2019 Ranger build

I'm pretty happy with them taking on the job for me. Over the years I've always liked their design and more importantly...function. My dealership sells the SCA "Black Widow" series of lifted trucks. I think the "rocker protection" on them is ridiculous...they lift a Ranger 5.5" (way too tall IMO) then put rockers with integral side steps that hang down 6"...really, protection that comes with an anchor that will grab anything, like oh... I don't know...a fire hydrant at the mall parking lot.:cool:

I'll never have the "rock crawler" mentality totally exit my melon. Over the years I've become pretty adept at using rocker armor as a pivot point in a tight turn...from what I've seen in White Knuckle's build quality over the years, I get the warm/fuzzy feeling that I could use the same technique if needed without scuffing Machelle's patrol vehicle. Scuffing the armor...kind of what it's built for...

@bob91yj With everything going on did the truck make it to White Knuckle?

Still enjoying the truck? I've rented a couple more since the first one I drove and my impression of them has improved greatly. With the crazy prices out there and the overstock of 2019's sitting on dealer lots I have my eye on one...

@bob91yj With everything going on did the truck make it to White Knuckle?

Still enjoying the truck? I've rented a couple more since the first one I drove and my impression of them has improved greatly. With the crazy prices out there and the overstock of 2019's sitting on dealer lots I have my eye on one...

Which vehicle don't you have your eye on? ;)

Which vehicle don't you have your eye on? ;)

You both know darn well that I won't look at a Honda Ridgeline. Other than that, my new vehicle itch is much akin to a bad case of poison ivy. :D
A buddy of mine that is the new car sales manager for a Ford dealer happens to have a 2019 XLT FX4 in magnetic grey (my favorite ford color) sitting on the lot and it desperately needs a home. I feel sorry for it, sitting there all cold and alone on the lot next to the big mean F150's.

You both know darn well that I won't look at a Honda Ridgeline. Other than that, my new vehicle itch is much akin to a bad case of poison ivy. :D
A buddy of mine that is the new car sales manager for a Ford dealer happens to have a 2019 XLT FX4 in magnetic grey (my favorite ford color) sitting on the lot and it desperately needs a home. I feel sorry for it, sitting there all cold and alone on the lot next to the big mean F150's.

Some Ford guy you are!

"Magnetic Grey" is a Toyota color! "Dark Shadow Gray" (or DSG for the cool kids) is a Ford color.

SMH...

Like a kid waiting for Santa Claus, we're off to White Knuckle for the install and some pics tomorrow. With the way life has been lately, we haven't been out much. Some functional rock rails are another step for the build. armor is "FOREVER" regardless of which direction the build goes... vs cosmetic...why lift a truck for extra clearance and then add rock rails that have "steps" that hang down 4+" that are rock hangers looking for a place to happen? Just saying is all...

Pics tomorrow...bet you can hardly wait!

Last edited:
I got home last night and washed the truck so it would look good for the pictures. I parked it in a different spot as the birds usually nail it a couple of times where I normally park it...got up and went out to the truck this morning...the other half of whatever did this was all over the side of my truck...
E635FFED-2B03-4BA1-B4D9-F75A88B5EB6D.jpeg

Out came the hose to wash the damn truck again at 6am, ended up stopping in Victorville and ran it through a real car wash. I realized my 6am wash sucked when I was getting gas.

The boys at White Knuckle were hard at it, inventory in stacks on pallets. John said that last month may have been his best month ever!
John and one of his guys did the install on the truck...
247FA128-3CD1-4B0E-90D3-ABA440E32A4F.jpeg

Install was pretty quick, one minor notch in the transfer case skid plate was the only modification that needed to be made to the existing truck.

Machelle and I are both very happy with the function and the appearance of the rails.

669513E7-ABF3-464E-BFE9-E4DD7E2D2796.jpeg

Machelle and I are both very happy with the quality/function/appearance of the rock rails.

DD0714B9-614D-41C1-B0B7-827BCA7C8214.jpeg
8BCCE988-A2D4-47B2-BDA8-E715530A9454.jpeg

Many thanks to Dave/Chris for steering me to White Knuckle, and huge thanks to John and the crew at White Knuckle Offroad.

Last edited:
I'm Covid bored...stop reading now if "thread drift" bothers you...the Ranger is technically Machelle's...the '06 Rubicon Unlimited (long wheel base 2 dr, 3 years of production) we traded it in for was her DD...it was a mild, but capable build (4.5" Rubicon Express lift, Kilby armor, metric 35's). That was totally random information that may or may not be pertinent to further ramblings.

Long story, shorter...the new owner of the Jeep tracked me down via some Dust Junkie Racing stickers that were never removed. He found the Jeep at a used car lot on the interweb...after talking to me about the Jeep, he flew out from Texas to the dealer that bought the Jeep at auction, Burbank, CA (if memory serves) and bought the Jeep. He and his buddy came through San Diego on their way home and I loaded him down with spare parts. I had a high clearance hitch mounted rack that I liked, had to sell it to him to load all of the assortment of random parts I had. Thinking about it, Tony (TD 64) gave me an in the box soft top (and I didn't make it easy for him to gift it to me:cool:), it was passed forward to the new owner.

Sadly, the new owner had a catastrophic radiator failure on the drive home. I couldn't believe it, the whole top header (plastic) blew out...stop leak was NOT an option (thread drift x 2, black pepper works as a radiator stop leak, flakes stack up on each other, don't dissolve, but not in this case...visualize a shredded tire and the 12v air pump with a $50 can of fix-a-flat screwed on to it that comes in newer cars, instead of a proper spare tire). Anyway, they made it home.

Still with me?

Just to stay on topic (sort of), I keep finding reasons to walk over to where I can see the truck. Armor is forever, good looking armor is bonus points. My first Jeep (91 Wrangler YJ, do the math:rolleyes:) regardless of future modifications, it's one thing that will survive what I call "gradual growth" of a vehicle. Change suspension, add lights, change the suspension again, new tires, modify second suspension for new tires that were almost free from a bro deal that turned into $2000 in mods to make them work...the same armor you started with should have survived all of the growth.

Probably going to irritate some here (not the first time, trust me)...I don't get all of the lifted rigs I see running around with jungle gym tubing rocker protection and then an obstacle catcher step that hangs down 6". I'm going to be more gentle with this vehicle, less aggressive trail work :rolleyes:, but I still want functional modifications (in the spirit of doing things twice, seriously considering the Ford Performance/Fox Shock package...why...because I can!:cool:) I'd love to think that I could have an adventure/ desert race chase truck like @Zam15 bitching build. Even us old guys can dream!

The point of all of this...regardless of where I go with this build, the White Knuckle rocker protection is there to stay (I even have a valid reason to haul around a 50# Hi_Lift if I wanted to...nah...plenty of virgin Hi-Lifts on most any trail run...I'll stick with my Safe Jack system).

I'm not one to mince words...I just looked at Dave's JT build and saw his Hi Lift jack/mount, etc. I stand by my theory that there are enough Hi Lifts on the average trail run (I still own two of them, given a couple more away) I personally don"t feel the need to carry one, the Safe Jack (bottle jack/w accessories) is a valid alternative. I would NEVER discount the value of a Hi Lift (used correctly) for a solo trip.

My attempt at humor was a failure...:eek:

Truck is looking great Bob, Hopefully we will be allowed to have an MRV this year and see it in person.

Back
Top Bottom