A rough start to Jeep life...

soc.diver

Adventurist
I recently bought a 2016 JKU Rubicon because it had all the features I was looking for in my next vehicle and the best selection of equipment as a stock vehicle. 24 Hours after I drove it off the lot it developed 'Christmas tree' dash, where all the warning lights blink on, the speedometer stops working, and the TCS stops working. Now, 8 weeks, 4 visits to the dealer, and 28 days out of service (and they still cant fix it) I am wondering if I made the right decision. Has anyone else here had reliability problems with Jeep?

Thoughts, Advice, General Complaining?

I bought a JKU in February of 2015. By November it had electrical gremlins and transmission problems with only 9000 miles on the odometer. I traded it in on a 2016 Tacoma (and got what I paid for it as a trade in value) and haven't looked back. I fully expected to work on my Jeep as it aged just given the brand's history and reliability track record, but not that early in its life. The Chrysler CANBUS system is an electrical nightmare and I'll never have any part of it again. If I buy another jeep it'll be from the early 90's and I'll enjoy working on it.

I agree the CAN-bus is a complete PITA, even at the dealership level. I haven't been at a Jeep dealer for a few years...nothing about the Jeep electrical that I miss working on.

Trade it in for a Power Wagon. :peek

At this point, it's not worth continuing on with all the headaches. It's time for the dealer to step up to the plate or time for you to get a different vehicle that actually works. That's just me though... I'd be fed up. :wth?

I have always owned Tacomas, so this was a rude awakening... I started the process with Chrysler support to get it replaced after the 2nd visit. Now the question is; replace, or refund and get out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I bought a JKU in February of 2015. By November it had electrical gremlins and transmission problems with only 9000 miles on the odometer. I traded it in on a 2016 Tacoma (and got what I paid for it as a trade in value) and haven't looked back. I fully expected to work on my Jeep as it aged just given the brand's history and reliability track record, but not that early in its life. The Chrysler CANBUS system is an electrical nightmare and I'll never have any part of it again. If I buy another jeep it'll be from the early 90's and I'll enjoy working on it.
Hey Gallowbraid, how is the power in the new taco compared to the jeep? I keep hearing 'underpowered' comments but have never met anyone that had owned both.

Hey Gallowbraid, how is the power in the new taco compared to the jeep? I keep hearing 'underpowered' comments but have never met anyone that had owned both.

I keep reading the "underpowered" comments on the forums as well, but I just don't see it. My seat of the pants dyno has told me they are similar in power and I have yet to find the Tacoma lacking. It does feel different from my wife's '09 4Runner though...that seems to have more get up and go. Perhaps those claiming it's underpowered are comparing it to previous generations of Tacomas. I had never owned a Tacoma before and only drove a rental one ('14) for a month a couple years back. When you start looking at V6 power plants in trucks they're all very similar until you get the Ecoboost engines from Ford involved.

Plus, when it looks this good who cares how fast it goes?
tacoma.jpg
:D

sorry you got a major lemon & lemon of a dealer.

we've had good luck with the JK platform.

first with 2007 JK & 2008 JKUR.

sold them & so far similarly solid reliability with our 2013 JKR & 2014 JKUR.

definitely appreciate the improvements that came with the refresh (interior and engine/tranny)

delivered by winged monkeys

Your next step is to call Jeep Customer Assistance. Start a case with them. Once the factory gets involved, dealerships pay more attention.

Your next step is to call Jeep Customer Assistance. Start a case with them. Once the factory gets involved, dealerships pay more attention.
Yeah, I opened a case after the second visit. I could tell the dealer didn't care at all. I'm trying to get them to honor the CA lemon law without arbitration... we will see.

I am on my third jeep over 20 years and I have actually had only minor problems that I would expect from most brands. Now Jeep dealers on the other hand are a different story, I have only found 2 out of 8 that were worth anything. I would look to see of there is another dealer around to take it to. Good luck, hopefully it works out for you.

I may be biased, but you probably got a lemon.

Chrysler support should take care of you, I have had one other friend go through that process (not a jeep).

I work for a local auto repair facility and see quite a few JK's everything from the minivan motor monster to the new penstars. I would never own a 3.8 but the 3.6s are good motors

Update: the dealer service department was finally able to identify and fix the problem. There was a short in the ABS module that was driving the CANBUS crazy. They replaced the chassis and dash wiring harnesses at the same time. The case manager is supposed to get back to me tomorrow to give me options on vehicle replacement or compensation. This is a weird process; they wait until it is fixed, and then offer me compensation...

I'd demand a factory extended warranty for the duration of the powertrain warranty, whatever that is for Jeep these days. That is a very common option that the factory will give in to (generally speaking). There is no such thing as an extended "bumper to bumper" warranty. Extended warranties don't generally cover cosmetic stuff or exhaust (muffler/cat converter). Ask for a service/maintenance package, might as well swing for the fences and ask for a months car payment/insurance payment for a car you couldn't use.

I'm at a GM dealership, but from what I've seen the factories generally throw the same bones to save a buy back...which gets "fixed" for whatever the buy back concern was, then gets sent to auction and sold with a salvage title.

I'd demand a factory extended warranty for the duration of the powertrain warranty, whatever that is for Jeep these days. That is a very common option that the factory will give in to (generally speaking). There is no such thing as an extended "bumper to bumper" warranty. Extended warranties don't generally cover cosmetic stuff or exhaust (muffler/cat converter). Ask for a service/maintenance package, might as well swing for the fences and ask for a months car payment/insurance payment for a car you couldn't use.

I'm at a GM dealership, but from what I've seen the factories generally throw the same bones to save a buy back...which gets "fixed" for whatever the buy back concern was, then gets sent to auction and sold with a salvage title.
I know Jeep at one point on the JK offered a lifetime drivetrain warranty... As Bob mentioned this would seem like an excellent option.

Back
Top Bottom