A better trail trash bag?

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
My Trasharoo is dying and I need something that lasts longer in the sun. Here is your chance to influence the development.

Besides UV resistance, what would you like to see in a "wheelie bin" or "spare tire trash bag" type carrier?

Dual compartments (one for trash, one for recovery gear)? Logo? Buckle closure or? Size?

Discuss!

I like the idea of having dual compartments. Also for those of use without a spare tire on the tailgate have other mounting options, maybe even some reinforced grommets through the mounting straps making it easier to rig things up.

I probably just don't need one as big as the Trasharoo. I sort of understand that it was sized with the option to haul firewood, etc., but I've only availed myself of that feature a couple of times (and am less likely to do so going forward.)

The large size also gives it a bit of a "saggy butt" problem on my van because I'm mounting over a cargo box (Storm iM2720), rather than a large spare tire. Since the Trasharoo is so "tall", it sags below the cargo box, even with all the cinch straps pulled to the shortest length.

That said, I love having a convenient place to keep the trash, and having the clips at the "top" of the bag makes it easy to unfasten so I can access my cargo box. Since I'm never likely to throw it over a large tire, I could probably make my life easier if I shortened the main mounting straps quite a bit - having to keep all the extra strap bundled up is a headache I don't need.

Mine is holding up OK, if your thinking on changing I kind a like the style of this. https://ozarkoverlandoutfitters.com/shop?olsPage=products/camp-cover-33-safari-wheel-cover
https://www.campcover.co.za/product/wheel-bin-safari/
rs=w_600,h_600.jpg

Last edited:
Great input guys! I'll make sure that some different manufacturers see these comments! Keep them coming!

@WashingtonTaco any thoughts?

I like the two compartment idea as well.
The size doesn’t have to be as large for my use and of course if it could be more UV resistant.

I need one before mid June if possible Dave...

What would be really nice is to have a mounting system that can stay fastened to the tire/tailgate/whatever and the bag itself can clip/unclip from this mounting system. I always hated having to re-secure all of the straps on the spare tire anytime I removed it (typically went parked between trips) so no one would steal it. I can't tell you how many times I got black tire marks on my shirt having to rap myself and the straps around a 285/75-16 tire.

What would be really nice is to have a mounting system that can stay fastened to the tire/tailgate/whatever and the bag itself can clip/unclip from this mounting system. I always hated having to re-secure all of the straps on the spare tire anytime I removed it (typically went parked between trips) so no one would steal it. I can't tell you how many times I got black tire marks on my shirt having to rap myself and the straps around a 285/75-16 tire.

What a great idea :spy

Having had some issues with the Fastex buckles, I’d like to see metal hardware instead of plastic. Definitely hope to see material that can withstand long-term exposure to the sun, and a minimal and tasteful logo. I’d prefer one large section, especially when packing out other peoples’ trash found on the trail, but a removable divider would be fine. Finally, a bag designed to attach to separate mounting options (tire, tailgate, rack, etc.) would allow for everyone to get the right fit for their needs.

Dave B, we have a new test bag in the field as we speak with International 4-Wheel Drive Trainers Association trainer - Tom Severin . Stay tuned. It will have Mil-spec YKK buckles and a material that lasts longer and is stronger than our current material. It's been in the field for 4 months, but i can't rush it to find out it doesn't last. It will also cost about $5.00 more, which actually is really good considering we haven't raised our price in we started the game 10 years ago.

A spring hoop that holds the top of the trash bag open in camp so I can put trash in the bag instead of into the trasharoo at night.

And a hidden compartment on the one @Brett C has so I can toss used wag bags and dog poop in :)

Dave B, we have a new test bag in the field as we speak with International 4-Wheel Drive Trainers Association trainer - Tom Severin . Stay tuned. It will have Mil-spec YKK buckles and a material that lasts longer and is stronger than our current material. It's been in the field for 4 months, but i can't rush it to find out it doesn't last. It will also cost about $5.00 more, which actually is really good considering we haven't raised our price in we started the game 10 years ago.

Nice, thanks for sharing. Trasharoo has been a great product, it will be neat to see it’s evolution!

For my Trasharoo I made a PVC frame that I could drop in. Then pull out with the bag attached with bulldog clips and use it as a trash can next to the stove. When packing just pick up the frame and trash bag and drop it back into the Trasharoo. So. Velcro separation of internal compartments and make it adjustable.

I've carried more than just trash in the Trasharoo. Bags of ice that were leaking. Firewood that was infested with critters. So my first Trasharoo began to tear right at the seam where the cover flap met the straps that wrapped around the tire. Loaded down those two points were carrying some of the load. So webbing that buckles to close the cover flap and forms a closed loop around the load and carries the weight rather than the fabric.

On my Trasharoos yes plural. I know the sun is detrimental but have you used an OZ tent bag ;) :) I'm fine with my bags but certainly open to new option. I use clips to hold plastic trash bag in mine helps to add trash. I love the idea of being able to fasten or remove from mounted straps to hold. The outside pockets was a feature I liked when added. Dave... glad you are sticking with Made in USA gear on here.

Quick release is a great idea. I personally like the large size and single compartment. I've used it on the roof of my RZR as a storage bag for overnight gear. Tent, pad, sleeping bag, etc. At camp, I've attached it around a tree using black trucker bungee cords. Some quick release buckles and a simple cinch-able belt to make tree attachment easy would be cool.

Quick release is a great idea. I personally like the large size and single compartment. I've used it on the roof of my RZR as a storage bag for overnight gear. Tent, pad, sleeping bag, etc. At camp, I've attached it around a tree using black trucker bungee cords. Some quick release buckles and a simple cinch-able belt to make tree attachment easy would be cool.

I’ve used it in bear country to hoist provisions up into a tree rather than leaving them in the truck.

It’s ideal when one thing can perform several functions.

If everything is on the table for them, they might look at material as well. I have some of these heavy duty vinyl bags. They are very rugged. I don't know about UV resistance. A simple bag, with a roll top and cool mounting system made of vinyl would appeal to me. Maybe also put "Trasharoo" in fine print. "Truck Duffel by Trasharoo". These are easy to clean

Capturez.PNG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom