2018 Taco TRD Offroad

Cascadia 4x4 solar panels added today with a Victron MPPT solar charger.
IMG_20200802_151237.jpg
IMG_20200802_150841.jpg
IMG_20200802_150846.jpg

Last edited:
I was very interested in those solar controllers and was planning on using that to charge by aux battery. They're pretty impressive. I may end up going with the Redarc BCDC 1225d because it handles a variable alternator, and has a mppt solar controller with solar priority charging. If I don't go with the Redarc, it's 100% Victron and my aux battery won't be tied into the truck's 12v system.

Did you glue that panel to your hood?

I was very interested in those solar controllers and was planning on using that to charge by aux battery. They're pretty impressive. I may end up going with the Redarc BCDC 1225d because it handles a variable alternator, and has a mppt solar controller with solar priority charging. If I don't go with the Redarc, it's 100% Victron and my aux battery won't be tied into the truck's 12v system.

I'm planning on swapping out the Renogy in my portable solar setup with another Victron.

I was going to seal this one up in a project box too to keep it free of mud, dust, etc. but I couldn't find a box in the dimensions I wanted. It's sealed so it ended up as you see in the pics. I may reroute the cables from the solar panel. Right now they're fine but this winter I see that cable run trapping ice from windshield melt.

The Antigravity battery monitor is no longer needed. Anybody want one cheap?

Rego shock guards in. You have to undo the axle u-bolts to mount it. I need a half inch impact wrench. I also need to add a 22 mm deep socket and an 18 mm wrench to the tool set that I carry.
View attachment 52460

Used a vernier caliper to make sure they were all equal before I started to torque them down.
View attachment 52461

Leaving a tool out in the sun sucks. Leaving one of these black Stanley tools out in the sun takes sucks to a whole new level. Grab a hold of one of these after it's been sitting in the sun for an hour.
View attachment 52462

I installed the Rago 5th gen 4Runner shock guards on my GX 460, direct fit! I have been happy with them thus far.

Rok Block installed. The 4" width works well on the Tacoma. About an inch and a quarter onto the composite bed. Snug up against the bed stiffeners. Then about a half inch on the sheet metal underneath the Mountain Hatch. Could work for the OEM panel too.

Easy install if you don't lose the plastic clips that holds the panel on and you spend 30 minutes looking for a white clip on a concrete driveway.

IMG_20200808_124749.jpg

@Timbren-Industries

The OME Darkar Heavy leaf springs use an M14 u-bolt with an inside depth of 20cm and 15cm to the top of the u-bolt plate.

Will this kit work? It looks like it will. It looks like OME leaf packs used for the product pics.

So to follow up on this. Timbren let me know that the kit will work with the OME Darkar Heavy leaf springs.

Meso chrome delete kits installed. I've been sitting on these for months not wanting to get into disassembling the dash, center console, and switches to remove the chrome rings. House chores already done and it's a long weekend so I had no excuses.

Don't know what I'm going to do about the steering wheel emblem and the glove box key. Maybe attack them with a black sharpie :lol. Or just leave them
IMG_20200905_131148.jpg

Last edited:
Someone prints a plastic cover to cover the logo on the steering wheel. It's about $20. I'll look and see if I can find it again.

Someone prints a plastic cover to cover the logo on the steering wheel. It's about $20. I'll look and see if I can find it again.

Meso. After I posted. I'm looking at all the effort they went through for the chrome rings on the switches. I'm thinking that they must have covered the steering wheel emblem already.

https://mesocustoms.com/collections...ing-wheel-emblem-cover?variant=31860451704945

They also got covers for the chrome door handles.

https://mesocustoms.com/collections/interior-accessories/products/tacoma-door-handle-covers

Nothing for the mirror control on the door. There are suggestions to get an alternate switch from Toyota. PN: 84872-0E020. Cheapest I can find was $113.

Tacoma world had a 3D printed cover. It look like a bottle cap.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/787036219/toyota-tacoma-power-mirror-switch

Decided to roll my own with a soft polyurethane cover.
https://www.sculpteo.com/en/print/mirror-switch-cover-4/NdyCneiF

I've seen some people spray the emblem with Plasti-Dip. A bit more work, but it looks better than some of those covers.

I've seen some people spray the emblem with Plasti-Dip. A bit more work, but it looks better than some of those covers.
That may be the route that I eventually go with. I've ordered an emblem cover from Meso. I want to see how it looks.

That may be the route that I eventually go with. I've ordered an emblem cover from Meso. I want to see how it looks.
I put some the vacuum-formed covers on from Lux Nox when I first bought the 4Runner and they still look good four years later. Install tip: After thoroughly cleaning the logo surface and removing the adhesive film, press the cover on with a rag or towel to spread the load out. I slightly cracked one of the individual letters pressing too hard in a corner.

13072832_831659023630671_5993338493019729067_o.jpg

13173511_831658763630697_495583514240786905_o.jpg

Leaf springs were sounding like newlyweds on an old box spring. Got the Tacoma up on jack stands. Power washed the underside concentrating on the springs with the weight off the rear axel. Then hit the springs with a can of dupont teflon dry-film lubricant and everything else with fluid film. Man, what a difference.

Back
Top Bottom