BlkWgn

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
Saturday 2/24

Drivers Meeting 8:30
On the Move at 9:00
Estimated return 3:00

Difficulty Rating 6-7 (depending on current conditions)
https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/759-pinyon-mountain-road#_=_

Trail Leader: Erik @Celt II

Route
  • Drive to the trailhead on S2 (33.056931, -116.421351) Approx 45 mins.
  • Traverse the Squeeze
  • Traverse Heart attack hill
  • Exit Through Fish Creek Wash
  • Fish Creek Wash back so Split Mountain Rd / Camp
Ham Freq: 2m Ham freq TBD at Driver Meeting

Limited to 10 Rigs

1. Erik @Celt II (Trail Leader)
  2. (Tail)

Recommended Gear:

• Vehicle in safe operational condition
  • Skid plates
  • rock sliders
  • Roll bar or factory installed hard top
  • Emergency brake, parking brake, line-lock or other redundant braking system.
  • Tow strap or kinetic rope (recommend rated at 2 times the vehicle weight).
  • First aid kit
  • Jack capable of lifting the vehicle & tools to change a tire.
  • Full-size spare tire along with tools to repair/reflate tire.
  • Fire extinguisher with gauge indicating good/full, appropriately stored
  • Seat belts for all vehicle occupants
  • Recovery points front and rear - Tow balls are not recovery points
  • Battery hold downs (no bungee cords)
  • Ham Radio
  • Winch
  • Shovel
  • Trash Bags
  • Extra clothing
  • Extra Food
  • Extra Water
  • Hat
  • Flash Light (extra batteries)
As with any offroad excursion damage and breakage is a possibility.

Trail Rating Guide

Rating

Description
Roads are difficult with considerable erosion damage repaired just enough to be passable. Water in excess of 12" is possible with mud conditions. Steps not exceeding 24". Tall tires (33" plus) with traction added devices (lockers, limited slips) are recommended. A winch would be a plus. Enhanced suspension travel and ground clearance are helpful. Excellent driving skills are recommended.

Driver
Experience

Intermediate

Minimum
Tire Size

33"

Lockers
Rear required

Rating

Description
The trail consists of rock; sand and considerable slickrock with many steps exceeding 24". Steep inclines and declines are prevalent. Enhanced off-road equipment is required including locking devices (front & rear), tall tires, maximum vehicle ground clearance, and tow hooks. A winch is desirable. Excellent driving skills are required. Vehicle mechanical or body damage is likely. Roll over possibilities exist.

Driver
Experience

Experienced

Minimum
Tire Size

33"

Lockers
Rear required /
Front recommended

• Traverse the Squeeze
  • Traverse Heart attack hill

In your truck? Wow. I could barely get through the Squeeze in an FJ. Inches to spare.

Slavin_110130_5784.jpg

Heart Attack Hill was a definite pucker moment the first time I went down. Peeking over the edge and that feeling of the rear end getting light as you inched over, weeeeee! I've got some photos somewhere.

Pretty classic Borrego run. Have fun!

In your truck? Wow. I could barely get through the Squeeze in an FJ. Inches to spare.

View attachment 36769

Heart Attack Hill was a definite pucker moment the first time I went down. Peeking over the edge and that feeling of the rear end getting light as you inched over, weeeeee! I've got some photos somewhere.

according to the googles, I am only 4.5 inches wider than an fj . . . . .

and you will notice, I am not leading the run :coffeesmile

according to the googles, I am only 4.5 inches wider than an fj . . . . .

and you will notice, I am not leading the run :coffeesmile
Brian measured our vehicles and track width wise you weren’t the widest remember?

This is a shot of my rock Jeep going up Heart Attack Hill (I know the maps show down hill only)...notice the guy standing at the bottom of the pic to give it some scale.

20040617142506_IMG_0161.jpg

That was a few years ago right? I think I remember that, you were one of the first to go through in a FJ. You were famous for a while :eek:

That was a few years ago right? I think I remember that, you were one of the first to go through in a FJ. You were famous for a while :eek:

you mean i was famous and didn't even know it? damn. do i get another shot at my 15 min? :cool: :D

yea, it was a few years ago. 2011. there was a group of 4 of us that did it together.

This trail is super fun so hopefully we will get some folks to sign up. If anyone has any questions about it's difficulty or if they think they should try it post up here or send me a PM. I'll do my best to help spot anyone who needs it on this and get everyone through safely. It's always a really fun run with some great photo op's throughout.

Are there any bypasses that could be taken?

No bypasses on this one, must go through the squeeze and down heart attach hill. You could go up fish creek and meet the group at the base of the dropoff (and exit the way you came), but if you come in from the S2 side you must face both obstacles.

I'm considering on signing up for this and giving it a try, but I've never been to the Anza-Borrego area.

Has anyone completed this trail with 32s and a rear locker?
I'm willing to try, but don't want to be a nuisance for those who are more capable.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
Bryan Rush
Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 3.11.13 PM.png

I'm considering on signing up for this and giving it a try, but I've never been to the Anza-Borrego area.

Has anyone completed this trail with 32s and a rear locker?
I'm willing to try, but don't want to be a nuisance for those who are more capable.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
Bryan Rush
View attachment 37176
If you dont get a response back before DRV, id say talk to the two run leaders of each run and see which you may be a better fit for but definitely go on one of them.

I agree with @woody, I'd be leery about taking that through the squeeze and down Heart Attack Hill. Not saying it can't be done, but there is a fair probability that you'll scuff your patrol vehicle on that run.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll be on the Friday run for sure!

Bryan

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner on this. In looking at your truck you would be fine on heart attack hill. I would be very nervous for you through the squeeze especially if you crunched up a panel. I think going on the Friday run may be a little better as much as I would love to have you along.

Put it this way, I have a 03 tundra which is very capable to get to the squeeze and maybe do the hill, but fitting in the squeeze and not doing body damage is another thing. It is a fun run, it's just what is your comfort level.

Thank you, everyone! I'll be on Friday's run for sure.

If you see my truck, stop by and say hello so I can put a face to the rig. lol

Bryan

Since the event starts tomorrow and I haven't had anyone sign up for this run I'm going to cancel it. Maybe next year we can get it up and running!

Back
Top Bottom