Battery Disconnect Question

Al Swope

Adventurist
Founding Member
I've been having a problem with my UTV. The winch I installed for plowing has a severe parasitic draw. It kills my battery over night. I've checked all of the grounds and looked for loose connections. I want to install a battery disconnect switch and bought this. What gauge wire should I use to/from the battery? The switch will be 24-30" away from the battery.
switch.PNG

what is the draw of the winch?
Do you plan on adding any circuit protection, or is there already some inline?

The winch has a fuse. I believe the winch is 140amp at max draw. Right now the the positive battery terminal has the main power for UTV and the winch hooked to it. I want to route both of those through this switch and then connect to battery. That way when the switch is off, the entire UTV and winch is dead.
Capturex.PNG

since they are routed together I will assume that the winch is factory installed. In that case, I would match the existing wire as a minimum. Guessing on the distance from the disconnect to the winch I would assume the existing wire is probably in the neighborhood of 4 or 6 gauge

Thanks. I found this. It would make the install super easy. Is there a down side to using too large of a wire?

Capturee.PNG

Back
Top Bottom