early April

Great info - Thanks for sharing!!!

I too was in Big Bend last week. The flowers were beyond our greatest expectations. Camped 4 nights, all back country sites as that was what interested the wife and me. When we were at PJ standing in line to get a permit, we became concerned we wouldn't be able to get any site. We heard the three people ahead of us get sites that seemed less than what they wanted but the overriding theme was they didn't ask for anything specific. I had printed the Back Country Planning Worksheet from here: https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/upload/BC_worksheet.png

I had first and second choices for each night of our stay. We got 3 of our first choices with some re-arranging of what section of the park we planned to see each day. It seemed as if seeing the worksheet made the ranger try a little harder to help us. Or maybe it was just luck. We did every back country road in the park with exception to Old Maverick. The longest being River Road from east to west and we met 3 trucks and 6 ADV bikes in 50+ miles. Old Ore was 26 miles long and we saw two other vehicles. Black Gap, no one but us! So yes, the campgrounds are crowded but the back country roads were very quiet.

I should also mention we left BBNP and went down the road to Big Bend Ranch State Park. No crowd, solitude defined. Although it is close to BBNP, its noticeably more arid and more rugged. Rangers were nice and very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom