Battery operated lights

jscusmcvet

Adventurist
Related to overlanding...
as long as it is Joe, overlanding his gocart on the compound....
I am looking for mountable lights that are quite bright so he can ride the 2ish miles of trails we have built at night. Cannot run off a vehicle battery, so either self contained battery system or even one I have to mount remotely on the back of the cart. I just don't want to strap a big vehicle battery on that has to be recharged. Rather I would like batteries I can just change out.

Any ideas?

Related to overlanding...
as long as it is Joe, overlanding his gocart on the compound....
I am looking for mountable lights that are quite bright so he can ride the 2ish miles of trails we have built at night. Cannot run off a vehicle battery, so either self contained battery system or even one I have to mount remotely on the back of the cart. I just don't want to strap a big vehicle battery on that has to be recharged. Rather I would like batteries I can just change out.

Any ideas?

I think your answer comes from cycling options. What's the budget?

Light & Motion Seca 2500 would provide excellent light output for a gocart. Many other cheaper bike options are available though. Most provide a handlebar mount that might be of use, but many also have gopro style mounts as well.

Did exactly what you're talking about with my daughter's bike. Used a cheap auxbeam 12v flood pattern light off amazon mounted to the handle bars and then sacrificed an old cordless drill I hated. Chopped off the handle just to keep the battery connections and little tab that locked the battery in place. Had two batteries for that drill so one stays on the charger and the other on the bike. It's my daughter's responsibility to swap them out otherwise she's riding in the dark.

Dug up a photo of the light mounted, you can see the handle of the drill with the battery sitting on the seat. Zip tied everything to the frame and wrapped everything in wire loom when it was done. Single light has pretty good output, more than enough for a bike. Never tested how long that drill battery would last but I know she'd ride for at least an hour at a time with no problem.

Screenshot_20190530-232709.jpg

Screenshot_20190530-232759.jpg

Dug up a photo of the light mounted, you can see the handle of the drill with the battery sitting on the seat. Zip tied everything to the frame and wrapped everything in wire loom when it was done. Single light has pretty good output, more than enough for a bike. Never tested how long that drill battery would last but I know she'd ride for at least an hour at a time with no problem.

View attachment 45544

View attachment 45545
Great work! Thanks to everyone who responded.

Back
Top Bottom