Battery drain after winch install

Al Swope

Adventurist
Founding Member
I recently installed a winch on my RZR for use with my snow plow. It gets power directly from the battery. It keeps killing my battery if I let it sit for a few days. I replaced the battery. What steps would i do to trouble shoot? What are likely causes for this battery drain?.

No. I assume I must have parasitic draw. I don't know how to test for it or eliminate it.

It's just a RZR, how many things are powered when it's off? None I think, no radio,clock refrig or any of the many current sucking systems in a road vehicle. Something in the winch install went south?

Even a small LED light or battery meter will kill the biggest battery over time.

An easy fix would be one of these battery isolators, but that does not solve the mystery. I'd start by detaching the winch leads and then reassess, if the drain stops you know you have an issue within the winch itself, if it does not stop it's the RZR.

Battery-Isolator-Switch-44075_f.png

Yes, I had no issue before the winch install and have no other accessories. I have unattached the positive to the winch and that stops the drain. I am wondering if I did something wrong on the install to cause this. The battery compartment is under the drivers seat. I'll have to see if there is room for an isolation switch.

You could just extend or replace the + cable to allow for a dash mount switch perhaps a relay too?

^^ I hope everyone takes the time to read the above, very good info we all should know but will forget. Thanks

@Dave I’ve been watching. It’s pretty clear what it is, the question is why, and it’s more to do with the actual winch

Call their support number and ask if that’s normal behavior.

Yes, I had no issue before the winch install and have no other accessories. I have unattached the positive to the winch and that stops the drain. I am wondering if I did something wrong on the install to cause this. The battery compartment is under the drivers seat. I'll have to see if there is room for an isolation switch.
The isolation switch could go ANYWHERE in the cable, it doesn't have to be under the seat.

But a winch without a controller connected/activated in some way shouldn't have ANY draw on it. Who makes the winch? Do they mention draws in the manual and recommend ways to handle them (My guess is no, because standard winches don't have active circuitry)?

The isolation switch could go ANYWHERE in the cable, it doesn't have to be under the seat.

But a winch without a controller connected/activated in some way shouldn't have ANY draw on it. Who makes the winch? Do they mention draws in the manual and recommend ways to handle them (My guess is no, because standard winches don't have active circuitry)?

It is a Moose winch, but I believe it is made by Warn. This is the winch. Mine is synthetic rope, but I can't imagine that maters. I replaced their switch with a rocker that fit my dash panel. The rocker does not have an LED in it. I will try the parasitic draw test this weekend

winch.PNG

LED you may have just discovered the culprit. It would be interesting to see the draw difference between your new switch and the old one?

There seem to be a number of posts in ATV forums about this exact same issue with a number of models of ATV and Winch. (googled: winch drawing power when not in use). It also seems to be affecting a number of Jeep owners (according to google's ranked results anyway). The solution in most cases seems to be that people get rid of the rocker switch and just put in a heavy duty battery disconnect switch in it's place or at least add one in line. Must be something in winch design that causes this draw...can't imagine what though.

Back
Top Bottom