2019 DRV POTLUCK & CAMP COOKING COMPETITION Sponsored by TEMBO TUSK

What are you bringing for the Potluck

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question, the Predictionis for steady wins 10-15 kn with gusts to 20. Do we have to use charcoal with the Dutch oven‘s or can we use a flame from a burner.?
I see no reason you can’t use your stoves burner. It is after all how you’d cook in camp. We have gotten away from the traditional Dutch oven cookoff because it was very limiting with how we all cook now so we opened it up to camp cook off to represent how we actually do cook in camp. So I’d say your good.

No new rules at all really. Prepare a dish of any sort (entree, side, or dessert) on site at the Rendezvous at the MAIN FIRE RING. Simple prep work can be done at home, but please no cooking at home and simply rewarming at camp. Make as much or as little as you wish. The more folks that get to to eat your dish, the more potential voters and hence votes you could get.

Thank you for the clarification. I will be contributing homemade potato salad "non competing" I really want to spend the day exploring not cooking. Thank you guys.

I see no reason you can’t use your stoves burner. It is after all how you’d cook in camp. We have gotten away from the traditional Dutch oven cookoff because it was very limiting with how we all cook now so we opened it up to camp cook off to represent how we actually do cook in camp. So I’d say your good.

THIS

Sorry everyone, I'm out for DRV (steering rack blew out in my rig :(). I had signed up to compete with a dessert, and I am unable to remove my vote (only change it).

I'm in for cajon alfredo chicken pasta with veggies.
No promises that it will be good, but when I made it at MRV, people ate it. :)

See you guys tomorrow.

Still an hour before chow, here are a few cell phone shots.
708E80A9-2FCB-46D2-8456-25C78593CB87.jpeg
A862CBA1-C702-4445-A8DD-B4792F56FCBF.jpeg
FA113CBF-B62D-446B-81D5-77A005B7E8FA.jpeg
D8F7F915-DA41-4226-96C1-1BD170F8C1B9.jpeg
CE419676-5AFF-4ACD-B853-D238204D1597.jpeg
43E4E936-973F-42E5-9FF9-C3B79258E988.jpeg

Well that was a tasty treat on Saturday!

A BIG thank you to those that contributed to the potluck!

A HUGE thank you to those that cooked and competed in the Camp Cookoff sponsored by TEMBO TUSK!!!

Competitors were:
@Mccaf with Green Chili and Beans
@steve c with Cajun Chicken Alfredo
@Barber with Nikki's Chili
@Bald_taco with Sausage Stuffing
@Dave Pike with the Pike Pot of S'mores
@Tim R. with Spicy Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork
@Mojoe Outfitters with Korean BBQ
@TACMEDIC with Overland Spuds
@Tugs with Thai Curry Chicken

WINNERS

3rd Place @Dave Pike winning a Tembo Tusk prize pack with Cookbook and Buzzy Wax
2nd Place @Tim R. winning a Tembo Tusk prize pack with Wine Tote, Cookbook, and Buzzy Wax
1st Place @Bald_taco winning a Tembo Tusk Adventure Skottle Kit w/burner and apron.

All of us aspiring Master chefs would appreciate if the winners would post up their recipes. Unless it is a closely guarded family secret.

Thanks Stuart!!
Here it is.

Spicy Dr Pepper Pulled Pork:

The 2 Dutch Ovens took 20 pounds of pork to fill them so adjust accordingly based on size of your cooking vessel. I used two 12 quart DOs.

10 pounds of Pork Loin sliced into 3 inch sections.(I used it because it was on sale) Pork Butt is also great!
2 8oz cans Chipotle Peppers in Adobo
6- 12oz cans of Dr Pepper
1- Large white onion halved and quartered
6 - pieces of thick smoke bacon cubed
1 - Mesquite seasoning shaken all over the pork once cut up.
1 - Tablespoon minced garlic.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Place DO onto burner or 12 hot coals
Pour tablespoon of the olive oil into DO and let it get hot.
Pour in cubed bacon and cook. Then remove bacon.
Place pork into then DO and brown it. Then remove and place aside
Place all the onion into the DO.
Place the pork on top of the onion.
Pour the chipotle peppers over top of pork.
Pour 3 Dr Peppers into DO.
Spoon the garlic over the Chipotle and pork.
Put cooked bacon back in
Cover with lid. Place 10 coals onto lid or cook with burner.
Remember to rotate meat from top to bottom at least every 30 minutes.
Cook approx 3-4 hours or to desired tenderness. In the last hour I removed and slice the pork into .5" sections. Then place back into the DO.
Add the remaining Dr Pepper as needed during cooking keep moisture in the DO.
When done shred and serve on desired bread and with desired sauce.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom