A nice ride on a nice day on the Rampart Range

Kevin LaCroix

Adventurist
Update:
I have been busy with a lot lately and have not spent the time to post updates, but I was able to get out today on my, new-to-me, BMW F650GS twin.

Plan:
Today’s route is to go up Mt. Herman Road/(FS320), north on South Rampart Range Road/(FS300) down Jarre Canyon Road/Route 67 and home again.

Though I have done route this many times in my truck, this was a first on the bike.

Conditions:
This morning was cool and clear. The recent rain had washed away the pervasive smell of smoke from the many wildfires currently burning. I took the long way to Monument from Castle Rock, passing the Renaissance Faire Grounds and through Palmer Lakes. Route CR105>West Perry Park Road>South Spruce Mountain Road >105

Routes:
Mount Herman Road is one of three access roads on the eastern side of South Rampart Range Road. It is 13 miles from Monument to South Rampart Range Road. It starts out paved but soon turns into dirt/sand/gravel. It is primarily “maintained” shelf road. It is open all year but is not plowed in the winter. It is a favorite for all types of activity.

South Rampart Range Road is 60 miles from the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs running north to Route 67 in Sedalia, rising almost 3,000 feet to a maximum altitude of approximately 9,500 feet. The road is graded hard pack gravel, with a few small sections of graded dirt. There is a lot of washboard and some rutting, but overall it is a really great ride.

Route 67 goes from Sedalia in the north through Woodland Park, Cripple Creek and down Phantom Creek Road to Route 96 in the south. For this trip I will be taking only the most northern few miles from South Rampart Range Road to CR 105.

CR 105 is listed as a Colorado Scenic Byway.

The Ride:
It was such a great morning for a ride. I packed up a few snacks and water and made sure my InReach satellite messenger and cell phone were charged. I was up early and had plenty of time.

The route from my house, to Mount Herman Road is all pavement, very scenic and generally low traffic country roads. There are many ranches and large acre properties, rolling fields, cows, horse, bison, deer and occasionally pronghorn. Lots of people on two wheels ride these roads.

The South Rampart Range to the west is a constant back drop. You can see the “Sleeping Indian” and Devils Head.

West Perry Park Road is short, and the only real traffic is near the Renaissance Faire grounds on the weekends, but traffic control is present.

South Spruce Mountain Road is a faster road that leads back onto 105 which takes you through Palmer Lakes and Monument. Checking speed is important, as it can be vigorously enforced. Take a right turn on 2nd, in Monument, and a left at the end. Mount Herman Road is across from a playground (east side of road) on the right about 1/2 mile.

Mount Herman Road starts out paved but soon turns into loose gravel/sand. The Mitas E-07 Dakar’s I recently had put on handled it well. I still kept it at an even 20 mph because I did not want to fall. The road forks and there is a parking area to the right that leads to hiking trails. Some mountain bikers park their cars there and ride up. Taking the left, continuing up, the road turns to hard pack and gravel. There are plenty of drainage gullies across the road. I practiced missing the bigger potholes and rocks, ledge and soft areas. Many people use this road. It is not uncommon to see runners, hikers, walkers, cyclists and 4-wheel vehicles. The first 6 miles, while easy, do climb quickly and are a bit rough.

The next seven miles past the National Forest gate are pleasant, fairly well maintained, graded dirt/gravel. The road is more level and there are plenty of places to stop and picnic, take photos and the like. There are also several dead-end off-shoot trails to explore. Mount Herman Road terminates at approximately the halfway point between Garden of the Gods and Route 67.

Those familiar with Mount Herman Road know there a several tight blind corners. One particular corner is very tight and turns into a narrower uphill. The inside corner is loose. I stalled the bike and dropped it, like the novice I really am.

South Rampart Road is a place I go to get away and recharge. There is varied terrain, great views and plenty of areas to stop and relax. The ride on South Rampart Range Road, about 30 miles north to Sedalia, was scenic, smelled of pine and the road varied enough to keep me focused, while still being fun. I did see the back end of a retreating Black Bear soon after turning north; my only bear sighting in the four years of living here, other than in my garage once. As I am getting back on a bike after many years, I started out easy and slowly worked my way up to 30 mph and hit 40 mph a few times. Mostly I stayed between 20 and 30 mph. The more northern part, well used by campers and dirt bike riders, gets very busy on the weekends during the open season. There are about 125 miles of dirt bike and/or ATV trails ranging from easy to expert, from single track to 50” wide (ATV/UTV accessible). There can also be constant vehicular traffic going to Devils Head on the northern 8 to 9 miles.

The ride down Route 67 was easy, as paved roads in good repair are, and twisty enough to be fun.

Reflections:
The bike handled great. The forest was cool. The smell of pine was refreshing. The other people were generally friendly and most waved.

After I stalled and dumped, I got it back up and proceeded to prove my inexperience. I aimed for the firmer outside corner. The bike got away from me as the tires gripped the road and headed across the road towards the bank on the other side. I hit at slow speed, but at enough to cause my bars and front wheel to no longer be on perpendicular axes. I also sprained my ankle when the pannier landed on it. I made sure nothing was seriously damage on myself or the bike and, of course, checked to see if there were any witnesses to my embarrassment and made sure I was not in anyone else’s way. Thankfully, there were no witnesses, nor was I blocking anyone. I picked up the bike, rode up to the end of the road and stopped at a flat spot to re-align my bars and front wheel. I also took time to check my ankle and re-center myself. If I could have, I would have made it into a YouTube “How NOT to Ride a Motorcycle” video.

I really enjoy driving/riding the byways of the U.S. I get to see a part of this country few take the time to get to know or appreciate. Since moving to Colorado in 2014 I have really been able to exploit this passion. Every day is an adventure. Each day that allows me to get out and drive the back roads and dirt roads and tracks is a gift.

I have dumped every motorcycle I've owned. If you never wreck, you aren't trying hard enough! Post some pics too.

Yep, there are two kinds of motorcycle riders.....those that have gone down and those that will. Been there, done that.....many times LOL

Where I stopped to fix the bike.

IMG_1416.JPG

Back
Top Bottom