Andy's 2010 Tacoma

Very nice, it's great to solutions to issues that we all encounter. Different brake pads will help your stopping distance too, simple and relatively cheap.

I took advantage of my travel day from OVX and finally got these put in. Very simple to install, but I had done a lot of research online before I started.
image.jpeg

Hopefully I can get the springs in the rear tonight, but I need to borrow some taller jack stands from work.

Rear springs, timbrens and carrier drop are in. Also, I cleaned up the wiring in the engine compartment and did some small tasks that were necessary. Next is the alignment and some field time.

Hmmm, photos not loading.... I will try again tomorrow
:bs

Today's mission: fix the "good enough" wiring jobs I had done. On the way to the expo my fridge lost power. I was unable to diagnose the problem because the wiring was poorly arranged and my volt meter died (great timing!). Now my under hood fuse box is neat and properly attached, and the bed fuse box is also neat and accessible.

And I can't upload photos again... Not sure if it's my crappy Internet or a forum issue. When I click "upload a file" I can select a photo, it does a loading bar and then goes back to the "no file selected" instead of giving me a preview and "insert full or thumbnail" options.

:pics
Still unable to post photos...

Today I adjusted the front ICONs to level out the truck. The real question is how much take to leave in.

Also, I noticed the axle is now rubbing the spare as it cycles. Thinking its time to replace my bent rear bumper with a swing out. Sounds like a challenge, might be time to make a donation to Industrial Metal Supply and fire up the welder
:blacksmith

Some stuff I've done since the last update:

I installed a set of 4' airline track tie down rails in the bed. I just drilled through the bed and used fender washers on the underside. With the bed rug it provides an almost flat load surface as the rails fit almost perfectly into the valleys of the bed corrugations. (Pic pending)

After CCX16 I found that I needed lights aimed outboard (driving a ridge and being unable to see turns is not conducive to clean drawers). I checked out @sfsmedic's ditch lights which calmed my fears that they would interfere with or reflect off my safari snorkel. So I put in a call to CBI and ordered a set of brackets http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/products/2nd-gen-toyota-tacoma-products/t2-ditch-light-brackets/ and a set of Rigid Dually flood lights. Install was simple, just have a hack saw or other good tool for trimming the plastic trim.

IMG_4247.JPG

I had also received a late Christmas gift, a tool bag from blue ridge overland gear!! Great piece of kit, now I'm organized and the size matches my recovery bag. http://www.blueridgeoverlandgear.com/Tool-Bag-p/21tb-l.htm

IMG_4241.JPG

IMG_4242.JPG

I really love my ditch lights when driving tight curvy trails at night. Worth their weight in gold.

Since I'm over 100K miles this weekend was maintenance time. Figured I would change all my fluids (gear boxes) as part of the usual service, and share my observations. The transmission and T-case intervals were not due yet but I figured if I have the time now...

Engine: switched to Mobil1 High Mileage oil, keeping a 10K mile interval. Oil was black but no metal evident in the old oil. I change oil filters every 5K. I prefer Fram double guards.

Front Dif: first change. Oil was dark but not black. 9mm hex bolts were tight. Drain plug was very clean. Used Mobil1 75-90 to refill.

Transmission: first change on the 6 speed manual. Used Lucas full synthetic 75-90. Old oil was dark with no metal flakes but the magnetic drain plug had a some dark material stuck to it, looked like dirt. Not much of it though, maybe a half teaspoon.

T-Case: first change. I thought maybe I had gotten drunk one night and changed the T-case oil earlier since it was so clean (it could happen). Seriously, looked new! Have a piece of cardboard handy to keep the drained oil off the exhaust crossover. I used 75-90 Lucas full synthetic here too. Again, small amount of "dirt" on the drain plug magnet but no metal flakes or shine.

Rear dif: 2nd change, first was at 60K (I think). Oil was very black on draining. No metal showing in the oil, just a dirty drain plug. Used Mobil1 75-90 here as well.

Observations: no need to change t-case and transmission early, but no harm either. Removing and re-installing Budbuilt skids is a pain, but I did find that 12mm socket I have been missing for a year, so I've got that going for me.

IMG_4761.JPG

I started building the rear storage today. I had intended to just take out the seat bottoms and build in a shelf, but when I realized how much wasted space is behind the rear 'trim slash seat backs' I decided to yank that out and start from scratch. Updates to follow :eek:

I see side drawers and top access hatches for the rear. A nice rear deck with those top hatches would be super convenient. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Andy.

I see side drawers and top access hatches for the rear. A nice rear deck with those top hatches would be super convenient.

Pretty much the idea.

Things have been on hold Waiting on parts, but I spent most of today getting some work done. I built the basic frame for the shelf from 1" square tube but still need to get the mounts built and the details done. I did put sound deadened on the back wall today and sealed the plywood.
IMG_4888.JPG

Tomorrow I will carpet it and get it installed, then I can start getting the shelf mounts in.

Today I got the back wall around 80% done. I took apart the remote speaker for my 2M and built it into the rear, and put in a new antenna cable to reach the intended location for the unit. Then I carpeted the parts and got them in place:

IMG_1207.JPG

I did a quick mock up of the final intent:

IMG_1209.JPG

Next up is to put in trim on the outside edges and get the mole panels and 1st aid kit mounted. Then to finish the mounts for the floor.

Today I broke out the welder and made mounts for the floor base. The base and front mounts are from 1" square tube. Rear mounts are 1.5" angle and some 2" x 1/8 bar stock I had laying around.

IMG_1247.JPG

The base will be topped with hatches made from 1/2" birch ply with carpet (same as back wall). The height is set to fit Blue Ridge Overland Gear tool bag https://www.blueridgeoverlandgear.com/Tool-Bag-p/21tb-l.htm.

IMG_1250.JPG

Above the transmission tunnel will be a compartment for my 2M radio head, USB And 12v charging points and possibly an inverter. Still deciding if the inverter is worth the effort...

Front and rear mounts tie into the factory seat mounts.

IMG_1244.JPG

Subwoofer box will be rebuilt to flat with a storage area above it.

Looking good, Andy. Can't wait to see it at Mountain Rendezvous.

I've been busy at work but got some stuff done today. Getting closer but still a lot to do.

Lids are done. 1/2 birch plywood, sealed and covered with carpet then aluminum C channel around the edges.
IMG_4958.JPG

IMG_4959.JPG

I used some small pieces of airline track on the corners to protect the corner and help locate the front of the lid. Oh, and to tie down stuff :)
IMG_4960.JPG

Tomorrow is a test fit, then remove everything and spray with bedliner. While that is curing I will start building the center section.

Back
Top Bottom