A better trail trash bag?

Dave B, we have a new test bag in the field as we speak with International 4-Wheel Drive Trainers Association trainer - Tom Severin . Stay tuned. It will have Mil-spec YKK buckles and a material that lasts longer and is stronger than our current material. It's been in the field for 4 months, but i can't rush it to find out it doesn't last. It will also cost about $5.00 more, which actually is really good considering we haven't raised our price in we started the game 10 years ago.

Any update?

I spoke with Adventure Imports and MSA 4x4 (Australia) at Overland Expo West. They make a really good "rear wheel rubbish bin" too in case anyone hasn't seen it.

MSA_4x4_Rear_Whe_4e88375b7da0d.jpg

They also make a bag with a bit more storage called the MSA 4x4 "rear wheel bag" - I had one of these a few years back and it was bomb proof, only complaint was the gray turned purplish in the sun...

RWB-88.jpg

Last edited:
Bumping this back up for 2020 ;)

Seems to be lots of talk from various industry sources on this but it seems to be just that, talk.

The good news is there’s another new offering that may be emerging from a US company, this one could be promising.

https://lastusbag.com/

:independence

Subscribed now that I own a vehicle with a rear mounted spare for the first time. Was looking at BROG for a few reasons (I like their US made map pouch and play in the Blue Ridge Mountains to name 2).

Lot of the changes that some want for a new trail bag. Personally "for me" I like the design of the Trasharoo with the huge pocket with drainage holes & the smaller but deep secondary pocket, the mesh pockets & molle loops is what really appeals to me about the Trasharoo. I like the draw string & the huge flap. Over all the Trasharoo has all the attribute of a good trail bag "for me." The material is heavy duty enough for decent service but could be replaced with a more UV resistant , more heavier thicker material that can give the user more years of use & hold it's color w\o fading, get rid of the plastic quick release buckles for a more solid reliable system like "cam buckles". But I have to remember nothing last for ever especially the abuse these trail bags go thru.
Every year I take mine to the local laundromat for a thorough wash & a good air dry, it almost has that new again look. I've had my Trasharoo since the Group Buy Round Five: American Adventurist Edition Trasharoo 2017. To be quite honest I'm totally happy with the Trasharoo & it's capacity & diversity it can carry. It just needs a few improvements IMO.
056.JPG

30fb93bc-1696-44ac-9c7b-e0b312bfc10d_1_ac5a01b9fffafa9d2a3f0cd1c32d6df5.jpg

Lot of the changes that some want for a new trail bag. Personally "for me" I like the design of the Trasharoo with the huge pocket with drainage holes & the smaller but deep secondary pocket, the mesh pockets & molle loops is what really appeals to me about the Trasharoo. I like the draw string & the huge flap. Over all the Trasharoo has all the attribute of a good trail bag "for me." The material is heavy duty enough for decent service but could be replaced with a more UV resistant , more heavier thicker material that can give the user more years of use & hold it's color w\o fading, get rid of the plastic quick release buckles for a more solid reliable system like "cam buckles". But I have to remember nothing last for ever especially the abuse these trail bags go thru.
Every year I take mine to the local laundromat for a thorough wash & a good air dry, it almost has that new again look. I've had my Trasharoo since the Group Buy Round Five: American Adventurist Edition Trasharoo 2017. To be quite honest I'm totally happy with the Trasharoo & it's capacity & diversity it can carry. It just needs a few improvements IMO.
View attachment 49078
View attachment 49087

The key to longevity with a Trasharoo is to take it off when not using it. Washing helps. I see so many people with Trasharoos mounted all the time and they wonder why they fall apart after a year in the sun.

The key to longevity with a Trasharoo is to take it off when not using it. Washing helps. I see so many people with Trasharoos mounted all the time and they wonder why they fall apart after a year in the sun.

I haven't even really needed to clean mine - just knock the dust out of it so it doesn't abrade the fabric. But yes, Sun is the real killer.

Unclipping and tossing it in the garage with the few other pieces of gear that don't live in the rig is a normal part of the unpacking ritual. I mean, it's two clips, why wouldn't you?

I leave mine on year round, but I also know that it is an expendable item.
I mean, it's two clips, why wouldn't you?

I run mine on a tailgate, not on a spare tire, which means I have to pull the tailgate off to fit the straps through. Translation - Lazy

I agree Mep1811, the sun is hard on them when Trasharoos mounted all year. When I'm not on the trail, my trailer is stored in a large shop build on the farm.
014.JPG

Mine comes off at the end of every trip with the exception of summer when I'm camping or training nearly every weekend. Make the modifications as Arkansas Dan stated and I'd been in. But they haven't many years ago there was a question from the manufacturer, Dave Druck if anyone would be willing to pay for a MIL spec one. That died quickly when the price was going to be over 100 bucks. That was 4 Trasharoos ago. Guess he got the last laugh.

Slumberjack has one now. Anyone see one firsthand? https://slumberjack.com/overland-utility-bin/

That’s great, I like a lot of stuff that Slumberjack makes.

One thing I do see in this bag genre is many companies only offering a green/tan “military” looking option.

I prefer something low key in gray or black myself. More likely to match the vehicle you’re hanging it on.

That’s great, I like a lot of stuff that Slumberjack makes.

One thing I do see in this bag genre is many companies only offering a green/tan “military” looking option.

I prefer something low key in gray or black myself. More likely to match the vehicle you’re hanging it on.
My vehicle starts green then ends up tan on a trip anyway, so I'm covered. :D

Back
Top Bottom