Battery charging with AC charger

Al Swope

Adventurist
Founding Member
It appears I've ruined my ATV battery. I connected it to my battery charger set at 10A. I let it charge for ~30 hours. The battery is swollen and has no charge. I have charged full size batteries many times at this setting. The charger is ~40 years old. It also has a 2A setting and a 55A "start" setting. Any idea what went wrong?

Check the voltage coming out of the charger. Amps aren't critical because a battery simply won't accept any more amps than it can no matter what the setting. But too many volts can kill it.

It was a $60 lead acid battery. I just ordered a odessy AGM to replace it. I will check the voltage out put of my charger tonight.

False. You can and absolutely will overcharge a battery if the amperage is set too high and left unmonitored while charging.

Sorry if I am passing bad info. Not arguing, but asking: How can a charger push more amps than the battery wants without increasing voltage? I thought the two were linked.

Sorry if I am passing bad info. Not arguing, but asking: How can a charger push more amps than the battery wants without increasing voltage? I thought the two were linked.

I'm no expert, but my understanding is (if not a smart charger): The battery charger will continue to pass current through the battery even when full. Although the battery will stop absorbing that current, continuing to pass current through at any rate will cause a reaction. In the case of a lead/acid battery that will be heat/gas. Higher current means higher heat and more off gassing. Exceeding it's ability to absorb energy and shed gas/heat = swollen or an exploded battery.

^^^^ That sounds like what I did.

I agree.

I finally picked up a smart charger the other day to help recover the batteries on the Cruiser that I failed to maintain during the winter here. I think one was saved, the other... not so much. :facepalm I will be able to leave this charger plugged in to keep both batteries healthy while the Cruiser waits out the road salt.

I agree.

I finally picked up a smart charger the other day to help recover the batteries on the Cruiser that I failed to maintain during the winter here. I think one was saved, the other... not so much. :facepalm I will be able to leave this charger plugged in to keep both batteries healthy while the Cruiser waits out the road salt.
Smart!:thumbsup I do that as well when the Tacoma sits in the garage for an extended period.

Back
Top Bottom