Are Rock Sliders Necessary?

100acre

Adventurist
Are rock sliders mainly only used for rock crawling?
Do they have many other uses?( I did hear Tango mention attachment points when winching at a class at the East Expo).
Do they add much weight to a vehicle?
If you were gonna have someone fab up a set, what gauge steel wold you use, and would your want to use round or square tubing and why?
Where and how would you have it attached to the frame of the truck?
Thanks. Dan

These are the sliders I have from White Knuckle Offroad http://white-knuckleoffroad.com/powerwagon.htm

Weather you need them or not is hard to say, I have a long wheelbase and have dents in the bottoms of all 4 doors from before the sliders went on. It was just a matter of time before I pinched a door shut.

Run about 90lbs per side, Bolt on (so if I damage one it can easily come off for repairs)

Other uses, no longer have to carry step stool for wife

Steel gauge depends on vehicle weight and how hard you plan to use them, the standard for the Dodge is .120 I decided to upgrade to the DOM in .188

as for square or round, it is hard to say, mine are a combo and work great. Strong flat smooth surface underneath to slide on, with the round tube with a kickout to guide the rear end around obstacles or pivot on.

Dodge%20Power%20Wagon%202005-2009%20whiteknuckleoffroad.JPG

all in all, Even with out rock crawling, things can happen offroad, and a solid set of sliders is cheap insurance in my book

90 lbs each is a bit much to add per side. I curse the day I bought a 1/2 ton without a payload package:headbang
Id love to have a set but, I'm concerned about all the weight I'll be adding with the FWC Hawk and extra gear. Is there a lighter and just as strong alternative without breaking the bank?

90 lbs each is a bit much to add per side. I curse the day I bought a 1/2 ton without a payload package:headbang
Id love to have a set but, I'm concerned about all the weight I'll be adding with the FWC Hawk and extra gear. Is there a lighter and just as strong alternative without breaking the bank?
I went with a heavy option, go with a .120 wall, and get ride of the outer bar (round one on mine) and you can save alot. Also, companies like aluminus (spelling ) will make aluminum ones that are way lighter, but not for my use

YMMV but it was the first thing I put on the Tacoma when I bought it. They had a ton of rub marks (before they stayed with the frame when Toyota replaced it) that it was my first purchase when I got the Taco back. Armour is such a tough item, expensive and heavy till you need it, but when you do, you REALLY need it. I have the same love/hate with my front bumper.... until a see a deer leap in front of me or remember the Honda that stopped in front of me suddenly on an icy road to pick up a pedestrian on a sidewalk. (didn't end well for the Honda and I had to replace a crush can, but no other damage to the Taco)

Sliders will be going on my dodge, and I've been very critical of what gets in the build plan.

-It's a mod that is transparent, meaning its not in the way.
-They even function as steps for vertically challenged spouses.
-On a pickup, a flare out behind the doors functions as a step to facilitate access to the roof.
-they provide jacking points for your hi lift, which are worth their weight in gold when doing repairs in the back country
-they are attachment points for stabilizing straps or a winch if you ever encounter a serious off camber situation (got a good story about that one for the campfire)

Bottom line, there is a lot of crap that you can spend money on for your rig, but rock sliders can save your bacon in several different situations. They will be on my truck, and are the most important (and possibly the only) armor that will go on my truck.

-they are attachment points for stabilizing straps or a winch if you ever encounter a serious off camber situation (got a good story about that one for the campfire

I will be expecting to hear this at DRV

And that is a good point, I have a jackjaw that will grab the round bar, and I can lift one side of the truck completely

They don't have to weigh 90lbs per side to be effective. I would venture you may be visiting places with your new rig sans trailer where they would be beneficial. Nothing like deciding you need them when it's to late.

By it's very nature, armor is going to be heavy. I think rocker protection on any off-highway vehicle is a stellar idea. I suppose there are companies out there that will make them out of aluminum, but I'll bet they are pricey as all get out and not as durable as steel would be in the long run. Mounting points can be argued ad nauseum with no clear winner.

Just as an example, your truck is going to be longer than most typical vehicles on any given trail, there are bound to be times when you can plant a rocker bar on a rock, using it as a pivot point on a sharp turn.

Just as an example, your truck is going to be longer than most typical vehicles on any given trail, there are bound to be times when you can plant a rocker bar on a rock, using it as a pivot point on a sharp turn.

No truer words were spoken by anyone who takes a longer wheelbase rig out to play with the little trucks. Sometimes you just need to "plant and wiggle!"

They don't call them "sliders" for nothin'. :)

I assume running boards, and Nerf Bars aren't the same thing? And thanks for all the helpful tips!
Aluminess won't make anything for F150 models, only F250's.

Last edited:
Running boards may hold up for one good hit before becoming part of the bottom of your doors. Rock sliders are stout armor capable of absorbing solid hits and keeping your paint on your vehicle.

Nerf bars are like the kicker in Cris' sliders, only more of it. They stick out further. Generally used in open wheel racing (like buggies) to keep your opponent and his wheels out of your wheels. Not what you need.

Nerf bars are like the kicker in Cris' sliders, only more of it. They stick out further. Generally used in open wheel racing (like buggies) to keep your opponent and his wheels out of your wheels. Not what you need.
Thank you!

Out here in the rocky desert, and even in the mud and timber back home, IMO sliders are the first armor anyone should add. Rocker damage is the most common carnage off road in my experience.

On the aluminum, I have heard a lot of complaints that they are "sticky" and don't slide as smooth as the steel. My main concern is the only one making them for the Dodge was aluminus and there dodge version only mounts to the pinch weld. I like a lot of their stuff, but the pinch weld just did not do it for me. I don't know of anyone that makes them for an f150, but any food fab shop should be able to take care of you. That is how we got the Dodge ones from white knuckle, one of the power wagon guys for them as a custom build and when the rest of us saw them we all started calling.

Back
Top Bottom