Base Camp Entertainment

Al Swope

Adventurist
Founding Member
I just made this for a 10 yo for Xmas. Also a set of throwing knives. I think it’s heavy enough to suspend between 2 trees so collateral tree damage should be minimal.
Do you guys bring any games to camp?

AC1C7923-7041-41A5-A7CB-C89B5F35A5A3.jpeg
00095A89-0D10-408E-A164-74001F4AD7BF.jpeg

I have a set of playing cards but they also have kind of a "What if" for survival type scenarios on them so folks sitting around a campfire have a good discussion. It's pretty fun because you learn a lot about other folks and how/why they think when presented with a problem.

Bocce is a great game that I enjoy in camp.

For inclement weather I keep a deck of Uno cards around. We played a dice game called CLR recently that was pretty fun.

I have a set of playing cards but they also have kind of a "What if" for survival type scenarios on them so folks sitting around a campfire have a good discussion. It's pretty fun because you learn a lot about other folks and how/why they think when presented with a problem.

I'd love to find a GOOD deck of cards like that. Well worth having on hand.

I'm surprised CORN HOLE hasn't come up yet.

A bit bulky perhaps, but it's an excellent game that almost anyone can enjoy, and it lends itself really well to group type settings..

For inclement weather I keep a deck of Uno cards around. We played a dice game called CLR recently that was pretty fun.

I have never played Bocce but have always thought it looked fun. Thinking about it the desert should provide a great field for it.

Pretty much every campout we had when I was in a VW bus club had Bocce games. Quoits (with proper metal rings) was also popular.

I keep a deck of cards in the back of the truck and I usually have a laptop with me which has the microsoft solitaire collection as well as hearts, spades and backgammon on it. I'm usually by myself obviously.

the wife & I are mostly nomads on our travels, base camp entertainment usually consist of listen to music a few adult beverages around the campfire, talking, shooting archery, napping.

We usually have a cribbage board/cards. Also, we've started bringing Kubb with us, which is a lot of fun.

I'll second that bb guns are great fun to plink with out in the wilderness!

I always have a cribbage board and a deck of cards around. It's a laugh out loud riot to teach new players over a couple of beers. Cribbage is a great background game to sitting around and shooting the shit.

Same with having a guitar or two around. Bunch of great songs can get people humming and singing and beating on buckets etc.

When there were more kids around I gave my kid a deck of Bird ID cards...lay 'em all out face down, then the players take turns turning one over and guessing where it's match is, like the old Concentration game. When they got a match they kept both cards. Player with the most sets wins.

Each card had facts about the bird pictured; name, size, range, habits, etc. Those kids remember their bird facts to this day and still give each other bird ID related gifts for birthdays and xmas.

We also did tree, plant, and animal track ID activities, though not with cards.

Lastly, we'd make up stories together with mythical elements, with a protagonist, a challenge, refusal, mentor, etc about places like Emerald Island (a large mound in the middle of a field with pines on it), Pierce's Pond, Buzzer the Cross-Eyed Bumblebee, etc.

I'm surprised CORN HOLE hasn't come up yet.

A bit bulky perhaps, but it's an excellent game that almost anyone can enjoy, and it lends itself really well to group type settings..

We always have cards and an UNO deck in our rig, but we do also own a *collapsible* cornhole set. It uses a frame of what is essentially PVC piping and a fabric "board" stretches over this. It plays a bit more bouncy than a real cornhole set, but since everyone is playing on the same surfaces, it balances out, more or less.

Back
Top Bottom