Alpha Motor Corporation Wolf

Gallowbraid

Adventurist
I would buy one of these in a heartbeat. My only immediate gripe is that those fender flares are a little pronounced, but that's not a deal breaker.

1615562125125.png

Alpha is currently claiming a price of around $36,000, a range of 250 - 275 miles on a full battery and a towing capacity of 3,000 lbs. A 5.5 ft bed and a front trunk (frunk?) give more than enough storage options for this little fella. At 164" in length it's a little over a foot and a half longer than a 2 door JL and 2 foot shorter than the smallest Tacoma available. Alpha is saying it will be available in both a single engine 2wd version and a dual engine 4wd version.

1615562754817.png

1615562774747.png

1615562787934.png

Alpha is taking reservations and is claiming it will start delivery of the vehicle in 2023.

That's pretty sexy to me....

For someone who wants a DD pickup, that could work really well.... Keep the gas for long trips, little truck for daily around town.

I dig the aesthetic for sure.

I am fascinated by the all electric truck, but there is a lot about it that leaves me as just a curious onlooker. When talking about range I'm in the show me more camp. I drive about 700 miles to Florida twice a year and a few 20 minute gas stops will get me there and back. I definitely don't want to be sitting for hours while the truck charges up, and I sure a shooting don't want to stretch that trip into two days. I shudder to think of what a cross-country trip would look like in an electric truck.

On the flip side, I really like the power potential and simplicity of an electric motor.

I like the look of their vehicles. There's a brief shot in that video of solar panels from the fake roll bar to the end of the bed. I wonder what their solar recharging specs will end up being. At some point, as PV panels continue to improve or are replaced with something else, you could conceivably make a vehicle that never needs to be plugged in, in certain climates.

That's what I was thinking, trips to the airport and home depot for me. Save the miles for trips with the Tacoma.

I could be down with that as well. I only have a 11 mile commute these days so something like that would work fine.

Does anybody know what all these EVs cost to charge per day or week or month?

I could be down with that as well. I only have a 11 mile commute these days so something like that would work fine.

Does anybody know what all these EVs cost to charge per day or week or month?

Good question, there's got to be someone out there who has done a breakdown. Just read an article the other day where a gentleman from Georgia picked up a Mustang Mach E in California and drove it home to Savannah for around $160. I'm assuming that cost was what he paid at commercial charging stations...

Lots of questions...how long does a charge last in 20* or colder temps. How does the electric drivetrain handle icy or heavy snow commutes? Does excessive salt or chlorine spray negatively effect the drive motors?

I guess most of my concerns is to long term reliability issues. I spend my days continuously fixing electric problems in an industrial setting to keep the sawdust flying. Dirt, dust and moisture plagues even the most well sealed system. Relays, PLCs and servos bear the brunt. I don’t think I could pull the trigger on one until they’ve had a few years of real world running under their belts.

Current battery technology, even the newest stuff, doesn't like the cold. Today's EVs can lose as much as 60% of their capacity and range as temperatures drop. Adding systems to warm batteries can help, but then you've got one more system pulling from the battery so you achieve diminishing returns. As (@Twin Magnolias) Jeff pointed out above charging times are a pain as well. There are a few companies messing around with replacing some elements of current batteries with germanium and silicone to decrease charging times. I've seen claims that these new batteries could provide 100 miles of range in an EV after charging for only 5 minutes. I think the problem is still form factor and weight though. Until we find a way to charge batteries this fast AND provide a higher capacity without increases in weight EVs are going to be stuck in this 250 to 300 mile limit. Graphene based batteries may be where it's at...

My question is: What happens when the grid collapses from all the mandated electric vehicles sucking juice? Frequent blackouts will probably become the norm when the sun doesn't shine or the wind doesn't blow. I can see a lot of EV owners stranded/standing around waiting for the power to come back on so they can fuel their cars. Also, I doubt if they have considered what happens when power is restored and all the stranded vehicles (which will be plugged into the grid) all start sucking juice at the same time (i.e. massive surge on the grid).

Cam

My question is: What happens when the grid collapses from all the mandated electric vehicles sucking juice? Frequent blackouts will probably become the norm when the sun doesn't shine or the wind doesn't blow. I can see a lot of EV owners stranded/standing around waiting for the power to come back on so they can fuel their cars. Also, I doubt if they have considered what happens when power is restored and all the stranded vehicles (which will be plugged into the grid) all start sucking juice at the same time (i.e. massive surge on the grid).

Cam
There you go again handing out reality and taking all the fun out of the EV owners life, inducing uncertainty. In all seriousness a situation that could occur.

Back
Top Bottom