Air Compressor Options?

Here’s another portable option

View attachment 49197

No, that's the exact same one we've been talking about, and that I gave the link to a couple posts previously on this thread (see post #13); the ARB twin. $872 price tag for the ARB twin.

The Air Ammo also comes with a solid sturdy case (in this case, a steel weather-tight ammo can). And when in use, the ammo can lid is open so the compressor is getting air for cooling. I don't know of any others that come with a hard case - although I haven't extensively searched.

Some of the VIAIR compressors come with a soft case (which sometimes makes storing them in your vehicle easier).

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/tools/viair-portable-compressors.html

Last edited:
I am running a Extreme Outback HD compressor on my Tundra, it's mounted between the back bumper and spare tire with a 2 Gal tank Works great! and on my Jeep I bought a AC compressor and turned it into a air compressor pretty bas ass!

A while back I purchased a Viar setup but it was never very fast so I sold it and went back to an old used but reliable mv50. I only planned on using the mv50 for a couple months until I could order an ARB Dual, now it has been about 2 years and while the MV50 works, it just is not enough to deal with 38's. I have been reading through the threads here and am not seeing any mention of the Sherpa Big Air which is currently top of my list

I do not need high pressures, I am looking for volume.
Here is a little spread sheet I just made showing the CFM comparison between the Sherpa, ARB Dual, and the Extreme Air. Both ARB and Extreme Air seem to be missing a lot of data and the master flow armor did not seem to have any data (I did not spend much time digging, this was a quick look at each manufactures site and a google search of "compressor name CFM)
1598113145749.png

Unless someone can talk me out of it, I plan on ordering a Sherpa this weekend.
100% duty cycle at 80psi
Built in pressure switch and relief valve
Air intake filter
oil free so it can be mounted in any orientation

The only real downside I am seeing is that while it is water sealed it is only IP54 rated meaning it should be somewhat protected so I am not sure I can put it under the cab where I originally planned to mount a compressor

Extreme Outback - more expensive than some but it is a beast and will last forever.

https://www.extremeoutback.com/product-category/air-compressors/

HOLY AMPERAGE DRAW!!! A peak of 100amps. The ARB twin only draws 50. So the Sherpa is like running TWO ARB twins at the same time, which if you double the CFM rate of the ARB it'd be better than the SHERPA.

So yeah, no wonder it's so much more powerful, it's physically a larger compressor with a more powerful motor. Apple-to-apples I'll stick with the ARB Twin or run a ViAir dual with a 2.5 gallon tank.

HOLY AMPERAGE DRAW!!! A peak of 100amps. The ARB twin only draws 50. So the Sherpa is like running TWO ARB twins at the same time, which if you double the CFM rate of the ARB it'd be better than the SHERPA.

So yeah, no wonder it's so much more powerful, it's physically a larger compressor with a more powerful motor. Apple-to-apples I'll stick with the ARB Twin or run a ViAir dual with a 2.5 gallon tank.

Ive known two people who burned thru ARB compressors. I’ve never heard of an Extreme Outback failing. Mines been on 3 trucks and if wired correctly, will always work.

Yes, but doubling the ARB also doubles the price.

Those are nice if you have the room. But I dislike sites that don’t list pricing.

I agree. The form factor is terrible, but they will keep up with a shop compressor as long as your battery holds out. They run $1,600 - $1,900 from Oasis, but you could probably put your own together (with a new motor) for $3-400. All you need is a winch motor, a $25 junk yard A/C compressor, and a little fab skill to hold the two together.

But engine-driven is where they really shine. Once upon a time you could get the brackets from a junkyard to bolt the same York compressor onto anything AMC that you were willing to run without air conditioning. I have one of those setups on an old CJ6 project in the back yard. It was a real performer. Kilby used to sell the kits for those unwilling to prowl the junkyards.

Yup. That's about better than a thousand dollars worth of sweat equity. You can build one yourself in a couple hours for less than an ARB twin. (belts and pulleys) You could build a really nice one for a little more (directly coupled).

I've got most of the parts laying around to put one in the farm truck, but that's so far down the to-do list I can't really see it from here.

Yup. That's about better than a thousand dollars worth of sweat equity. You can build one yourself in a couple hours for less than an ARB twin. (belts and pulleys) You could build a really nice one for a little more (directly coupled).

I've got most of the parts laying around to put one in the farm truck, but that's so far down the to-do list I can't really see it from here.

Yeah that's my challenge - time.

It's more valuable than my money at this stage in life so the ARB twin will be plenty good for me and 35's.

Back
Top Bottom