Adventure Planning: Gear Lists

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
This thread is for members to post up their gear lists i.e. what do you keep in your rig full time and what do you take with you on trips or for specific areas/environments?

I'll start with a fairly straightforward setup that I like.

REQUIRED Items to have in vehicle 24/7:

Jumper cables (the heavier and longer, the better!)

Spare tire (a good one, fully inflated-full size is best)

Jack (and the knowledge how to use it.) Hi-Lift Rules.

Lug wrench (the ones shaped like an “X” are easiest to use)

Fire extinguisher rated for oil and grease fires, ABC is best

Small first aid kit

Flashlight-Spare batteries

Headlamp, Spare batteries

5 gallon gas can (store empty - do not store gas inside vehicle)

Maps- local, state, and national

Blanket/Poncho Liner

Spare set of clothes- Clothes for warmth/layers

Spare set of boots-good for walking and keeping feet warm

Gloves- Work and warmth ( Mechanix or nomex flight gloves/fleece contact gloves)

Long term food - MRE, energy bars, hard candy, nuts-change out every season

1 gallon of potable water-you can fill it ½ for winter freezing

Shovel (I recommend a snow shovel in winter, they work good in sand too)

Duct tape

Spare key

TP/baby wipes/wag bags
wink.gif

OPTIONAL/MISSION SPECIFIC:

Tow rope or chain

Tire chains (if driving in heavy snow and ice)

Winter camping clothes - wool shirt, pants, socks(2x), a sweater and jacket,

Tent/tarp

Toothbrush, razor, towel and bar of soap.

Backpack/BOB

Camera and accessories

WINTER:

Ice scraper

Road salt: Take an empty liquid detergent container-clean-and use for salt-works great

SUMMER:

Extra water (bottles are best since if there is a leak, you only lose one and they're portable). Whatever you think you need, bring double that amount for safety.

REQUIRED SURVIVAL KIT/BUG OUT BAG: (Keep these items in the back pack):

1 watch cap/beanie (wool is best)

1 "boonie" cover

Tactical gloves

5 heavy duty garbage bags

1 pocket/sheath knife

1 Leatherman multi-tool

GPS w/spare batteries

Firearm (optional) w/ammo

Handheld FRS/HAM radio w/spare battery

Binos, small, 10x25

MSR pocket rocket w/fuel can

Camelback bladder (preferably integrated into a quality BOB), 3 liter (full)

Nalgene bottle x2 (full) - 5 liters of water can last 5+ days if rationed properly IMO in a survival scenario

Water purification tablets/water test kit/purifier

MRE x3 or Mountain House meals

Small individual first aid kit

1 emergency blanket, Milspec type

1 emergency poncho (think shade/shelter)

Tube tent

1 match safe w/ matches (spare flashlight bulb in here too)

1 compass/thermometer keychain

Maps in ziplock bag

1 whistle

1 signal mirror

Green laser pointer for night time signalling

1 8+ hr candle

Waterproof/windproof matches

1 Bic lighter

1 bunch of heavy safety pins

1 pack misc. heavy needles

1 wire saw

1 50’ Para cord or rope (550 cord)

1 money container- 3 quarters and 3 dimes for phone calls, $20+ for food and coffee or gas

Small write in the rain notebook w/pen

Sunblock/Carmex (lip balm)

Insect repellent

Sunglasses

Socks/UnderArmor type t-shirt

Warming layer

1 set of cheap rain gear, yellow or orange

4 green chemlights

Magnesium fire starter

Film container w/4 vaseline soaked cotton balls or some fine steel wool (tinder!)

1 road flare

2 good carabiners

*NOTE* All BOB contents must be waterproofed i.e.bagged and sealed up.

Good sites for reasearch:
http://www.equipped.com/
http://dougritter.com/DR-aviator_sur...k_contents.htm

REQUIRED MEDICAL: (Keep these items in a small first kit in either the backpack or watertight container)

12 Band-Aids

4 1.5”x2” gauze pads

5 3”x3” gauze pads

10yd medical tape (athletic tape - it sticks!)

2 3” elastic bandage

1 lg. cling roll, 4.5”x4.1yd

1 CAT tourniquet

2 SAM splints

1 moleskin

1 small bottle of Betadine

1 hand sanitizer

1 tube, triple antibiotic ointment

1 tweezers

1 trauma shears (will cut through seat belts, clothes, pennies, etc.)

1 Bottle of Ibuprofen, 200mg - (analgesic(pain relief), anti-inflammatory(swelling) for aches, strains, sprains, and other muscle and joint injuries, tooth-ache, menstrual pain, etc. Do not take with aspirin. 1-4 tablets up to 4 times daily)

1 Bottle non-aspirin pain reliever (acetaminophen, 325mg - best drug for fever and flu, headache, minor muscle and joint pain and menstrual cramps, will reduce fever, does NOT work as a anti-inflammatory(swelling) 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hrs) This is generic Tylenol.

6 nasal decongestant (pseudo ephedrine, 30mg - shrinks mucous membranes and opens airways. Use with caution in hypertension, heart disease, thyroid disease, or diabetes. Also useful as a stimulant to counteract drowsiness. 1-2 tablets every 6-8 hours)

4 antacid (calcium carbonate, 420mg - take as needed. chalk is the same thing and can be used as an expedient)

4 diphenhydramine aka Benadryl

2 electrolyte tablets (to replenish electrolytes in case of vomiting, diarrhea or heat exhaustion)

1 laxative

1 manual: First Aid manual: Wilderness one is best

Epi-pen (epinephrine) if you are allergic to bees!

REQUIRED TOOLS:

1 pliers

1 channel locks

1 crescent wrench

1 vice grips

1 hack saw blade

1 wire cutters

1 screwdriver, standard

1 screwdriver, Phillips

1 tire gauge

Set of Stauns tyre deflators

1 BFH (a good hammer)

Work gloves (White Ox cotton/canvas)

Axe

Shovel

Hi-Lift Jack

OPTIONAL TOOLS :

Full set of recovery gear (gloves, straps, block, chain, shackles, line extension, etc.)

1 small socket set-add a spark plug sized socket if not in it

1 spark plug gap gauge

1 fuse puller

1 12V test light

1 Multi=Meter

1 waterproof flashlight

1 collapsible shovel/pick

2 spare AA flashlight batteries

1 spare flashlight bulb

Automotive manual for your make and model of truck

OPTIONAL ROAD SIDE REPAIR SUPPLIES:

1 emergency fan belt kit

1 radiator and gas tank repair putty can be replaced with “liquid metal”

1 radiator hose repair kit

1 heater hose repair kit

1 hose bandage tape

misc. hose clamps

misc. nuts, bolts and washers

misc. cotter pins

2 rolls, bailing wire

1 fine sandpaper

12.5’ electrical wire

4 alligator test clips

1 roll, electrical tape

1 set of replacement fuses

A quality tire repair kit

1 can, “Fix a Flat”, JIC

1 siphon pump

3 road flares

Thread locker

JB weld

2-part epoxy

Zip ties

WD-40

Rags

Large Funnel

Duct tape, 3M or Gorilla brand is best

"The explorer would do well always to have on his person a compass, a light waterproof bag containing matches, a waterproof box of salt, and a strong, light, linen or silk fish-line with several hooks, a knife, and an automatic at his belt, with several loaded magazines for the latter in his pocket. Thus provided, if accidentally lost for several days in the forest, he will be provided with the possibility of getting game and making himself shelter and fire at night."

-Theodore Roosevelt

From "Through the Brazilian Wilderness" 1914

Last edited:
Great list. I have the majority covered but there are a couple items on those lists that I NEED to add to my kits. Thanks for posting.

Excellent list. You actually have more than I carry, which is rare. Will have to study this. I think I'll add a few things off your list.

I'd suggest a couple other items. I keep a surplus canvas bucket, its required to have a bucket to have a fire on National Forest lands, I also keep my basic best camp gear always in the back, small Coleman single burner multi-fuel stove, a few days worth of food (canned gets really funky texture/taste wise after a winter but wont hurt you to eat it. I toss them and renew each season), dry dog food, down bag, thermarest pad, small pillow, and full winter gear in a duffel in season. The old style military M-16 belt cleaning kits are very useful for nearly any guns. The jointed steel rod is very good. I add an adapter for commercial size jags, a brush for each bore size I may have that isn't in the kit, a brass bore guide, some patches, and a small screwdriver. The old folding 3 bladed ones for the 1903 Springfield are great. The little round Colt ones are also good for keeping things from falling off your guns.

I end up having both an old army folding shovel and a newer trifolder on board.

An old cell phone with car charger is always in the truck. They will still work to call 911. Something to keep I mind, even if you cant get a signal from your service provider, if you call 911 with your regular phone, it will try to locate any signal after failing through your primary provider.

I also keep a couple packs of quick clot, available from Wal mart. Have sutures and forceps as well. Vets and doctors will often give them to you for free if you ask, when they get close to out of date.

Great list Dave. It looks like I'll need to continue to haul my expedition trailer though:) That's a lot of stuff.

Great list Dave. It looks like I'll need to continue to haul my expedition trailer though:) That's a lot of stuff.

One word of caution.... the Green Laser is ok to have, but should be kept off unless an actual emergency exists. As an Air Traffic Controller, we take Laser Reports from pilots often and it's a serious offense. We are required to track it, report the location and feds are notified. You'd be amazed at how far they will point. Be careful there, they are cracking down big time on laser use at night. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/39A

And I have girls, so a proper potty and potty enclosure is a must have in our "essential gear"

Last edited:
Hey Dave, is there a benefit to the Stauns tyre deflators over the ARB or any other type?
Not having used the ARB or others, I can only speak to my experience with the Stauns, and my observations of what others have used.

I like the Stauns because once they are set, you don't have to think about them at all. You screw them on to all 4 valve stems, let them run until they stop, and remove them. Done. You can even put them on at the trailhead and drive with them on, airing down as you go.

I have shared mine with others, so I use 2 at a time, and someone else can use 2.

The ARB requires monitoring each tire to get to the set pressure, one at a time.

Other "set and forget" styles work similarly, but the Stauns have an important feature that others don't. If your tire pressure is too close to the deflator set pressure when you out them on, the deflators won't start. The Stauns have a "starter." If they don't start by themselves, just pull on the center pin to start. Thus can also be used to verify that they haven't stopped too soon.

They also don't require any special tools to set. They have a knurled knob with a lock ring. Others require the use of an Allen wrench to set.

Also, they are all brass body.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Stauns take a little work to get them dialed in the first time, and are a little too easy to get out of adjustment. I recommend some blue thread locker to keep them where you want them.

I prefer ARB deflators, as the valve core puller makes them fast, and you aren't committed to any particular air pressure (I have about 4 different air pressure levels depending on what I'm getting into).

Stauns take a little work to get them dialed in the first time, and are a little too easy to get out of adjustment. I recommend some blue thread locker to keep them where you want them.

I prefer ARB deflators, as the valve core puller makes them fast, and you aren't committed to any particular air pressure (I have about 4 different air pressure levels depending on what I'm getting into).
Different pressure for different applications is something I need to learn about...

I have ARB and Stauns. I primarily use the arb. The Stauns were set once... that was about 8 years ago. Arb is fool proof. Not as convenient but the pressure is exactly what I want it to be. 35x12.5r15 12-15 psi hard pack. 8-10psi for sand (as low as 4 psi but not recommended without beadlocks)

Had my Stauns 10 years now. Love them for all the reasons stated above. Stupid simple and reliable and will last forever.

Back
Top Bottom