About Scepter Jerry Cans

Went to Costco today they have red 20l Scepter gas containers with civilian spouts for $14
20160311_152315_resized.jpg

20160311_152251_resized.jpg

That's why I blasted home to post. I'll predict a lot of boating accidents with the spouts however :D

Thanks for the heads up, btw. Managed to pick a couple of these up over the weekend at a Costco here in SLC.

I bought several used scepter fuel cans 5 or so years ago and added the viton gasket and red retaining strap. A few days ago I was out re-treating my stored gas with pri-g when I noticed that with one can that was empty apparently atmospheric pressure had crushed the sides of the can in, resulting in some pretty severe cracking on the side. It didn't crack all the way through but I have discarded that can and am thinking about getting rid of the other cans from the same purchase.
From JAGMTE:
In regards to the cracked can, that would be the first one I have heard of cracking. The cans are molded using Polyethylene which is extremely resistant to cracking, in fact it is not possible to crack a newer or well maintained can so the crack would indicate that at some point in its service life it was exposed to the sun and or a heat source for a very long time. Clearly it is a serious risk to use the cracked can.

So the earlier poster might want to reconsider leaving them in the sun all the time for years.

I bought several used scepter fuel cans 5 or so years ago and added the viton gasket and red retaining strap. A few days ago I was out re-treating my stored gas with pri-g when I noticed that with one can that was empty apparently atmospheric pressure had crushed the sides of the can in, resulting in some pretty severe cracking on the side. It didn't crack all the way through but I have discarded that can and am thinking about getting rid of the other cans from the same purchase.
From JAGMTE:
In regards to the cracked can, that would be the first one I have heard of cracking. The cans are molded using Polyethylene which is extremely resistant to cracking, in fact it is not possible to crack a newer or well maintained can so the crack would indicate that at some point in its service life it was exposed to the sun and or a heat source for a very long time. Clearly it is a serious risk to use the cracked can.

So the earlier poster might want to reconsider leaving them in the sun all the time for years.

Great post and Welcome to American Adventurist! Stop by our new members thread HERE and introduce yourself!

From JAGMTE:

I have a can that I carried in the bed of the truck under a shell, it formed a crack that sounds similar to what you experienced causing it to lose about 2 gallons of fuel.

Bringing up an old post. I cannot find a definitive answer. Can storing diesel in a MFC be okay with the viton seal or does it have to be the rubber seal? Some says viton is okay but others don't recommend for long term.

Currently have a couple gas versions (viton seals) but might need to switch one over to diesel.

I think I found a confirmation that gas and diesel can use the viton seal but the rubber seal is diesel only.

I think I found a confirmation that gas and diesel can use the viton seal but the rubber seal is diesel only.

I think the issue was that gasoline would cause the rubber gasket to swell and fail so Viton was indicated for gasoline.

I like the Scepter products, my current trailer I have one of their tan water containers which I had to modify the Smittybilt jerry can mount (top strap) to work for the Scepter can.

My new trailer project I'll be ordering 2 more 20L Scepter water cans & 2 AT Overland Equipment Scepter Can Holders.
010.JPG
019.JPG

Back
Top Bottom