Are Rock Sliders Necessary?

For me it's finding someone that can make them. I spoke with Chris at Ujoint Off-road today and he doesn't have the equipment yet. Raul at expedition outfitters says he's never found someone who makes them for F-150's. RCI metalworks makes them but aren't really HD enough. I have yet to contact the guys at Uhwarrie off road training center.

It is always more expensive when you have to ship them, but you can try John at http://white-knuckleoffroad.com/ He took real good care of me. You could also try checking your local Craigslist for a fabricator

Hefty Fabworks out of Colorado makes a set for the Raptor. I'm not sure why they're $1,295, but Chris over there is a really nice guy. That's where I bought my rear bumper from, twice.

Updated, maybe this is why.

Looks like there's a lot more to them than just a slider raid and mount.

Does your frame look like that? Are they the same as the Raptor?

It is always more expensive when you have to ship them, but you can try John at http://white-knuckleoffroad.com/ He took real good care of me. You could also try checking your local Craigslist for a fabricator
I just spoke with John and he said they have no plans to do F150 related stuff. Nice guy though.

- - - Updated - - -

Hefty Fabworks out of Colorado makes a set for the Raptor. I'm not sure why they're $1,295, but Chris over there is a really nice guy. That's where I bought my rear bumper from, twice.

Updated, maybe this is why.

Looks like there's a lot more to them than just a slider raid and mount.

Does your frame look like that? Are they the same as the Raptor?

I'd be a really nice guy for $1,295.00 a pop too.:eek: I can't see the frame that well.

- - - Updated - - -

Just called Scott at Uwharrie Off Road Training Center and left a message....to be continued.....he gave me a guys number in Fayetteville...

I would be glad to take a look at it for you, the biggest issue is how to tie it into the frame. You can always weld them to the frame but that does require a lot of work and someone who knows what they are doing. White knuckle has a really simple mounting system for the Dodge rams and may be possible to use on the f150 it is very structural and simple to mount.

Being the gnome that I am, I could build you a wondrous outhouse, but I know nothing about metal working, mounting or any O' that there technical flabberdebibbet! If it's something that you think is possible, could you look into it for me? I'm definitely interested. Thanks, Dan

I would be glad to take a look at it for you, the biggest issue is how to tie it into the frame.

Dan, take my word for it - Mike at Two Guys Metal Fab is who I would have do the work if I were in NC with an F-150!

Sliders are a good idea, running board just don't cut it when the going gets rough:

Attachments

• running board.jpg
    running board.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 79
While sliders can add quite a bit of weight (and I feel for those that approach/max GVWR), it is weight carried down low :D

And you don't have to have them tucked into the body either. Mine are flatter and extend out, doubling as stepping surface(s)...

truck.JPG

Somebody over on Expo suggested I look at these guys over in Logan Utah. I love Logan Canyon. Not only did they have some already made, but they were also having and extended end of year clearance sale. So I went ahead and ordered a set. The cost of both with shipping came to $350. :) They weigh about 60 lbs each and are made of 3/16" steel. Plus they fit the F150 extended cab. They also make a bunch of stuff for other vehicles. Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and help. I just decided to go with a better price and a well known brand of a product already made. They weigh in at 75 lbs each and they're Made in the USA !
https://www.rockslideengineering.com/product/rock-sliders/

I really would've liked to have hooked up with Mike in Uwharrie , but time, driving distance and cash flow really determined my final decision. I hope the product I purchased will be as good as something they could have created.

Last edited:
These are the sliders I have from White Knuckle Offroad http://white-knuckleoffroad.com/powerwagon.htm

Weather you need them or not is hard to say, I have a long wheelbase and have dents in the bottoms of all 4 doors from before the sliders went on. It was just a matter of time before I pinched a door shut.

Run about 90lbs per side, Bolt on (so if I damage one it can easily come off for repairs)

Other uses, no longer have to carry step stool for wife

Steel gauge depends on vehicle weight and how hard you plan to use them, the standard for the Dodge is .120 I decided to upgrade to the DOM in .188

as for square or round, it is hard to say, mine are a combo and work great. Strong flat smooth surface underneath to slide on, with the round tube with a kickout to guide the rear end around obstacles or pivot on.

Dodge%20Power%20Wagon%202005-2009%20whiteknuckleoffroad.JPG

all in all, Even with out rock crawling, things can happen offroad, and a solid set of sliders is cheap insurance in my book

I just emailed Jon, hopefully he can hook me up. With the Thuren Alien Arms mounting in the front might be a pain.

Back
Top Bottom