Bait

bob91yj

Adventurist
Founding Member
My grandson is staying with us for a few days. My neighbor goes fishing in the three PRIVATE catch/release lakes in our RV park most every morning. I asked him if we could go with him and teach Gage a little about fishing. (I've tried to be a fisherman over the years...I would have starved slam to death years ago if I depended on fishing for subsistence, or even a single dinner).

Anyway, we may have allegedly caught some small blue gill, then used them for bait to fish for the bass in the lake. Is it legal to use live blue gill as bait? Again, private catch and release lake. I checked the CA fishing regulations, clear as mud, in San Diego County in particular it doesn't say that you can't use live bait, just says that you have to use a dip net or trap to catch them and other than two types of shad live bait fish can't be purchased or sold.

I want to teach the kid the correct thing to do if I'm going to teach him. I chose not to question my neighbor about it. Funny part is my neighbor did have a bass take the little blue gill that he had just hooked but not reeled all the way in yet.

Your best bet is to find a local Turners or fishing shop and ask. The rules can very greatly over a small area and fines can be large

Back
Top Bottom