Baja CA Camping

ScottStafford

Adventurist
Searched the forums a little bit, but a lot of the posts are pretty outdated now. Looking for some newer/fresher information on the area. So here's a few questions I have in regards to camping...

I'm looking at heading down in mid-April, so I assume the weather should be pretty nice? I'll of course bring jackets and a pair of jeans, but from what I've read it should be pretty mild along the coast line.

Camping wise, I'm trying to avoid places that are listed in guide books and what not, because I don't feel like camping with a ton of people. Where are some of the quieter spots along the coast? My research has shown that most of the coastline is open game, and a good 4x4 should get you just about anywhere your heart desires.

Aside from the following basics of paper work, will I need anything else?

- Passports
- Paperwork for the dogs
- Mexico car insurance
- ???

How are the borders in both directions? Pretty straight forward to pass through? I've been told US > Mexico is a non issue, but Mexico > US can be a headache. I'll be coming in/out through the Chula Vista area.

Thanks in advance for fielding my questions! If I posted this is the wrong forum, please let me know!

I prefer the Tecate crossing my self, very low key, pretty drive through the wine country to get to Ensenada, or take the toll road over to Hwy 5 to go south along the Sea of Cortez side.

For the dogs, you SHOULD get an International Health Certificate, I'm hit and miss on getting them, never been asked for one on either side of the fence. Get the certificate from your vet.

Mexican Tourist visa is another one of the SHOULD get items, again, I'm hit/miss with those as well. You have to get the visa at the border crossing, and it's a dog and pony show to get it. Go to the Immigration Office, fill out the paperwork, go to the bank, pay your fee, back to the Immigration Office to get the visa. Just like the health certificate, I've never been asked to see my visa. Visa fee depends on your length of stay, up to 7 days is free.

Mexican Auto insurance is a MUST have.

Border crossing into Mexico is a matter of minutes in most cases, crossing back to our side is a matter of HOURS.

I always exchange dollars for pesos on our side of the fence. They will take dollars most everywhere, but you'll get beat on the exchange rate. ATM's work with US credit cards these days as well.

We had water bottles freezing at last Nov's Baja 1000 in the mountains above Valle de Trinidad. Just like our local weather in SoCal, temps plummet in the desert as soon as the sun goes down.

The best beaches are on the Sea of Cortez side from Mulege to Loreto IMO, (unless you're a surfer, they prefer the Pacific side), it's a full days hard drive to get that far south though.

What we call trails, the locals consider major highways. We think we need a modded 4x4 to navigate these roads, the locals commute on them in clapped out Toyota trucks, hitting on 3 cylinders and bald tires of random sizes, and a horse in the bed of the truck (seriously).

Theft...if you wanted whatever was stolen, you would have put it away, since you left it out, some enterprising soul decided you must not want it any more.

My wife and I thoroughly enjoy Baja, two of her brothers are retired and living in San Felipe, which is our goal as well. If you go to the cities and go clubbing, you'll find the same trouble that you will in any city. Most of the folks down there are just like us. The Army checkpoints have NEVER been a problem for me. I've paid "on the spot" fines to the Policia twice in 15 years.

If you get down to a 1/2 tank of gas and see a Pemex, fill up, just because there is a Pemex on the map in the next village doesn't mean that it will still be there, or if it is there, they could be out of gas (not common, but it happens).

Thanks for the detailed post, Bob. I appreciate it greatly!

I posted this same post on another forum, and as with anything got varied responses. One thing a particular poster was mentioning was the cold wind blowing through Baja around April. Have you ever experienced that? And is one side Baja better than the other as far as the wind would go? I imagine it'd be worse on the Pacific side.

Pacific side is significantly colder than the Sea of Cortez side in my experience.

Bajanomad forum is a good local news/update from American living there.

Bob is spot on as I've been down there with him after 15yrs hiatus to Baja.

Back
Top Bottom