2018 Titan Pro4x vs. 2018 Tundra TRD Offroad

wesel123

Adventurist
Founding Member
Need a bit of help picking a truck to haul our airstream. Our LC does just fine but we are in need of more room with a new baby coming in a few weeks.

We initially were thinking a Ram 2500 Tradesman with a Power Wagon package but the only one in stock in our area is at a dealer with horrible customer service (I could write a whole post on them). So we have narrowed it down to a 2018 Nissan Titan Crew Cab Pro4x or a Toyota Tundra Crew Max TRD Offroad (not the Pro).

We like how both drive with the Nissan riding the best. Also the Nissan has more bang for your buck based on what we would pay from my buddies dealership, which he has access to both brands.

The Tundra is a great truck but seems to be getting long in the tooth.

I'll truly torn and my only hesitation with the Nissan is resale value and is it as reliable as the Tundra?

Thoughts?

Your prime goal here is to move an Airstream. Neither Tundra nor the Titan win for me when it comes to pulling a trailer.

Get a Superduty or Ram HD diesel. You want torque. Better pulling, better fuel economy (gassers guzzle fuel when loaded down) and exhaust braking.

The braking differences alone between a “heavy 1/2 ton” gasser and a true HD diesel are amazing. My Ram with FWC and everything else stopped better and faster than my Tacoma with upgrades brakes. That “Jake brake” compression braking feature is NICE.

We loved our 2004 Titan. The only trouble we had with it was the paint on the roof/hood oxidized and disappeared. It was in the Mojave Desert sun every day of its life but it still seemed to react worse than most other vehicles. I see other Titans with similar issues here. I should have done more preventative maintenance, I suppose. I just figured it was a pickup and didn’t have to look nice. When I finally decided I should do something, I went to clean up the oxidation and there was no paint left in spots.

If you truly want gas and a Power Wagon I definitely suggest expanding your search. They are out there and 2018 PW are going for good prices. I know Hunter Ram in Lancaster has several. When I was in Temecula about 2 weeks ago the dealer there had a few as well. Mike Key as pictured has enjoyed his PW and Airstream.

But on the other hand, you can't go wrong with a diesel like Dave suggested. And in either the RAM or Ford(My choices due to solid axles) are great choices. Yes it's a little more expensive on fuel and maintenance but power wise at almost 400 HP and average of 900 ft/lb of torque you have power for days with plenty to spare. The PW is at 425 HP and 410 ft/lb and has less tow rating due to its suspension even with a 3/4 ton chassis.

I honestly wouldn't choose a Toyota or Nissan for towing. I have friends who have had or have both and they just can't match up to the US Big 3 in towing power.

ram-airstream-march-16.jpg

Is the only function to pull the trailer or will also be a daily driver? What percent towing/daily driving? My Tundra is a great daily driver compared to my F250. Tons of passing power. It tows good as well.

For what it’s worth, I rarely see issues with the front axles on GMC/Chevy HD trucks. Split CV boots is about the only issue I’ve seen more than once.

I’m a rock crawler at heart, so I get the solid axle argument. I know there are a few folks here that wheel their full size trucks, but you guys seem to be the exception rather than the rule with HD truck owners. I'll trade the ride quality of my IFS for the 95% of the driving that I do over articulation that I personally will never require from my truck.

Best year for a Duramax IMO is 06/07 Classic, if you can find one. Stay away/run from '11/'12's, countless DEF related emissions issues. 2013 and up have been pretty good trucks.

Last edited:
I can't really disagree with @Dave's logic.

If, for whatever reason, you're set on a getting a 1/2 ton gasser, either the Tundra or the Nissan Titan will be capable and reliable choices (assuming you're towing within the vehicle's ratings).

Tundra is just a bit more overbuilt in comparison to most other 1/2 ton's (bigger rear differential, bigger front brakes, lower gearing). But that design is long in the tooth and fuel economy will be pretty abysmal, even before you start towing any weight.

Nissan Titan is a highly underrated pickup. Like the Tundra, it's very well-built, has a solid engine, but unlike the Tundra it has an optional rear differential which can be a huge bonus in certain situations.

Honestly, either one should serve as a good truck. Just don't expect stellar mpg #'s when you start towing. And don't worry about resale value. Pick up a mildly used truck for a good discount, use and enjoy it. You can save money for modifications and fuel by going that route. While neither truck is flawless (same applies for their brands), they are both the type that I wouldn't hesitate to own out of warranty.

We camp about 4 days every month and a half, and our Airstream is only a 19 footer.

Funny the reason for the need for the truck is happening right now!! Wife's waterbroke at 8pm last night so I'm typing this while my wife is getting her epidural.

Would love a 2500 Cummins but the price is out of my range. I was looking at a 2500 Hemi but the deal feel through. And Dave is 100% correct, wish I could afford one but my long time friend is a district GM for Nissan and Toyota so I can get either truck 4 to 6 grand below invoice (plus what ever incentives are out, which are crazy for the Titian's right now). So being able to get a fully loaded Pro 4x Titan for less than 40k is very appealing.

Keep the comments coming, it's good the hear that Nissan trucks are still as reliable as my old Hard Body was.

Funny the reason for the need for the truck is happening right now!! Wife's waterbroke at 8pm last night so I'm typing this while my wife is getting her epidural.

Priorities.

Oh, and congrats!

Congrats on the baby!

Personally, I'd stray away from Nissan/Infiniti all together. They are definitely a good bang for your buck, and very capable for what you're asking, but if you're on the fence between the two and towing as often as you are, you may as well get you what pay for. Between the two, Tundra.

Congrats! My kids always seemed to come with new vehicles too (or did my vehicles come with kids? I don't remember that line on the build sheet).

I dont follow the question though. How does a truck give you more room than a Land Cruiser for another kid? If it pulls the Airstream fine, either truck will pull as good or better depending on which Cruiser. If you are running a 5.7 already, it will be about the same, and previous series would be a step up in power with the trucks.

I thought the 200 would be fine to, but we have 3 four legged monsters to tote along as well ( 2 - 100 Ib and 1 - 40 lb), a 12 year old and the new baby. Did a test run a few weeks ago with the baby seat in place, our 12 year old and the dogs. Suffice it to say that it was bedlam.

Also have some rental properties that I'm always having to borrow my father-in-law's truck for repairs.

So the truck is needed.

Congrats on the new addition to the family!
I'm a big Super Suty fan particularly when it comes to towing but if you don't want the best (!!!) please consider these items when looking for a tow vehicle.
1. A 3/4 ton truck comes with upgraded frame and brakes over a 1/2 ton
2. The longer the wheelbase the better it will tow and the less sway you will have to deal with.

Either way congratulation on the new family member!

Have you tried Dennis Dillon or Dave Smith in Idaho ? I got my 2017 3500 CCLB 4x4 Cummins G56 tradesman there for $42,500 before fees. Also recently saw some nice power wagons at 49,000.

Back
Top Bottom