AZBDR

Kenny Schipper

Adventurist
Author
Sometimes it pays to answer the unknown caller. Mostly, it’s underpaid and overworked solicitors telling you that you’ve won a free cruise. Ya, sure buddy. Sometimes, it’s a guy named Deuce.
“You wanna ride the AZBDR in April?”
“Uuuuh…..YES!”
And like that, tentative plans were sketched in. It would be a dicey operation, what with the possibility of heavy snow late into May, but we were gunna ride something darn it!
I have the luxury of choosing between my adventure beast, the Super Tenere, and my Austrian mistress, Katya the KTM 450 xc-w. After reading some horror stories about the massive washouts on Cherry Creek Road I opted for the latter, and with 2 months to go, set about getting my high strung singletrack slayer as comfortable as possible while loaded up with gear and buzzing down the 2-lane. Enter Primary Drive, a Rocky Mountain ATV/MC house brand, and their cheap (but good!) gearing. The 13 becomes a 15 and the 52 becomes a 48. An oil change, an air filter, and a couple...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man... I'm feeling the need for a dual sport in my life again... great photos!

Can't do the bike thing, but my Jeep did some of the AZBDR. It's a great trek. Want to do the whole thing after expo west next year.

When we went through there was a large boulder smack in the middle of a steep section of Cherry Creek. Impassable on a 4x4, no moving it, and no way around. Don't know if it's been removed (doubt it), so if you try that route, be prepared to backtrack a ways.

When we went through there was a large boulder smack in the middle of a steep section of Cherry Creek. Impassable on a 4x4, no moving it, and no way around. Don't know if it's been removed (doubt it), so if you try that route, be prepared to backtrack a ways.

There was only one "memorably large" boulder we came across and it was on a relatively flat section. It was tight, but we made it through.

The Tacoma made short work of it:

A little more fineness was required due to the trailer:

Plenty of room for the Jeep:

And just enough for the trailer:

It was before the nasty washout... which was also fun in a 4x4 with a trailer. Still, we made it.

This was the third week of May about a week after Expo West this year.

Nice! looks like there's plenty of room now. Maybe just memory playing tricks on me, or maybe someone did some 're-routing' to widen the trail around. Looks like a fun trip nonetheless! (what a weird word, by the way..)

*And I meant steep as in sidehill - not able to drive around the sides - steep. trail was flat.*

This is HIGH on my list of must do trails...both on a moto and in the truck. I wanna string several of these together actually. AND I want to high speed/low drag them on the moto and see how fast I can get a few of them done.

Back
Top Bottom