Anyone have a recommendation for canoes?

RickLB

Adventurist
Wife and I are starting to look at canoes for some water adventure. They sure ain't cheap. Need one for her, her dog and I with some gear. Thanks

When I was looking into getting a canoe (got two kayaks instead) I seriously considered a Hornbeck Nomad that can be configured as a solo or tandem. Then I saw that @Road got one for his travels, and made me sorta regret the kayak purchase. What a beautiful, useful vehicle for exploring the backwaters and rivers! Here's his post on it, and a direct link to the site.

Road's Horbeck Nomad
Hornbeck Boats

Those Hornbeck boats are nice, but they are basically open kayaks... the biggest tandem they offer is a huge 20.. with a max payload of 575 lbs, that's not very much. If you're wanting to travel with family and pack gear.. some of the prospectors can carry up to 1400 lbs...

Those Hornbeck boats are nice, but they are basically open kayaks... the biggest tandem they offer is a huge 20.. with a max payload of 575 lbs, that's not very much. If you're wanting to travel with family and pack gear.. some of the prospectors can carry up to 1400 lbs...
Yep. I was looking at them and similar lightweight canoes as a more versatile kayak substitute rather than a hauler. My nearly 67 year old back doesn't enjoy lifting a heavy more capable boat anymore. I wanted something the complete opposite of my old Grumman aluminum tank! ;) Like you said in post #2, first figure the need/use, then the budget. Then start shopping.

Some craigslist listings in the area look okay. I got my Grumman from there and have been happy with it. Lots of fun on Joccasse but not used as often as I would like.

Joccasse is beautiful.

All of these options is better than how we acquired our canoe, but it was pretty inexpensive. We got our canoe from an outfitter at the end of the season. It was scarred and beat up, and needed a thwart replaced.

I would also recommend a paddle day by a outfitter.. where you can try out lots of boats.. of course they've all been canceled that I know of...

oh yeah.. I really like Wenonah canoes, not sure how I left them out... they tend to be slightly faster canoes but tighter (smaller) on the ends so not quite as roomy for the front paddler.. which may be good, may be bad,, depends on what you want.

oh yeah.. I really like Wenonah canoes, not sure how I left them out... they tend to be slightly faster canoes but tighter (smaller) on the ends so not quite as roomy for the front paddler.. which may be good, may be bad,, depends on what you want.
I have been eyeballing the Wenonah kevlar's, just missed a nice 17-18' one for 500$.... Damn

Yeah both of those dominate the BWCA.. deep water, then carry to more deep water. You start to see other brands arise when you start adding rivers and rapids to the mix.

I think the best advice I got and what influenced my decision at the end was Kevin Callen... he said of you only have 1 canoe, and you're not sure what you want to do, or if you want to try it all.. get a prospector series from whoever. It's not the best at anything but it's good at everything. He also said if you could have 12 boats to do that too....

May I suggest a local Canoe livery shop? They sell their used boats at decent prices. Yes they get used a lot but are also maintained quite well. Buy from them and then when satisfied with what you want or need buy new. If you decide a canoe is not what you needed you are not out the big dollars. My .02 ;)

Back
Top Bottom