Aggrocrag's Nissan Frontier

Aggrocrag

Adventurist
My fellow Americans,

I'd like to introduce myself and give a sneak peak of what's to come.

First, I'd like to say that I'm a big fan of this forum, and I really like the vibe here; everyone sharing information, and having civilized conversations.... crazy concept.

Second, a little about me: My name is Craig, I'm active duty Army, I'm out of Colorado Springs, CO, and I am currently not at home. My truck is a 2014 NISSAN (woah, not a yota?) Frontier Pro-4x. I love to camp, explore, and ride my Husqvarna TE310 dual sport as often as possible.

I have had multiple "off-road" vehicles in the past, and was long ago bit by the mod bug. I settled on the Frontier for a couple of reasons:
1. Price. It's no secret the that Toyota tax is a real thing, and having had a couple of Tacoma's in the past, I simply can't justify the added cost.
2. I like that fact that there aren't a bajillion Frontier builds on forums like these.
3. While Nissan is obviously due to update the Frontier, all of the bugs were pretty well worked out by 2014, so this truck should be fairly trouble free for many years to come.

So, on to the stuff you guys care about - what kind of crap am I going to be bolting on to this pig? Well, one large benefit of being on extended work trip, is that I can order and compile a crap load of parts, and not have to anxiously await them being built/shipped.

I bought the truck bone stock with the exception of the ARE camper shell. I added Yakima tracks, but other than that, she's stock right now.

List of parts waiting for install:

Full OME suspension: Heavy coils with 1" spacers pre-installed. Dakar Med leaf pack
SPC UCA's
Nisstec dif breather kit
Shrockworks front bumper with low-profile top bar for LED light bar
20" Rigid E-series combo pattern light bar
Baja Designs Squadron Sport combo beam (amber)
Hefty Fab full aluminum skid plate package
Hefty Fab bolt on rock sliders
Weather tech floor mats, front and rear
SPOD universal kit (I HATE wiring, so hopefully the simplicity of this will be worth the $$)
Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500 lb w/synth line
Factor 55 flatlink expert (apparently this will make me an expert wincher)
Warn medium duty winch accessory kit
Stubby antenna
NOCO Genius Boost lithium jump pack (in case I kill the battery on the trail)
and.....a partridge in a pear tree.

So, as you can see...I've spent exactly one crap-load of US dollars on parts for this thing. I know you all want to see this stuff installed, but you'll just have to wait a little while until I return from my trip...

If all goes according to plan, I should get back stateside right around the same time as my Hefty and shrockworks parts arrive (April). Then this should be a pretty fast build.

Other things planned... Tires (duh): thinking 255 Cooper Maxx's
Also, plan on building a platform/drawer system for the bed that will incorporate a DAC truck tent and a platform extension so I can sleep in the short bed.

That's about it for now... I look forward to getting this truck back-country ready, and share some trip reports with you all!

-Craig

truck.jpg

Well, I’m back, and I’ve been pretty busy lately on the truck.

The first thing I did was install my weather techs and stubby antenna: super easy and both quality parts.

84915075-6D91-4E6D-B472-F7B9E64B57AA.jpeg
C75DB019-9D5E-4DF4-8192-E41AFAA2A892.jpeg

Next I installed one of Rhino Rack’s new 270* Batwing awnings. This thing is amazing! It has all of the poles and guy lines/stakes inside of the rolled up awning, eliminating the need to carry more stuff in the truck. It is also huge, and thus is rather large on the side of my truck, but I don’t think it’s unsightly.
483FB406-2F6F-4109-B4B8-5FF3DAE450FD.jpeg

Next, I de-stickified her.
B774D2C0-D419-42D7-9CE2-80D02F4F5D24.jpeg
1BB66896-25F2-4108-A955-05D918EC0EE3.jpeg

Next up, came time for the install of the full OME lift with SPC UCA’s. I changed my mind at the last minute and went with the heavy kit all around. I haul motorcycles on a hitch carrier, and will be adding more weight in the future. I opted to have Nisstec install my lift, because I just returned from Afghanistan, and am crashing with a buddy right now, thus, no shop space/tools. Stephen at Nisstec did a great job and was a real pleasure to deal with. Very pleased.

On stock 265/75R16
E795ADDC-0339-4033-8456-A529EFC18112.jpeg
34ED17D0-91AD-4B07-8710-FF08D3F38707.jpeg

Next up, Shrockworks front bumper with Superwich Tigershark 9500 winch with synthetic line and Factor 55 fairlead with Flatlink expert.

Measure 47 Times, cut once...
1D6BBFE7-A724-4A25-99FC-E3E9FA6C63E8.jpeg

FYI for any other Nissan guys...you cut 1/2 and inch above the “seam” on the plastic bumper. While Shrockworks makes a great product, they sent me literally nothing in the way of instructions, nor are they on their website...
FE11D5D2-8007-49C0-A63F-9C86365DB8CC.jpeg

Extending the winch control wires, so the plug can be mounted into the integrated hole on top of the bumper.
E193CF0A-A7F4-447F-8075-C40C293A9C5C.jpeg

Done...with the exception of installing the lights, which will be soon. Overall the install was easy, but a hand from a friend or two goes a long way when mounting the bumper.
ECFE43CE-FD87-4D83-B1F8-77CFF2973BA7.jpeg
199E6F8C-0E61-4CF6-AEB3-BD333B71526C.jpeg

So that’s where we stand for now...

In the next week or two I’ll be installing the hefty aluminum skids and steel sliders, along with a sPod and the rigid and Baja designs lights. Then it’s sleeping platform time.

That bumper looks great. (I cut mine on the seam but I’ve heard its better 1/2 above seam too) .

Looks great. I rented a Frontier while visiting my son in Spokane. Great little truck. Thanks for your work serving us all.

Back
Top Bottom