Baking on the trail

CSpolsky

Adventurist
So I am interested in modern ways to bake on the trail, Like ways to bake biscuits or cinnamon rolls. I am use to baking in the dutch oven but I am curious if there are any new ways to get around lugging coals and a 20 lbs oven around. I remember watching a Expedition Off road episode where they showed a nifty tool but I could not locate the product. So I am asking fellow members what do they use that is light weight and what ACTUALLY works.

So I am interested in modern ways to bake on the trail, Like ways to bake biscuits or cinnamon rolls. I am use to baking in the dutch oven but I am curious if there are any new ways to get around lugging coals and a 20 lbs oven around. I remember watching a Expedition Off road episode where they showed a nifty tool but I could not locate the product. So I am asking fellow members what do they use that is light weight and what ACTUALLY works.
I haven't used it myself but firebox stove has some neat videos of them baking with their kit
8fb7ab11f5cf44976c64d2f8ee49bb2f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The Coleman oven does work, although heating is a bit uneven, takes practice to get it to stabilize, and don't rely on the thermometer to be accurate. They are not very big either. I used one to bake my Triple Chocolate Cake during a burn ban. Had to use 2 round cake pans to get it done.

We use an Outback Oven by Backpackers Pantry, but they don't seem to make it anymore.

It cooks great pizza and brownies!

At a campout called woodsmoke we had some reflective kind of "ovens" that cooked very well over a campfire. I made some awesome biscuits! Also during daytime sunny places solar ovens do very well.....

Other than me having to do the cooking, what's the problem with cooking on the trail. I don't have anymore room in the truck for a dishwasher...

It isn't as good as using my big dutch oven or even my smaller dutch oven, but I've used this combo to quasi-bake on my Coleman stove. I use the deeper one to cook and heat the shallow skillet before placing it on top in position as a lid. These are also what I use for 99% of my camp cooking, so they always travel with us.
http://shop.lodgemfg.com/deep-skillets/3-quart-cast-iron-combo-cooker.asp
This looks like a win to add to Ann's current cast iron cooking array... stocking stuffer perhaps?
Cast Iron.jpg

Back
Top Bottom