2018 Desert Rendezvous Clean-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Adventurist
Founding Member
This thread is for information about the clean-up activity at the Desert Rendezvous.

We will be cleaning up trash and debris from the shooting area on BLM land. There will be a safety meeting prior to the beginning of the clean up. BLM Rangers will be on site to confirm the range remains closed while we are working.

Please bring work gloves and wear eye protection.

5 gallon buckets seemed to have worked well in the past to hold small bits like spent casings and clay pigeon pieces. Plastic bags can only hold so much. 5 gallon buckets can purchased at any DIY center. Orange, grey and white are available at the big three. I'll let you figure out which carries what color. They are also available in a myriad of colors from on-line retailers if style matters.

There will be a couple of trucks/trailers that will ferry items collected and brought to the road, down to the dumpsters. Trailers will have larger trash cans on them. Please dump 5 gallon buckets into these cans. There will be water for all on these trucks. STAY HYDRATED.

For safety, we'd like to stay within 100 yards of the road/railway. Most of the debris is in this zone. Any large items out beyond the 100 yard range will be evaluated by STAFF.

As this is the desert there is a good likely hood of snakes and or insects, and some of the debris will be sharp. Please be aware of your surroundings, think about where you are putting your hands and keep a watch out for your neighbors. It does not matter how much we clean up if people are getting hurt.

Thank you all for coming out to help out at past events. We look forward to seeing you in February!

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch for snakes. I picked up a weathered clay pigeon box two years back and there was a rattle snake coiled up under it.

Buckets are a brilliant idea.

Yes - and if there is a snake, leave it alone and let others know. It's no big deal and they'll most likely want to be on their way if discovered.

Do not attempt to move or harm any snakes if found, just live and let live.

The snake I found didn't even twitch, it was coiled up possibly in a hibernation state.

I want to thank all the folks that helped collect the debris in the shooting area during DRV18 this year. We filled two rolloff dumpsters again. Can't wait to get the total weight of what was collected. Extra thanks to those that brought and donated gloves. You got away from the checkin table before I could get your name. Please post up so we know who you are. :)

I wound up with some extra buckets at the end. I'll keep these for next year.

Thanks again everybody. Proud of this community and the good things you folks do.

Every year my mind is COMPLETELY blown!! The sheer volume of trash that volunteers collect and have removed from our lands is an inspiration and just one more thing that makes me proud to be a member of our organization and it's members!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom